Cleaning Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim_s

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So, I am the only one I know who cleans their carboy through manual scrubbing with dish soap. I use the wide mouth carboys and I scrub / wash it, soak it in star-san and fill it on brew day. Any harm with this cleaning process?

Hi Everyone,

So, I am the only one I know who cleans their carboy through manual scrubbing with dish soap. I use the wide mouth carboys and I scrub / wash it, soak it in star-san and fill it on brew day. Any harm with this cleaning process?

No.

It is better to use pbw dish soap will harm your head retention. Also oxiclean free will work as a substitute .

If you are talking about one of the plastic wide mouth carboys you don't want to use anything abrasive as it may lead to scratching the inside which creates a space for bacteria to hide. Gentle scrubbing with a soft cloth shouldn't hurt it a bit.

If you are talking about one of the plastic wide mouth carboys you don't want to use anything abrasive as it may lead to scratching the inside which creates a space for bacteria to hide. Gentle scrubbing with a soft cloth shouldn't hurt it a bit.

It is glass.

I just use hot water and get all the crud off then sanitize before use.

I fill mine up with hot water and pbw and let it sit for 30-60 min then hit it with a brush to get any of the crud off that still is stuck to the side of the carboys. Usually comes off quite easily. Then rinse and fill with a starsan mixture so they are ready for the next brewday.

Hi Everyone,

If the dish soap has any fragrance in it you could get some residual off flavors. It's hard to completely rinse out soap.
I'd definitely clean w/ B-Brite/PBW, rinse well & a final rinse w/ Star San.

If the dish soap has any fragrance in it you could get some residual off flavors. It's hard to completely rinse out soap.
I'd definitely clean w/ B-Brite/PBW, rinse well & a final rinse w/ Star San.

I don't recommend using dish soap on any brewing equipment. Hell, I use oxiclean to wash my beer glasses (and any other dishes near by).

I use Arm and Hammer "washing soda" (sodium carbonate) and soak them for a day or two. Most of the crud dissolves, and what's left brushes out very easily. Then rinse with StarSan before then next use.

I need to come up with a procedure for plastic carboys; maybe vigorous shaking instead of brushing will work.

Gotta second the use of oxy/pbw, literally no work cleaning; just let it sit then rinse well.

Just so I can completely understand, can you link to the product? You are using OxyClean? I am just not seeing anything that is food safe lol (mostly laundry detergent)

I'd even wager store name oxy-clean would work, I'm pretty sure the Walmart brand has sodium percarbonate listed as the first ingredient.

Oxi soak, but why muscle around a full carboy?

Before and after a few hours . . .

CarboyCleaner13.jpg

CarboyCleaner14.jpg

I would use pbw over dish soap. However, either one of those are high in pH so after you wash with them you need to thoroughly rinse and then do an acid rinse to rid any alkali in there and then rinse once more with water and then thoroughly sanitize before use. I typically do pbw and then a is rinse with saniclean. At the brewery we use pbw and then a nitric acid for the rinse and that does the trick good. Soaking anything in hot pbw for a period of time will come clean.

Back