Citrus Lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shtoive87

Reaction score
Are there any lagers that have citrus type hops like cascade or centennial? If not, is there a reason (specific, not just "because it tastes bad")?

I know of no reason it wouldn't be good.

I'd want to mash around 154 to have a decently malty backbone to balance the citrus hop character. Other hops to consider for this are Citra and Amarillo.

I tried 3 times light lagers (in colour and ABV) and I dry hopped citra into the secondary. They tasted really nice! Nice finish.

I've done a SMASH 2row centennial lager before and it's now one of my regular taps. However, there is always the debate surrounding "c" hops in lagers and how sometimes it doesn't work well. I however think it works great.

Small advice: try not to put orange extract before bottle. Worst beer I did until now. Didn't go very well with the basic lager recipe I had!

Widmer's rotater ipa, hopside down, is an India pale lager brewed with cascade. They also have a 9% imperial India pale lager that's basically hopside down, just beefed up and ages on oak spirals.

The hop aroma that you are looking for disappears with time so if you are lagering for a lengthy amount of time you might be disappointed. I find that my ales lose the great aroma in 2 to 3 months but that is at room temperature, they may last longer at lagering temps.

Back