Cider going good so far I think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrshaund

Reaction score
So its been 2 2 and a half weeks, so I transferred from Bucket to carboy took a Gravity reading and it was at 1.020 does that seem rite OG was around 1.080. Also is it ok to drink a glass lol. Hoping to have this to be atleast somewhat drinkable by Christmas.

After the holidays I plan to do another not so rushed.

IMG_20131117_093654_183.jpg

Depending on your yeast, I think that Gravity Reading sounds about right. With such a high OG, it will be pushing it for Christmas, but I think you should be able to get away with opening a couple of bottles. It might taste a little "hot", but it's your creation and that usually helps to smooth out some of the rough edges. ;) You could always add a splash of juice in your glass to help it out.

You can drink it at any time you want, there's no rule for when you can sneak a glass or two. Just be careful with sanitation when taking samples. The more you mess with it the higher your chances for getting an infection.

Yeah I might just trash the Christmas Idea I hate rushing things as for the sample I just put some in a jar when I was transferring wont be taking anything from carboy

Did you put a bunch of sugar in it too? Most cider by itself will start out around 1.050 or 1.060. The current gravity is on the sweet side, but I'm sure it's technically drinkable. I would still wait a bit myself

So its been 2 2 and a half weeks, so I transferred from Bucket to carboy took a Gravity reading and it was at 1.020 does that seem rite OG was around 1.080. Also is it ok to drink a glass lol. Hoping to have this to be atleast somewhat drinkable by Christmas.

After the holidays I plan to do another not so rushed.

Wow!! How did you get it to finish with such a high FG?!? Everything I make finishes below 1 FG. Usually around .9. Could you post your recipe? I'm sure with a little bit of age this would be a little sweeter. Something the swmbo would LOVE! I would probably back sweeten just a smidge and that might take away a little bit of that edge from the high OG. I have been trying to make a sweet cider for her, but every time it comes out VERY dry...well dry for her anyways.

I used 5.5 Gallons Of 100% Motts Apple Juice, 2 lbs Michigan Raw Honey, 1lbs Brown Sugar and 2lbs white sugar

I used 5.5 Gallons Of 100% Motts Apple Juice, 2 lbs Michigan Raw Honey, 1lbs Brown Sugar and 2lbs white sugar

Sounds pretty simple. What yeast did you use?

Edit: With the addition of honey wouldn't this technically be a Cyser? I think I might skip on the honey to bring the OG down a smidge.

Back