Choosing a beer style for brewing a ''maple syrup'' beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garage12brewing

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have been reading the forum for a while and it helped me a lot !

What beer style most people choose to brew a maple syrup beer... I was thinking about a smoked beer and add some maple syrup to taste in the secondary.

I think that the smoked flaor would remind me the fire at the maple shack...

I do have a small production of maple syrup at home so I would use my own maple syrup and smoke the grain using maple wood.

Any advice would be great to start my recipe. I would like to be on the low side of the smoked taste range for my first smoked beer.

Thanks

Last edited:
Toppling Goliath makes the highest regarded maple beers in the world. I’d go with some Imperial Stout anywhere from 9.5-12%.

You’re gonna need to reduce the syrup down to an incredibly thick consistency if you want any of the flavor to stick around. Instead of smoking the malt you should reduce the syrup over the same open flame. It will give the beer a bit of smokiness. TG does this when making Morning Delight. The great thing about adding the maple to a beer on the higher end ABV wise is the yeast will be not able to ferment all the sugar so you will get more maple impact on the final beer.

Toppling Goliath makes the highest regarded maple beers in the world. I’d go with some Imperial Stout anywhere from 9.5-12%.

You’re gonna need to reduce the syrup down to an incredibly thick consistency if you want any of the flavor to stick around. Instead of smoking the malt you should reduce the syrup over the same open flame. It will give the beer a bit of smokiness. TG does this when making Morning Delight. The great thing about adding the maple to a beer on the higher end ABV wise is the yeast will be not able to ferment all the sugar so you will get more maple impact on the final beer.

That makes a lot of sense to me ! My syrup is already very dark but I could make it even darker and thicker but I wont be able to do this over my actual boiler that is too big for this small operation. I guess I could use a some maple smoked malt to ge tthe smoke flavor then.

I am also looking into doing a smoked Rauchbier that would have the same color than the maple syrup.... but I really like your idea of this big beer because the yeast would not ferment all the maple syrup so keeping the taste...

Back