Cleaning with a garden hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoplobster

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but who uses a garden hose just for cleaning?

My wife is getting pissy at the little messes that are made inside after brewing, and all I do is clean the kettle, mash tun etc in the kitchen.

Are they any concerns when using a garden hose to make a star san solution or just for rinse water? My being water all comes from the inside drinking tap...

No, there are no concerns about using a garden hose for cleaning brewing equipment.

It's one of the best things about summer brewing! Hose is so much faster.

No need to sanitize kettle or mash tun.

I use the garden hose quite a bit on brew day. Great for the mash tun, manifold, random buckets, wort chiller and occasionally spraying the dog (he's funny-looking when he gets wet). I also use it for cleaning my kegs and fermenters.

Cheers.

And get your wife used to messes it the kitchen. I've got water and sometimes beer and wort splashed all over the floor on brew or bottling day. I've never been on a brewery tour that didn't have these things on the floor too, so I don't feel like a dork if I spill a little of something sometime.

Make a mess and clean it up. On brew day, the kitchen is part of your brewery.

I have a big stainless sink and I still prefer to take the kettle out to the back yard and clean it with the garden hose.

Make a mess and clean it up. On brew day, the kitchen is part of your brewery.

I get upset with my wife when she leaves a mess in the brewery and I need to start my brewday by cleaning dishes in the sink.

OP: I wouldn't worry about cleaning with garden hoses. If you want to use it for more than cleaning though, go get some RV hoses from the hardware store. I use them to fill my kettle on the stove among other things.

I get upset with my wife when she leaves a mess in the brewery and I need to start my brewday by cleaning dishes in the sink...

I do dishes before a brew day starts sometimes...

... but I never start a brew by doing dishes. I start a brew day by filtering my water and getting ready to turn on the burner for mash water.

Sounds like you need to take on some of the household duties and quit making your wife do all the dishes. :D

I do dishes before a brew day starts sometimes...

... but I never start a brew by doing dishes. I start a brew day by filtering my water and getting ready to turn on the burner for mash water.

Sounds like you need to take on some of the household duties and quit making your wife do all the dishes. :D

:) Actually, i wash far more dishes than my wife since I prefer to have the beer glasses washed by hand, but neither of us wash as many dishes as Mr. Whirlpool. Generally all she washes is baking pans on the occasions she bakes. I jokingly referred to the kitchen in our last place as the brewery since I brewed more often than anyone cooked in there.

Back