Behmor 1600plus Roasting Drum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
Quick question for anybody who might know. How to you all clean the roasting drum in the machine? My hands are too big to get to the fins inside the drum and I am worried that they might start a roaster fire if not cleaned at some point. I am wondering if putting it in the dishwasher is safe? Or maybe just a quick submerge in hot water and simple green? Any help on this would be most appreciated.

Hey @redrocker652002 I don't think it is recommended the drum gets cleaned or washed. I think roasters want their drums to be seasoned. I know I never washed/cleaned it myself and I don't think @HarborTownBrewing did either.

Anyway, I would follow this set of instructions from Behmor to keep the roaster in tip top shape. This is what I did.

Good luck!

Mine must not get used enough, or that I typically do only first crack, or slightly past, roasts.

I've cleaned the inside and took off covers for deep clean and there was some gunk, but there is no appreciable discoloring or residue build-up on the drum.

I have seen much the same. I get a little discoloring on the inside at the bottom near the heat stick thingies (that's the technical term, right? LOL). But other than that it has been pretty clean. I have taken most of my roasts to FC and maybe slightly into SC, but not much smoke has come out that I have seen. I am afraid to go to far into second crack as the one time I did, it smoked like mad. LOL. Still fills the garage with that burnt bean smell, so no doing it inside. Anyway, thanks for the replies, gonna get a couple of half pound roasts today I think.

Back