Clearing apple wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VAHokieBrewer

Reaction score
We have apple wine that we racked a second time about 3 weeks ago and does not appear to be clearing. Any ideas would help.

image-1154106893.jpg

I'd top it up and let it sit a bit. That's a lot of headspace.

To clear it, it'd be helpful to know what's causing the haze. If it's a pectin haze, for example, pectic enzyme will clear it. If it's a yeast haze, bentonite will clear it. KC finings (which have both positively and negatively charged finings) will clear just about anything. But the best clarifier is time. It sure looks young, and like there is still some sediment that will drop out on its own.

Cooler temperatures, as little as 10 degrees cooler, often will cause clearing so that would be my first choice.

Just my two cents. I had an apple wine that I made with pectin enzyme. Ruled out all other causes for hazes. I degassed, warmed it up, cooled it down, used two part finnings, and nothing worked.

I shoved it to the back of the cupboard and it cleared by itself after 10 months.

Back