Cider stuck at 1.006 for a week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frakkin

Reaction score
This is my first time making cider, and it seems to have stalled. The OG was around 1.06 on October 14th, and it's currently around 1.004-1.006. It hasn't moved in a week. Is there anything I can do to help move it along? I need to bottle it by the end of the month so I can bring it for the holidays :) It's also not very clear, even though I used pectinase. I used nottingham yeast, and yeast nutrient. I'm planning to get it down to 1.00 fg then prime and sweeten with a non-fermentable sugar so I can have a sweet carbonated cider.

Thank you for your help.

Is your hydrometer calibrated? Did you degas the sample? Did you adjust for temperature?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My last cider with S04 yeast (similar to nottingham) finished at 1.004, so yours might be done.

Does your haze seem to be a yeast haze, or a pectin haze? That is, if you take a sample and stick it in the fridge for an hour or two, does it clear? If it does, I wouldn't bottle yet as the yeast may be active. But my thought is that the yeast is done, and the haze is due to a pectin haze. If that's the case, and the SG hasn't budged in a week, it can be bottled.

Yeah, I made sure the hydrometer was accurate and temperature was fine. I didn't degas though. I hadn't considered the carbonation. I'll degas a sample and see how that goes.

I did use pectinase, so I will be disappointed if the haze is due to pectin. I'll check a sample in the fridge to make sure.

Thank you guys.

Its likely finished.

Refrigerate it if possible and then rack into another container.

Or rack now into another container and refrigerate.

1.004-1.006 is a great stopping point, will be very drinkable and not too dry, while still having apple flavor.

Bottle carbonation with Nottingham is going to be more challenging, you are closing in on/or at its max abv.

Yooper is probably right. It's probably done, but double check.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What's the max alc. tolerance of Notty? Cuz I've done 1.07, 1.08 & 1.09 S. G. They take a while to carb and not very fizzy. I thought it was the length of time in the secondary and didn't consider the alc. tolerance.

Practically Nottingham max abv is in the 10% range, and may take quite awhile to get there (many weeks).

Bottle carb would be much more reliable with one of the wine yeasts (montrachet or 1118), but it will be completely dry.

What you made should be very good and drinkable for the holidays.

Thank you everyone. I've checked it, everything is good. I wasn't aware that Nottingham went to about 1.008 fg. I just assumed every yeast fermented to 1 or lower lol. It tastes very good already. I bottled it so everything should be good c: It already has a decent amount of carbonation because it's been in my basement which can get cold. I brought it up a week ago because I thought maybe the temperature wad the reason why gravity stopped falling. But it was stable still, so it must be done. I think it should carbonate just fine. I have another cider fermenting which will be a spiced caramel Apple flavor. Very excited because everything seems to be going well c:

How many times did you rack it? I would see a step change in clarity after every racking. I think this is because the yeast cake still causes some amount of convection in the carboy.

All I can say here is, Nottingham is a very well attenuating yeast, I'd say its definitely done fermenting if you hit that low a gravity. You may even pushed it passed the projected attenuation that Danstar claims it will do. For example if Yooper got a cider to 1.004 with S04, and Fermentis datasheet claims 75% attenuation, without knowing her SG, but for example if it were 1.060 and FG was 1.004, that calculates to 93% attenuation. That is pretty darn good I'd say. With beer of course its much different due to crystal malts and such that don't ferment as dry and are meant to leave a residual sweetness.

If you have the ability to cold crash with a bit of gelatin, that would probably clear it up for you. If not, RDWHAHB. :mug:

How many times did you rack it? I would see a step change in clarity after every racking. I think this is because the yeast cake still causes some amount of convection in the carboy.

I racked it only once. Maybe I'll try racking my next batch more? I could also try other methods of clearing haze. I've heard about different things they use in wine and gelatin? I'll experiment.

All I can say here is, Nottingham is a very well attenuating yeast, I'd say its definitely done fermenting if you hit that low a gravity. You may even pushed it passed the projected attenuation that Danstar claims it will do. For example if Yooper got a cider to 1.004 with S04, and Fermentis datasheet claims 75% attenuation, without knowing her SG, but for example if it were 1.060 and FG was 1.004, that calculates to 93% attenuation. That is pretty darn good I'd say. With beer of course its much different due to crystal malts and such that don't ferment as dry and are meant to leave a residual sweetness.

If you have the ability to cold crash with a bit of gelatin, that would probably clear it up for you. If not, RDWHAHB. :mug:

Yeah, maybe for my next batch. I think this is turning out well considering it's my first try. Thank you.

My new cider now smells like egg. Wonderful. I used yeast nutrient and the last batch was fine. ._. I will have to go to the store and buy some more I guess. Or I'll try the copper trick.

I racked it only once. Maybe I'll try racking my next batch more? I could also try other methods of clearing haze. I've heard about different things they use in wine and gelatin? I'll experiment.

My typical batch with Nottingham, nutrient and pectic enzyme will ferment to 1.000 or less in 2 to 3 weeks depending on temperature. Rack to secondary and after another week or two the cider is perfectly clear. I wouldn't rack again unless I was wanting to do a long term aging.

My new cider now smells like egg. Wonderful. I used yeast nutrient and the last batch was fine. ._. I will have to go to the store and buy some more I guess. Or I'll try the copper trick.

Bummer. Maybe it'll go away with time?

My ciders always have a sulphur smell window of a few weeks. Given plenty of time it clears completely...of course I let mine sit in primary for at least a month then rack to glass for another 4 months at least.
Good cider can't be rushed.

I found a bit of yeast nutrient I had left, added it in, and the smell is almost completely gone. I'd heard that leaving it could give it off flavours, no to mention the yeast is unhappy. Airlock activity has increased a bunch, krausen tripled in size, smells like delicious apples and a bit of yeast, instead of fart.

Back