CIP System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why such a huge heavy pump when a $20 DC pump would work just as well? This is just to recirculate a pbw or oxy solution right?

I am intersted in this as well. I am getting set to build a keg cleaner/conical cip system myself. I plan to run acid #5 through it. That looks like it puts out enough pressure to run a spray ball. Hmm.... I like that. I just got a 20% off coupon in the mail yesterday. Guess I'm off to HF!

On a real note. I think I would put this on a small cart with a metal reservoir. Stainless of course. I think I'll put a heating element in the stainless pot with a bulkhead into the pump. That way I can run heat to my solution. Maybe I need two or three reservoirs. One for hot acid, one for hot water rinse and then a cold for saniclean/paracetic acid sanitizing rinse. Easy enough with a triclamp manifold. This just developed into a much more advanced project as I type. But it seems like it could be a great project as the same time.

Well don't get in a hurry to hear from me. It will be a bit until I can finish my build. Here is the spray ball I plan to get for my conical. I have a brewhemoth.

https://www.brewershardware.com/CIP10TC10TC40.html

I do think I'm going to try that pump. It will have a max head of about 5' for my application. I will probaby get a spray ball like what you have linked for cleaning cornies and better bottles until I switch to the conical and sanke kegs. I am in the middle of a long transition. Hoping to be completely switched by the spring. Also I hope to have 2 glycol cooled 1/2 bbl bright tanks up and running by then as well.

I bought the pump today, now to cruise Good Will for a stainless or aluminium stock pot. I'd like to take a surplus PID or STC1000 temp controller (I've got a few laying around) and control the temperature of the cleaning solution, so I think a small five gallon stock pot would work, with a 1500w element plumbed into the side.

I've also considered using my RIMS tube - but I think I'll look for a stock pot first.

BTW - This pump is very substantial... It's a heavy piece.

I'm at harbour freight right now and I'm looking at this 1hp model that is 20ft head lift and 2640 gph but only 8psi. This won't run a spray ball will it? What are my options for a water or sump pump to run a spray ball like the one from brewers hardware I'm seeing?

I'm at harbour freight right now and I'm looking at this 1hp model that is 20ft head lift and 2640 gph but only 8psi. This won't run a spray ball will it? What are my options for a water or sump pump to run a spray ball like the one from brewers hardware I'm seeing?

Look at item number 69297

3/4 hp

43psi

650gpm

If you want to run a spray ball pressure is important. The pump linked to in the OP can be used pretty easily. Just put a bulkhead on a reservoir that goes directly into the pump. That way it won't need to try and prime. If you use a stainless reservoir then you can use a heating element and run heated wash cycles.

I bought the pump today, now to cruise Good Will for a stainless or aluminium stock pot. I'd like to take a surplus PID or STC1000 temp controller (I've got a few laying around) and control the temperature of the cleaning solution, so I think a small five gallon stock pot would work, with a 1500w element plumbed into the side.

I've also considered using my RIMS tube - but I think I'll look for a stock pot first.

BTW - This pump is very substantial... It's a heavy piece.

Might as well put an element in there with a stainless base...

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/element2000.htm

or for a little less power

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/element5500.htm

I think that the 1400watts would be good for cip. I don't think I'll have more than 8 or 10 gallons in the thing at any given time.

When do you plan on having a working setup? I have some other things on my plate right now and I can't dump money into this at the moment.

I'm thinking about building a CIP system for my 17gal plastic fermenter. (Getting tired of making 20 gallons of solution and soaking it..)

Looking at pumps at Harbor Freight, this one looks pretty good

http://www.harborfreight.com/34-horsepower-clear-water-pump-69297-8705.html

Anyone used this before?

It's a cast iron pump and none of the other materials of construction are listed. I wouldn't use it, especially with hot caustic. I use a March AC-5B-MD pump and this spray ball with good results for cleaning half barrel kegs and the heat exchanger loop. This all-in-one stainless element works well for 3 gallons of caustic which is the most I use.

Well don't get in a hurry to hear from me. It will be a bit until I can finish my build. Here is the spray ball I plan to get for my conical. I have a brewhemoth.

https://www.brewershardware.com/CIP10TC10TC40.html

I do think I'm going to try that pump. It will have a max head of about 5' for my application. I will probaby get a spray ball like what you have linked for cleaning cornies and better bottles until I switch to the conical and sanke kegs. I am in the middle of a long transition. Hoping to be completely switched by the spring. Also I hope to have 2 glycol cooled 1/2 bbl bright tanks up and running by then as well.

I tested the below pump with one of the Brewerhardware CIP balls, and it worked VERY well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-horsepower-portable-sprinkling-pump-69304.html

It occurred to me that my HLT can double as a CIP reservoir and heater... As long as I'm not brewing on the same day that I'm cleaning the fermenter, it'll work...

First, you can print out 25% off coupons for Harbor Freight.

Second, is the pump able to handle high temperatures?

Third, are the seals able to handle caustic and acidic (hot) chemicals?

I haven't found any inexpensive pumps that meet those requirements and have suitable pressure and flow for CIP use.

Second, is the pump able to handle hot temperatures?

Dont know - but I'll find out! :ban:

Like I said before, I'll be using Oxyclean/TSP90 - Not Caustic Soda.

Second, is the pump able to handle high temperatures?

I haven't found any inexpensive pumps that meet those requirements and have suitable pressure and flow for CIP use.

I went through 2 other inexpensive pumps before buying one designed for the application. Should have just bought the correct one from the beginning and saved the money and hassle.

Just check the specs for how hot of fluids it can handle. That is what the seals are rated for. If you go above that the seals can leak oil and you do not want that in your brewhemoth. I use a 1 hp submersible pump in my brewhemoth with one of the same spray balls and it works VERY well. Krausen rings don't stand a chance.

Which pump do you use? Do you use heat?

Still waiting for next payday to buy fittings, but I'm using the 3/4hp Harbor Freight pump listed above, I'll plumb it with camlock fittings, recirculate the hot Oxyclean between a spray ball, the fermenter, and my HLT. Use my existing HLT element and temperature control hardware, for now...

I wont have a lot of money spent and should be able to prove the concept or not.

Look at item number 69297

3/4 hp

43psi

650gpm

How would I plumb this unit in to my morebeer conical. In my mind I was going to run a sump pump inside of the bucket of whatever solution I'm working with and keep it below the conical and let the recirc go from there.

How would I plumb this unit in to my morebeer conical. In my mind I was going to run a sump pump inside of the bucket of whatever solution I'm working with and keep it below the conical and let the recirc go from there.

What I'm planning on doing on my conical is to place my HLT on the floor under the conical (My stand is high enough), let the solution drain into the HLT from the dump valve, the inlet of the pump would be plumbed into the drain of my HLT (I'm using cam locks), the HLT will add heat as needed through my existing PID, the 3/4hp pump will pump it back up to the spray ball to start all over again.

If you were going to run this pump, I'd make some sort of weldless fitting up for your bucket, place it down low, and plumb the inlet of the pump to it.

I know a picture is worth a thousand words, here is how I envision it - I still have fittings to buy so nothing is actually hooked together here.

IMG_0502.JPG

I use my keg/carboy cleaner to clean both my kettles and my conical fermenter. The kettles were a little trickier as I need to add a piece of silicone tubing, that I cut down the middle, to the rim of the kettle and then I flip the lid upside down to make a good seal.

The conical is easier as it is already sealed.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyQVUcAOHTc[/ame]

It has been a week or so... so... :)

I had to clean it my old way - I'm remodeling my kitchen right now and my garage was full of old appliances so I had no room to work. I promise as soon as I have a dirty fermenter and room to work in my garage, I'll plumb this bad boy up and take it for a spin.

IMG_0692.JPG

Some headway on this project - I got the pump plumbed up this morning.

I have to brew this weekend, my kitchen project has eaten up so much time that I've been unable to brew and I'm down to my last two kegs! :eek:

I figured that the suction line of the pump will need to be hard plumbed to my HLT pickup tube because the suction from a 3/4 hp pump will probably collapse a flexible line.

I'm also making up a reinforced Tygon flexible line for the line from outlet of the pump to the CIP ball. I should have video of this thing in action within a few weeks.

IMG_1709.JPG

Link to video...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VtxAOlqMI4&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

It will work awesome, I tried to remove the top while the pump was running but was immediately blasted with warm cleaning solution.

Awesome! I haven't gotten around to building my setup. I'm planning on building a CIP/keg cleaner cart. I'm going to put a spray ball on the brewhouse lid too so I can clean those as well.

Back