Cleaning metal strainer (Square collapsible)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GonzoIllini

Reaction score
Hey everyone, question about what to do with my metal colander / strainer that I just used for the first time.

First of all when straining out my latest brew (Brewers Best Holiday Ale) it got filled with hop / spice debris and clogged about 4/5 of the way done with adding my wort to fermenter.

After my fermenter was clean and put away I put my attention toward cleaning this strainer and brew kettle. Well after spending 15 min of hot water and elbow grease, and an overnight soak in straight A, it still had hop / grain residue stuck between the thick metal band that held the strainer to the frame.

I then put it into the dishwasher and then used some compressed air to try and remove most of this gunk, but there are still some stubborn pieces that will not dislodge.

Any ideas on how to clean this thing? i searched the forum and google looking for a picture of my strainer with no luck. It is a rectangular collapsible strainer with a thick metal band on top holding the mesh straining material together.

Thanks for your advice and cheers!

What I've been doing is generally rinsing mine really well then letting it dry. Once it is dry you can somewhat shake out/break up any hop leaves that are left. I generally use leaf as they are easier to strain out.

I still have tiny bits left but I know it is just hops and it will be boiled for 60 minutes later so I don't worry about the little bit left (I to make sure it is dry though, I wouldn't want them rotting).

Edit: My strainer is different than yours but the principals should still apply. Mine is a SS strainer for use over a pot, I cut off the ears and handle with a dremel so it fits easily against the bottom of my keggle (which has a bottom drain not a pickup tube)

Sorry to be a devils advocate, but I wouldn't bother. Gravity will take care of all those particles and they will settle out in primary.

OK seriously, how bout a pressure washer.

I agree, after the stuff dries, its easier to get rid out of the cracks and what not. Just wash it again after that.

Back