Cloning Strategies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonecitybrewco

Reaction score
How is everyone cloning from softwood cuttings? I have seen the water bottle method and the straight potting soil method. Anyone have anything different? Not sure if either works with sidearms, but wanted to see what people are doing.

taking a piece of rhizome.
"Marcottage", > sorry, I can’t translate into English

I am speaking of softwood cuttings, or cloning from live growth above ground, not necessarily from rhizomes. Thank you, though. Merci beaucoup!

I picked off a shoot from the bottom, maybe 7-8cm tall, put it in a shot glass full of water put in window seal, it shot out a lot of roots, planted in soil. Last i saw it it was like 1m tall . I did get some rooting hormone I may try . No experience with side arms, you got nothing to loose trying it though.

I've had better luck in water overall, but some of my varieties don't seem to want to make roots that way. I do suspect my IBA hormones may no longer be very fresh and effective though.

"Marcottage" is layering. You take a shoot and then bury a part (literally or essentially) of the still-attached stem.

I have successfully cloned using both techniques. I use a hydroponic cloner if I am taking mass clones. Basically it is a small aquarium (submersible pump) and several defusing stones or air stones properly spaced out with an air pump supplying the bubbles . A very small amount of rooting hormones. And walla!
Usually about a week tops and roots popping out.
This is Essentially a more complex version of switching out water in a cup or bottle to ensure that there is some dissolved oxygen in the water.

My gramma believed in using a semi rooted willow (roots present) in the same water as what ever she would clone (she never used rooting compound) and cloaned all sorts of species just by letting what she wanted to cloan soak in same water as willow.

I also use 1" by 1" tiny pots. I essentially train the hop bine to go down into one of these little containers. I usually strip the leaves off of the stem at the node where I want the hop to grow roots. Make sure the node is fully submerged below the soil. And keep that area moist usually takes about week to 2 weeks and you will see little Rootlets sticking out. Snip the bine off of the mother plant and bam new clone. I usually only use this method in early Spring or when I don't want to set up my cloner and only want to take a few clones.

Anyway I wish you luck with your cloaning needs.

I've gotten the runners to root by laying them in a shallow planter, (still connected to the main plant) covering with potting soil and letting them grow for the season.

Back