Clean Autosiphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgoldb1

Reaction score
What is the best way to clean autosiphon lines? Is it just a matter of running OxyClean through it?

I just run hot water through everything when I'm done. I then store the two autosiphon pieces apart.

I clean the autosiphon with the carboy. I will autosiphon the water/OxyClean from the carboy to clean the siphon and the hose (I thouroughly rinse the carboy before throwing in the Oxyclean) A hot rinse of all parts afterwards and all is done.

I just run hot water through everything when I'm done. I then store the two autosiphon pieces apart.

This is what I do too. Very hot tap water then I run star san through it. I run a gallon of starsan through it (and give it a soak) before I use it again too.

I clean the autosiphon with the carboy. I will autosiphon the water/OxyClean from the carboy to clean the siphon and the hose (I thouroughly rinse the carboy before throwing in the Oxyclean) A hot rinse of all parts afterwards and all is done.

I do this too. Just don't forget is to take the diverter tip off the bottom and make sure you don't have any sediment left in there.

Ok, so I learned something new. Never knew that you could take an autosiphon apart.

If I'm not using it for a sterile application (for instance, I generally have a cider going all the time, and will siphon a gallon or so off every day. Since the cider doesn't last even a week I'm not anal about sterilization.) I'll just fill a beer glass with hot water and pump it through the siphon until it's clean.

If I'm doing sterile, I'll use my bottle washer to push water through the siphon and hose. Then I'll stick it in a gallon jug of star san and pump it back into the jug, sanitizing the inside of the siphon as well as the outside portion of the hose and siphon that touch the beer.

If we're talking about the Fermtech autosiphon here (what I have), Immediately after use, I pull out the center wand, then pull the cap (diverter?) off the bottom, rinse thoroughly with hot water. I store the parts separately, so that they dry better, and the gasket on the end of the want doesn't get compressed. Before the next use, I immerse in Star San. I use a plastic wallpaper tray for this and all my small parts. Works great.

Does anyone else have tiny scratches on the inside of your autosiphon? I just used mine for the first time (Fermtech) and it seems like the rubber plunger has lightly scuffed the inside of the larger tube. Is this going to cause problems sanitizing next time?

Does anyone else have tiny scratches on the inside of your autosiphon? I just used mine for the first time (Fermtech) and it seems like the rubber plunger has lightly scuffed the inside of the larger tube. Is this going to cause problems sanitizing next time?

Mines been used for 60+ batches, scratched up bad, no problems. Nothing star san can't handle.

I rinse with very hot water after use, store the pieces separated, and prior to use, I am most likely racking into a keg, and I usually have that keg sanitizing, I dip the parts into the Star San, reassemble and pump the Star San out of the keg with it. this sanitizes the siphon, the line, and whatever I am pumping it into.

Back