clear beer without whirlfloc tabs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

febbrewro

Reaction score
Just got done brewing an IPA. Before I started, I went to get all my ingredients together when I realized I was out of whirlfloc. Too late to run up to the brew shop, so I just brewed without it. Is there any way I can get a clear beer at this point? Not a huge deal, the taste will still be there, just wondering if there are any tricks of the trade.

I never use wirlflock, and half the time I forget the moss, and my beer is extremely clear. All I do is a month long primary which gives plenty of time for the yeast to do their job, clean up after themselves and then flocculate out. And the trub cake becomes nicely compact over that month, and just enough yeast racks through to carb up.

Let it sit long enough and it will clear up. I just use fining agents because I usually can't wait. The last few weeks I've really been working to build up my pipeline, though, so pretty soon I'll probably stop worrying about it.

You could try gelatin finings in the secondary. Never tried it before but am contemplating doing it on my next batch.

I too let it sit in a month long primary (or 21 days I should say). At day 18 I turn the freezer/fermentation chamber down to 35 and cold crash. From day 1 to transfer day I never move my sanke fermenter kegs from the freezer in which they sit. I think this is also key to racking clean/clear beer. I also use gelatin but at this point I don't think it is necessary....once I run out of KNOX gelatin I'll try without it and see

i've been in the same boat a few times, the beer will drop brite after a few weeks in the primary and cold crashing is a huge help. even if its not clear before bottling, it will eventually clear in the bottles when then are chilled... just might have some more sediment in the bottles.

For about the last year or so, I haven't used Irish Moss and haven't noticed anything amiss for cloudiness. So far, it's working, so I'm gonna stick with it.

You can use gelatin In your secondary to clarify your beer.
I started filtering a few batches ago. I really like the result but it does require more time.

Back