CIP System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to build another control panel for this system so that I could keep the cleaning solution hot but it really doesn't need to be heated in my application. I've used the system three times now and the conical is clean within 10 or 15 minutes. The pump can be a problem, if you buy this pump from HF, make sure to thoroughly empty it after use. It does rust up if you don't. I'll probably look for a different pump in the future - one with similar flow characteristics but with either a composite or stainless pump head.

Is this pump still working well for you? We're looking at getting the same thing. Sump pump is not generating enough pressure to spin the ball effectively. What are you running through it? Hot water? PBW? Sanitizer? Any issues? Was reading the manual and saw "Use only with clear water. Do not use with flammable liquids such as gasoline, chemicals or and corrosive liquids." I could not find a temp rating for the pump. Thanks for the reply.

Is this pump still working well for you? We're looking at getting the same thing. Sump pump is not generating enough pressure to spin the ball effectively. What are you running through it? Hot water? PBW? Sanitizer? Any issues? Was reading the manual and saw "Use only with clear water. Do not use with flammable liquids such as gasoline, chemicals or and corrosive liquids." I could not find a temp rating for the pump. Thanks for the reply.

Sorry - I havent checked this thread in a long time...

The pump works well but tends to rust while in storage. It has plenty of pressure and flow for a CIP ball BUT as I mentioned, gets rusty inside. I might try a different pump, Harbor Freight has a 12Vdc utility pump that has a stainless head - but it only makes about 15psi. I pump hot PBW through it. I sanitize with a spray bottle.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-marine-utility-water-pump-94639.html

I use this pump from harbor freight it really gets the spray ball spinning. It may be a little over kill but its been working for over a year know. I just waited till they came out with one of there 20% off coupons.

I use this pump from harbor freight it really gets the spray ball spinning. It may be a little over kill but its been working for over a year know. I just waited till they came out with one of there 20% off coupons.

Low max temp and chemical resistance haven't been issues?

Not yet but I don't run it that long only maybe 5 minutes and I don't heat the water past what my hot water heater puts out. I always flush with fresh water and drain it after each use.

Low max temp and chemical resistance haven't been issues?
My pump runs for 3 hours per cleaning cycle with hot PBW, water, acid cleaner (Acid Cleaner 5), replaced the impeller brass screw with SS and the starting capacitor during more than ten years of running.

Anyone tried one of these pumps for CIP? Looks like 800 gal/hr 137 ft of head VS the Harbor Freight Pump 1216 gal/hr 147 ft head.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IP8QZ8E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It appears that Harbor Freight is getting expensive...

Certainly seems like it's got the power, and the fact that the head is stainless sounds promising too. I see that someone asked the question about the temp limit, but nobody answered. I would IMAGINE it shouldn't be an issue with ~150 degree PBW though. German made too, as opposed to the Harbor Freight cheapo Chinese stuff. Think I'll give this one a go when it comes time to build my setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got a lifeguard pg6600. Little pricey, but on sale for 154, a submersible oil free pump, works great for keg cleaner and multi line cleaner. Have not tried on cip yet, but hoping it works.

It came in today - looks like it will be a good pump for CIP and keg cleaning duties.

I'll post more when after I get to use it.

20161126_192110.jpg

All of the links to harbor freight in this thread don't work anymore. What pumps are people using to run CIP spray balls these days?

I just use my March brewing pump. Heat up some water in HLT while wort is boiling in BK, and run PBW and Starsan cycles though CIP ball in on top of conical, as well as through my tubing and plate cooler. A refinement I recently added was an in line strainer to keep any debris form plate cooler from clogging CIP ball.

I just use my March brewing pump. Heat up some water in HLT while wort is boiling in BK, and run PBW and Starsan cycles though CIP ball in on top of conical, as well as through my tubing and plate cooler. A refinement I recently added was an in line strainer to keep any debris form plate cooler from clogging CIP ball.

And the march brewing pump puts out enough power to run the spray ball? Do chugger pumps put out enough power to run the spray balls? I might be getting a chugger xdry pump for xmas so if that'll run it, that'll save me some money down the road.

And the march brewing pump puts out enough power to run the spray ball? Do chugger pumps put out enough power to run the spray balls? I might be getting a chugger xdry pump for xmas so if that'll run it, that'll save me some money down the road.

The regular old march pump spins it, as does the chugger (I have one of each, they are almost identical). If you connect two brew pumps in series, you will have even more pressure, I sometimes do this when blasting out the plate cooler.

The regular old march pump spins it, as does the chugger (I have one of each, they are almost identical). If you connect two brew pumps in series, you will have even more pressure, I sometimes do this when blasting out the plate cooler.

2 March pumps is Bare minimum in my experience to run a rotating spray ball efficiently.

1 will run a static spray ball ok. 2 is amazing.

I use the same setup as MoonBrewer for cleaning corny kegs and my conical. It has plenty of power to spin the spray ball and does a great job at cleaning. I've been using the same pump now for at least three years. I like that my pump is submersible, it sits in the sink or a five gallon pail. That shallow well pump mentioned in the earlier posts looks powerful enough to send a spray ball into outer space.

Digging this one up: I've been using a 1/4 hp utility pump similar to Moon Brewer and others. I recently had to replace it as it had a short circuit of some sort occur (leaking voltage...yes not an electrician). It lasted maybe 3 years. At $50 replacement cost and substantial abuse cleaning kegs and CIP for fermenters, I consider that an acceptable amount of life.

Also a note for anyone reading this, CIP for the fermenters (14g unitanks) only really gets the fermenter body itself. All fittings have to be removed and the fitting, gasket and triclamp flange cleaned separately.

Back