Cleaning Kegerator stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsitzejr

Reaction score
I see these kits for cleaning up your lines, taps, etc. Couldn't I just mix some sanitizer and water, pressurize the keg and run it thru, then do the same with clean water?

rsitzejr said:
Couldn't I just mix some sanitizer and water, pressurize the keg and run it thru, then do the same with clean water?

That is exactly what I do. I boil the water first, to make sure its REALLY hot......I run a whole keg through, and I just collect the water in pitchers and dump.

Everybody is here is focusing on "sanitizing" the keg and lines, but the title is "cleaning" Kegerator stuff. All the sanitizer in the world won't clean kegs and beer lines. For that you need something that cleans. OxyClean works, as does PBW and many other products. StarSan, C-Brite, bleach, and Iodophor aren't cleaners.

Cleaning is important. All the good sanitation practice in the world won't help you if the stuff isn't clean before you start.

Think about it: you can't sanitize dirt.

I guess I figure that the only thing that gets in my beer lines is my beer. A simple flush with hot water gets rid of the beer remnants and then its on to sanitizer. I do have to say that prior to the first usage I cleaned everything thoroughly with PBW, but now each subsequent usage just gets a hot water flush and then sanitizer.

They make some stuff called BLC (Beer Line Cleaner). It is specifically made for beer lines and works very well. You mix it up, run it through the lines, shut off the faucet, leaving the solutions inside for about 15 minutes. Then flush with water. I think the selling point is that it rinses very clean with no residue. I think PBW, although an outstanding cleaner, needs quite a bit of rinsing to remove all the residue. Not really made for beer lines.

Prosit!

Back