Cleaning Fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinci-Brewing

Reaction score
Can i use dishwasher detergent soar or hand soap to clean the inside and outside of the fermentor?

Should i stay away from one brand or type of soap?

All of my fermenters get a good soaking in oxyclean free, no scrubbing so no scratches for nasties to set up shop in, no scents to get into the plastic or leave a film that could affect a batch. I suppose you could use dish soap or some other kind of soap but for the couple of dollars that the unscented oxyclean costs, I recommend just using that.

What he ^ said.
Detergent is extremely hard to rinse out and will kill the head on your beer. Oxyclean free is the way to go. It needs to be rinse a couple times but does not leave a head killing film.

oxyclean (sun oxygen cleaner from walmart) gets the crud off well. before next use give it a Starsan bath. no rinse works great.

I've been using seventh generation dish soap and one of those clothes that is meant for cleaning the screens on a flat screen tv's. Works pretty good for me.

It is called sodium percarbonate. It is the active ingredient of PBW, OneStep and Oxyclean. Unfortunately Oxyclean (as in the not free) also puts bluing in with the percarbonate. What you want is the cheap stuff. It all works.

It is in fact one of my favorite cleaners. Do you have a pan that you burned something in? How about you really don't want to do the dishes? If its really badly stuck on the better. Take about 3 drops of dish detergent and a scoop of your favorite sodium percarbonate. The next day wipe it off and your done.

If you use detergent on plastic (a in brewing bucket) it will stick to the surface. Meaning you have to rinse it several times. And even then it can still screw with your brewing chemistry. Worse, if you get something (like Krausen) stuck to the top you may have the impulse to go scrub it off, DONT. It can make micro abrasions for germs to harbor in.

Really, just get some PBW, Onestep or whatever and never worry about it again.

ive heard ivory dishsoap works ok. apparently its got no perfumes or sumtin and dont leave residue and ivorys known for not leavin residue.

Back