Cider rookie needs reassurance or ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pim

Reaction score
I think I have almost read every thread in the cider forum and search the recipe database, so I just want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction for the cider I want to make.

So, I've been juicing apples from an apple tree in the back yard the last few weeks. I’ve used a Jack LeLanne juicer, leaving the skins on the apples. I’ve frozen the juice (cider) that I’ve gotten and I’m in the process of thawing it in the fridge. I was told that the apples are McIntosh, but they don’t get that red, probably because the squirrels get to them before they have a chance to. Most of the apples, I’ve juiced are green with a little red on them, so kind of sour. And I have not juiced anything with a squirrel bite.

My plan is to add the 5 gallons of cider (thawed) to my carboy and add campden tablets for a couple days. I plan to add about 40oz of honey, and some tannin. Except I’m not sure how much tannin or if it’s even needed since the apples were juiced with the skins on. I have Cider Yeast that I’m going to use ferment until it quits, bottle with priming sugar and enjoy. I just hope that I’m enjoying something drier, like a Crispin.

I have not tested the OG of the apple juice (cider) yet. Any ideas on what I’m going to get? Does this sound like a good plan, or any ideas on how to make this better?

Thanks for helping

I would add the honey, and maybe the tea from three black tea bags. You can add more tannins later to taste if needed.
It sounds interesting, You really need to get an OG reading after mixing in the honey well, and I would have maybe one to two cans of AJ concentrate on hand to add to the secondary to adjust to taste also.

MacIntosh is high in malic acid and pure mac juice needs a bit of "softening" IMHO. I'd suggest you use Lalvin 71B-1122 (narbonne) yeast, it will metabolize a good portion of the excess malic & will take the edge off. As for adding tannin, I'd wait till the ferment is done, it may not need any, but if it does, add it in small increments, like 1/4 teaspoon at a time. The idea here is that it's easier to add tannin than it is to remove it. I'd definately hit the juice with campden too, freezing doesn't kill everything; just wait 12-24 hrs after adding the campden to pitch the yeast. Regards, GF.

MacIntosh is high in malic acid and pure mac juice needs a bit of "softening" IMHO. I'd suggest you use Lalvin 71B-1122 (narbonne) yeast, it will metabolize a good portion of the excess malic & will take the edge off. . . . I'd definately hit the juice with campden too, freezing doesn't kill everything; just wait 12-24 hrs after adding the campden to pitch the yeast. Regards, GF.

Thanks GF. For my next batch I will try out the Lalvin 71B-1122 (narbonne) yeast, but for this one I have the Cider yeast and will have to use that, since I don't see myself getting to the store soon enough to get it.

Another question that you raise is, since malic acid very present in my apples, in order to produce a malolactic fermentation I would need some of the naturally occuring bacteria in the apples. Wouldn't the campden tablets eliminate those bacteria? Short buying cultures, how would I get this to occur while using the campden tablets, or am I in the realm of it's one or the other, not both?

Thank you too Kahuna, I will have some concentrate on hand just incase.

If you plan on allowing the wild yeast to do it's thing, then you should not use the campden cuz it'l kill off that wild yeast. Regards, GF.

I just wanted to note that malolactic fermentation isn't usually caused or done with the wild yeast on the apples. Its done with the yeast GF mentioned

I use Lalvin 71B-1122 because its what my LHBS stocks up on, and then if my cider finishes too dry, ill add Malic acid to taste to bring my desired tartness back.

Thanks for all of your help.

So here is what I did. Apples, plus 32oz of honey went into the fermentor, gave me an OG of 1.065. I did not add the campden tablets nor did I add any tannins. Pitch my cider yeast and let it ferment a week. I just transfered it to the second fermentor, second reading came out at 1.011. Taste was a good cider taste, but man, was it sour. All the previously mentioned malic acid.

Question(s). Since I didn't add the campden tablets, it should complete a malolactic fermentation on its own, right? How long does that take normally, and could I speed up the process with Bacchus Malolactic Bacteria?

It probably won't go through malolactic fermentation on its own. The bacteria might have been on the apples, but at the same time, it might not have. I would add the bacteria.

At the same time, its been really short. You might let it ride for another month or two to see if the acidity goes down any.

Back