Cigar City maduro oatmeal brown clone attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did this water profile work out ok for you? What mash ph did you target?

Targeted 5.44 as stated in the post. I hit 5.36 at 30min in the mash, post boil pH 5.22, did not take final beer pH :/
Yes that water profile worked well. Don't know your situation but good advice is to not mess with salts at first but focus on hitting ur pHs.

The one they gave me when I messaged them on Facebook:

63% 2 row
13% Crystal 60L
3% Chocolate
5.5% Brown Malt
7% Victory
8.5% Rolled Oats

I brewed my version, called toe chaser brown, using this grain bill on 10/29 with 1oz EKG at 60 min, 1 oz fuggles at 10 min with s04 yeast. Used the brown full water profile from brunwater, with a mash pH of 5.5 and mash temp of 155f. SG: 1.057, fg: 1.018 (5.4%)

I utilized goldswaen 80l brown malt from the Netherlands and Marris otter. Kegged the beer 11.21 for a target of 2.45-2.5 Vols of co2 (cigar city messaged me with this value for maduro).

So far the beer is excellent. Aroma is slight roasted peanut and chocolate with a slight fruitiness from the yeast (fermented mid 60s). Silky mouth feel with a nice roasted peanut and chocolate finish that slightly lingers smoothy on the palate. Color is borderline black/brown and Ruby in the light. Very close to the real maduro. Need a real one to compare flavor now but nonetheless a very good beer that will get better with a few more weeks in the keg I'm sure!

View attachment 1480877545156.jpg

View attachment 1480877563106.jpg

That looks great! I love that beer, we can get the real Maduro here anytime with no problem where I live. Might have to brew it to see how close this recipe is.

John

I've brewed the recipe that gave me a couple of times. There's something still missing. I know that Wayne from CC likes Simpsons malts. So, I'm gonna rebrew with all the Simpsons stuff I can find.

On reddit a user posted this..don't know if this is you:

What I did since I did an extract recipe was I used 3.15 lbs of Maris Otter extract from Northern Brewer, and 3.15 of Amber Extract, since the grains would give the beer the darker tint.

Its in the bucket bubbling away as we speak, so here's to hoping it turns out great.

Reviving an old thread, but was hoping on info on how the extract version went. If it went well, I'd love a more detailed recipe - I'm very new and this isn't quite enough info for me to make it work....

Thanks.

Back