Cleaning station build - Max diameter brew kettle/corny keg drainer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GratefulBear

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm building a cleaning station and I only want to do it once. I just started getting into beer (after only doing cider) and I'm wondering if I were to get a true brew kettle in the future, what's the maximum diameter I should build my cleaning station to handle? Also, do they make any stands/drainers that can handle corny kegs (upside down)? Something similar to this, but for corny kegs: Amazon.com: Blue Carboy Drainer : Home & Kitchen

Thanks guys and gals

The Blue Drainer works well for a carboy. I made my own for Corny Kegs out of PVC. Same for Kettles. I had PVC Supports for the Corny Kegs as well as a center one with a nozzle to Clean the keg. It fit over a 5 gallon bucket. Worked well but eventually went to the Keg WaSsher. Only issue was timing as you needed to Clean, Then Rinse then Sanitize all with the thing in the Keg. On the PVC one, I had just a garden hose connected to PVC to rinse so I had two stations. I used an electric valve to time the rinse. We then used StarSan to sanitize buy pouring in about half a gallon and leaving in the keg.

The Blue Drainer works well for a carboy. I made my own for Corny Kegs out of PVC. Same for Kettles. I had PVC Supports for the Corny Kegs as well as a center one with a nozzle to Clean the keg. It fit over a 5 gallon bucket. Worked well but eventually went to the Keg WaSsher. Only issue was timing as you needed to Clean, Then Rinse then Sanitize all with the thing in the Keg. On the PVC one, I had just a garden hose connected to PVC to rinse so I had two stations. I used an electric valve to time the rinse. We then used StarSan to sanitize buy pouring in about half a gallon and leaving in the keg.

I've seen a diy stand before made out of pvc. In a youtube video, the guy made his own version of a Bucket Blaster or Keg WaSher using a pvc cross (with 8 inch or so extensions coming out of the cross) resting on a 5 gal with a hole drilled in the middle of the cross for the cleaning stem. Was yours something like that?

I took a PVC End Cap and drilled holes in them. Took me a couple of times till I got one I liked.

Our cleaning process was:

1. When a Keg was Empty, Rinse and fill to to the Brim with water.
2. At OxyClean in Cold water Overnight before cleaning.
3, Save PBW from Brew Cleanup.
4. Clean Kegs with heated PBW for 15 minutes (including both Inlet and Outlet with Ball Lock attachments)
We used a sump pump in a 5 gallon bucket. Our PVC thing set on top. We did this outside as it was a very wet process and we lost PBW each keg cleaning.
5. Rinse for 5 minutes with heated water
6. Add 1 quart fresh Starsan. Shake Keg and expel a little through the Outlet.

Lids were cleaned separately.

I took a PVC End Cap and drilled holes in them. Took me a couple of times till I got one I liked.

Our cleaning process was:

1. When a Keg was Empty, Rinse and fill to to the Brim with water.
2. At OxyClean in Cold water Overnight before cleaning.
3, Save PBW from Brew Cleanup.
4. Clean Kegs with heated PBW for 15 minutes (including both Inlet and Outlet with Ball Lock attachments)
We used a sump pump in a 5 gallon bucket. Our PVC thing set on top. We did this outside as it was a very wet process and we lost PBW each keg cleaning.
5. Rinse for 5 minutes with heated water
6. Add 1 quart fresh Starsan. Shake Keg and expel a little through the Outlet.

Lids were cleaned separately.
Cool, thanks. Did you happen to make a youtube video? It sounds like the one I watched.

Back