chocolate for a java stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamin2961

Reaction score
Im brewing a java stout (extract 5 gallons) and wanted to add some chocolate flavor along with more fermentable sugars to pump up the gravity. its only going to reach about 5%. id love to get it 6%+. I was thinking dark chocolate. anyone have suggestions for how much chocolate / what form of chocolate and when I should add it?

You should avoid using any type of cocoa/chocolate that has head-killing oils and/or fats added (which means any kind of bar-formed chocolate).

You could use powdered cocoa at the end of the boil, or cacao nibs after primary fermentation has completed, and/or add some pure chocolate extract just before kegging/bottling.

For a five gallon batch of my triple chocolate stout, I add 8 ounces of the lowest fat cocoa powder I can find at the end of the boil. When I rack to a secondary fermenter, I dump in eight ounces of cacao nibs that I've soaked in just enough cheap unflavored vodka to cover for a couple of days to enhance the extract (and it definitely works - I used to just dump the nibs straight in the secondary but the vodka really amps up the cocoa flavor). Finally, when kegging I'll pour in an ounce or so of pure chocolate extract.

What I end up with never lasts long enough. It's the perfect "Before Bedtime Brew" ;)

Cheers!

Back