Chocolate Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew an all grain Chocolate Milk Stout with toasted cocoa nibs (tincture) and lactose. I made one last year and I'll say it was very good but fell short of being a gold medal winner.

If anyone can share a recipe that may be in the "Gold Medal" category, I'm going to my LHBS next week to buy ingredients. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

The LH milk stout recipe is pretty good, but it really is the benchmark nowadays to beat. Here is my recipe

Recipe: Boricha
Brewer: Queequeg
Style: Sweet Stout
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 29.58 l
Post Boil Volume: 24.58 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 64.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 26.0 IBUs
Est Mash Efficiency: 70.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.00 kg Maris Otter (Crisp) (7.9 EBC) Grain 1 47.6 %
1.00 kg Barley, Flaked (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 EBC Grain 2 15.9 %
1.00 kg Munich Malt (Bairds) (9.8 EBC) Grain 3 15.9 %
0.50 kg Chocolate Rye (Weyermann) (482.6 EBC) Grain 4 7.9 %
0.45 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (Muntons) (11 Grain 5 7.1 %
0.22 kg Roasted Barley (Briess) (591.0 EBC) Grain 6 3.5 %
0.13 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 7 2.1 %
14.00 g Warrior [16.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 26.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #1469) Yeast 9 -
Edit: It also has a lb of lactose and the recipe uses Boricha Barley tea instead of chocolate rye. But chocolate rye is a good sub if you can't get it.

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.30 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 19.03 l of water at 74.8 C 68.9 C 45 min

Thanks for the recipes^^

I plan to use one of the dry yeasts I have on hand, and the appropriate choices I can make will be to use US-05 or S-04. Since I'll have non-fermentable sugars in the recipe, I don't feel the FG will get me into problems with either of these yeasts attenuating too low.

Is there any decided advantage of using one of the yeasts compared to the other?

A lot of the new renditions of this style have pretty high FGs, due partly to the lactose but also by maximizing dextrins with mash temp. Single Shot from Treehouse has a FG 1.036 for example. If you want something really smooth and creamy and chocolatey the high FG can have a big impact. Obviously you need to plan your grain bill accordingly..

Of those two yeasts I’d use 05 personally. If you use 04 I’d keep it below 64, it can produce a weird twang that wouldn’t go with this beer at all. Personally I’d say a slightly less attenuative strain might be a better option. London ESB maybe from Danstar if you want to stay with Dry.

Latest posts

Back