clearing and carbonating cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrewnoob

Reaction score
Hi sorry if this has been answered in another thread.
Im new to home brewing and am still learning the fundamental principles,ive made a couple batches of cider (inmate brew style) and they came out reasonably good. However im wanting to clear the cider as well as carbonate it.The last batch i carbonated with priming sugar and it worked well but was still cloudy,even after sitting a few days in the fridge.

What is the best way to get the desired result? someone suggested using carbonation drops but will these still work if ive added a clearing agent and killed off the yeast?

sorry if the answers obvious.
if someone could offer some advice that would be awesome!
thanks very much!

Using pectin enzymes or Irish moss prior to pitching your yeast will help clear out your cider. Additionally, if you didn't already know pectins set in if you boil your cider to sterilize the microbes which will lead to a very cloudy cider. In regards to the carbonation drops, if you don't have yeast to consume the sugar in your carbonation drops it is impossible to carb up your cider. Carbonation drops are just premeasured dosages of sugar.

I agree with Icarus that an important factor in creating a bright and clear cider is to remove the pectins and you do that by adding pectic enzyme a few hours before pitching the yeast. The other really important factor is... patience. Wines will eventually clear by themselves. Gravity over time will slowly force the particles to drop out of suspension but what often keeps fruit and yeast in suspension is the carbon dioxide that is dissolved in the liquid so as the CO2 slowly outgases then the particles drop out as lees and sediment. If you remove the CO2 the particles will tend to drop out.

Icarus suggests the use of Irish moss (a brewer's solution ) but I think IM needs to be heated to work (not certain of that) but adding heat to the cider will set pectins so you don't want that. Wine makers tend to use Bentonite or other clarifiers (eg Kieselol, Chitosan, Isinglass, gelatin, egg whites) and they work but apart from the clay the others are animal products.

Adding pectic enzyme in the primary helps greatly to clear the cider. But you need to give the process enough time for fermentation to complete to the point where it's no longer dropping lees. Then the clearing will start happening.

I add the pectic enzyme when I pitch the yeast.

16499267198_e4a72fb063_z.jpg

thanks very much for your replies! ive heard of using Isinglass and gelatin but i shall try adding a pectic enzyme before i pitch my yeast and see the difference it makes. cheers!

I'm making the brewers best cherry cider.
The instructions call for 1 tablet per bottle.
The package of tablets says 4 tablets per 12 oz. Bottle.
So what's the correct amount of tablets?
Should I skip the tablets and just do the standard sugar in botteling bucket method?

5 gallons
o.g. 1.051
So far 5 days at 65°-73°

Follow the instructions that came with the tablets as there are different brands and sizes

Back