cleaning MLT and another ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninkasi2012

Reaction score
I just got a mash tun cooler - do you guys take apart the tap to clean and sanitize it ?

Another question...I'm using an ice bath to chill my wort. Should I whirlpool right away, put the lid on and leave it ? Online there seems to be different theories to whirlpool hot or cold.

Last question....I'm using a hop bag...is it necessary to run wort through another Strainer or can I put it directly into my fermenter ?

Yes, take you tap apart and clean it. You don't have to sanitize anything that is used pre-boil.

I whirlpool right away. It settles the trub and helps cool the wort faster, I think.

I don't use a hop bag, I can't help you there.

I never remove my ball valve from my MLT, and I actually asked that same question on this forum a few months back. Most people said they didn't either. Clean the MLT good right after use and drain plenty of water thru the valve and it should be fine. You never have to sanitize any part of your MLT.

As far as straining wort.. That is a personal preference. A lot of people just dump it all in the fermenter. Others don't. It all settles out in the trub!

thanks guys! if i don't have to sanitize mlt cooler and take it apart that saves a ton of time!

I never remove my ball valve from my MLT, and I actually asked that same question on this forum a few months back. Most people said they didn't either. Clean the MLT good right after use and drain plenty of water thru the valve and it should be fine. You never have to sanitize any part of your MLT.
Same here. I think I've taken apart my ball valve once for cleaning in 18 months of all-grain brewing. I just fill it with the first (hottest) water output from my immersion chiller and let it soak while I finish my brew day, then drain through the valve. I give it a good clean with OxiClean every few uses.

I just fill it with the first (hottest) water output from my immersion chiller and let it soak while I finish my brew day

I do the same thing. I fill it with the hot water, and then I close the lid and let it sit until I'm done chilling. Then I stick the chiller in the hot water to clean it off. After that I wash the cooler with the same water and then drain out. Then a quick rinse and I let it dry in the sun. I don't even use oxiclean or soap..

It was really hard to make my ball valve assembly leak free, so I don't want to remove it and have to get it leak proof again..

Back