Citrus Juice in a brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhumbline

Reaction score
I've got a nectarine tree in my yard that pumps out tons of fruit. I'd like to incorporate some into an extract recipe. I've done several recipes with citrus peel, but never one using the fruit's juice.

I'll probably do a Belgian Wheat and my question is, how much juice would I add to a 5 gallon batch? Also, what, if any, modifications would I need to make to the recipe or process to offset the addition.

The fruit is very sweet.

Thanks.

I've only used zest, but I think you have a couple options. If you add the juice during fermentation, it's going to ferment out those sugars, and you probably won't get much flavor out of it. If you add the juice post-fermentation, you'll get more flavor out of it. If you add it to the boil, you're going to lose all those aromatics. I'm getting ready to make a chocolate raspberry stout, and I plan to add all the fruit puree to secondary.

You also need to keep in mind there will be wild yeast in the juice. You should think about pasteurizing it to prevent an "infection". Personally I'm about ready to make my first sour beer/lambic, so I'd use the nectarines in that.

I'd say maybe start with a half gallon at most. Rack on top of that and taste it. Add more if you want. I'd probably try to dry the beer out as much as possible since you're adding sugar in the juice. Also keep your IBU's low so they don't cover up the juice.

Also make sure to keep us updated on your results!

If the OP isn't bottle-carbing, they could add campden / K-Meta to the fruit juice to kill any wild yeast. Or, if they are bottle-carbing, they should probably pasteurize as TGMartin suggests

I recently made a blood orange/white peppercorn saison. I used approximately one gallon of juice(pulp and all) that had been frozen and then thawed and added that to the boil with 10 minutes left to go. I was afraid all the citrus flavor would ferment out, but it comes through very prominently. YMMV

I don't mean to be a smart ass, just for info in case it leads to any confusion, the Nectarine is not a Citrus fruit….. Please resume :)

I recently made a blood orange/white peppercorn saison. I used approximately one gallon of juice(pulp and all) that had been frozen and then thawed and added that to the boil with 10 minutes left to go. I was afraid all the citrus flavor would ferment out, but it comes through very prominently. YMMV

Perfect! That's just the info I was looking for.

Thanks

Dog fish head pearcing pils. Adds at flame out. They add pear juice. It's really good.

Back