Cleaning / Sanitize Kegs & Lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieM

Reaction score
I wanted to share how I do my kegerator and equip to get some opinions.
1. After rinsing I use Oxi Clean Free on the inside. Slosh around real good then it gets pressured up and the solution goes through the lines and out the tap, emptying the keg.
2. Rinsing I repeat the procedure, pressuring up and flushing the lines.
3. To sanitize I again repeat the process using StarSans. But after the sloshing, I let it sit for about five minutes in the keg before flushing through the lines.
I built this last July and so far I've had no bad beer or tasting issues. Just wanted to get other thoughts on this procedure.

I essentially do the same but I use BBRITE @ one tbsp per on w/ hot water after a basic rinse. I fill the keg & let it sit 45-60 minutes. I rinse the keg throng kegerator lines then rinse se the keg &I SS thoroughly w/ h
Kwan hot water. Last I rinse w/ StarSan ( lines & keg).
Dump StarSan from keg, depress liquid out poppit to drIn then lightly pressurize the keg w/ CO2. Ready for next use.

You don't take off the posts and clean the diptubes?

If you don't, just for fun, take the 'out' diptube out next time and eyeball it by holding it up to the light, and clean out the crud from the posts/poppits inside.

Even in non-hoppy beers, there is usually some crud around the o-ring on the poppit, and in the diptube. In a hoppy beer, there is usually all kinds of crud in the long diptube, around the poppit and inside the spring.

It's pretty gross.

Once a keg is foamed, I rinse the keg with hot water and rinse the lines, hook up the next keg, waste a half pint to clear settled yeast and water in the line. The keg gets Star-saned right before its next filling.

Once every few kegs I will disassemble and clean pop-its and dip tube with BLC then run it through the kegerator lines.

Once or twice a year I will remove, disassemble, and soak faucets.

The inside of the kegerator gets a good simple greening when both kegs run out at the same time or when the CO2 goes dry.

Pretty much exactly how I do it. I like to let the keg sit upside down with oxyclean for a while to get inside the posts. Every so often I will take all the kegs apart and clean everything real good.

Latest posts

Back