Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Over the years we have had a lot of people with older model Chugger pumps ask why it suddenly started making noise. We put together a video showing the best way we know how to temporarily repair the pump and get your sanity back! In our experience each fix should last between 8 - 12 brews.

Hope this helps some of you with the same issue.

https://www.exchilerator.com/chugger-pump-noise-fix/

teflon-chugger-pump-600x407.jpg

What's causing the noise? Loose propeller? From the picture appears so. Why is the inside of the propeller or shaft wearing? Poor material? Loose to begin? Or, some other problem? I'm interested to learn.

BTW, should as if this is a classic Chugger pump. What are the specs (OD, ID and thickness) of the big o ring?

Thanks.

What's causing the noise? Loose propeller? From the picture appears so. Why is the inside of the propeller or shaft wearing? Poor material? Loose to begin? Or, some other problem? I'm interested to learn.

BTW, should as if this is a classic Chugger pump. What are the specs (OD, ID and thickness) of the big o ring?

Thanks.
I believe it is manufactured that loose. Because it is turned with a magnetic drive and the absence of bearing surface between the impeller and the shaft they needed plenty of room so the impeller can rotate freely on the liquids that found there way into this space.I found they gave it to much space and the Teflon tape is acting as the needed bearing and filler material to stop the rattling noise the loose fit creates . If you go on Exchilerator.com I give a pretty detailed explanation in the blog page( Screeching noise post)
If you go to the Chugger web site you can probably find the answer to your O-ring question I do not have that info.
Hope This Helps

I found this solution about 3 years ago, I don't remember exactly where...
I re-install the Teflon tape every 2-3 brew sessions, works like a champ.

I found this solution about 3 years ago, I don't remember exactly where...
I re-install the Teflon tape every 2-3 brew sessions, works like a champ.
Are you using 1/2 or 3/4 Teflon tape? Plus gives you a reason to open up the pump and take care maintenance and cleaning

Back