chugger pump seizing up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickyfinger

Reaction score
OK, I bought a chugger SS, center inlet pump, actually two of them, for my HERMS system. I have been using them for maybe 9-10 months now. Recently, I started doing higher temperature mash-ins and higher temp mashes. I recently also had the experience of my HLT pump seizing up!! I called Chugger, and they said to drill out the impeller. I drilled both pump impellers out to 17/64", and now both of them seize up periodically and they are LOUD, the HLT one is the worst. Are my magnets in my impeller bad? This is very frustrating. They worked so well for so long and now I am scared they will seize up all of the time. Should I buy March pumps and try to resell the Chuggers or try new impellers in the Chuggers? Please, let me know if you've had this problem!

Are you running them wide open at those high temps? I've read that could be an issue.

i used to run wide open, but recently i've tried throttling back some on the HLT, and it can help. it still seizes up randomly. it's just really annoying! it used to work fine!

Is it possible that the little Teflon washer behind the impeller has worn out? I recently took apart, cleaned and put my manifold back together and when I took my pumps apart for cleaning, one of the Teflon washers was completely gone (as in worn into oblivion) and the other was barely hanging on. I replaced the washers with new ones (I think I got them from Williams or Adventures in Homebrewing) and you wouldn't believe the difference.

Is it possible that the little Teflon washer behind the impeller has worn out? I recently took apart, cleaned and put my manifold back together and when I took my pumps apart for cleaning, one of the Teflon washers was completely gone (as in worn into oblivion) and the other was barely hanging on. I replaced the washers with new ones (I think I got them from Williams or Adventures in Homebrewing) and you wouldn't believe the difference.

i think i'll try the washers for sure. mine are still there, but the big washers are definitely bent.

I moved the drive magnet out toward the impeller on my HLT pump in exasperation this weekend. It was actually able to pump at high temps. I had to restart it a few times and finally threw the valve full open. It ran at full open with no problems for over 60 minutes!? weird!

I then had to slow it down to sparge, and it was a problem. I kept restarting it and it finally kept running, though it would screech and threaten to stop but keep going after a few tries. it then ran for a good 45-55 minute sparge without stopping.

Maybe i should move the magnet out some more, just enough to not have it rub on the SS rear housing? I also think I need a new impeller in the HLT pump. It makes a lot of noise when running, rattling around on the rod it spins on. The MLT pump doesn't make nearly as much noise even though I drilled it out the same as the HLT pump.

I just watched Bobby's video again and realized that I didn't pay attention to the play in the motor connecting bracket. I need to play with that to see if I can get the impeller perfectly centered inside of the drive magnet I guess.

I've now adjusted two things, and it seems to have fixed my impeller problems:

1) I loosened the drive magnet set screw, and slid it out so that it is almost flush with the motor connecting bracket, just a little bit of room to keep the rear housing from rubbing on the magnet.

2) I played with the motor connecting bracket to try to position it so that the gap between it and the drive magnet is exactly the same all around (use my sight as the gauge.)

Item 1 made some difference, but item 2 seems to have completely removed the problem of the impeller losing magnetic contact with the magnet. The HLT impeller still rattles around on the shaft louder than I would like, but at least it works fine now at all flow rates with no seizing (so far....)

A huge thank you to Bobby_M and his excellent video:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdwfzxblL_U&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

One last update: I did a beer this weekend, and it only seized up once, when I was sparging at low flow rate. It then kept going. The complete rest of the brew it worked. It tried to seize up a few times but didn't. I suppose that's good enough for now. I wonder if I adjusted the bracket so that the magnet pulled down on the impeller on the shaft more if it would work even better due to gravity?

To close this off, I wound up buying replacement impellers, and the problem is fixed. I've been using them for over a year now, and the pump is catching a touch just now. Seems the impellers get bad over time or something.

I haven't used the rig in quite awhile but had this problem then, in the middle of the brew, and had to manually sparge.

After seeing this thread - doesn't that beg the question, why should people have to be doing all these alterations and fixes? Is the pump just fundamentally poorly designed? I might be missing it but it seems to me when you buy a pump like this, you should be able to use it without the PITA to get it to run right.

My interpretation is it's a lack of maintenance that eventually culminates into problems. I was running very hot water through my pump head to clean and periodically with boiling water but was never disassembling to clean the pump head.

Like any piece of brewery equipment it needs to be properly cleaned and maintained if you expect it to run right. That's my take on it anyway.

Sorry, yep, I was spacing. I was thinking issues just getting going but of course, there's no reason to expect the thing to work trouble- and maintenance-free. My bad, sorry.

A couple of phenomenons that are common to Chugger and March pumps: sugar plating inside the impeller pivot hole, and wear-out of the thrust washers. The former can require running a drill bit through to get the ID back to spec, the latter just needs replacing.
Otherwise, about the only thing that's going to stop either pump are pump head vs motor alignment issues...

Cheers!

I recently had set of issues with my Chugger, all of which came down to the impeller having a little bit of dried wort on, such a minimal amount that I missed it on my routine cleaning. I have not had any issues since. YMMV.

Back