Chocolate Covered Beavr Nutz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caioz1jp

Reaction score
11.75lb Domestic 2 Row
1lb Rolled Oats
1.6lb Chocolate Malt
80z Carapils
8oz Caramel 120L
8oz Roasted Barley

1oz Chinook
1.25oz Spalt
1/4 cup cocoa powder
4oz cocoa nibs
13oz PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter

Mash at 155F for 60 minutes
Boil for 60 minutes
1oz Chinook @ 60 min
.75oz Spalt @ 60min
.5oz Spalt @ 20 min

1. Pitch yeast and ferment for a week. Longer if needed.
2. After fermentation add 13 oz of Powder Peanut Butter and 1/4 cup of cocoa powder. For this i used PB2 powder peanut butter from bell plantation and Hershey natural unsweetened cocoa powder.
3. Siphon the beer directly onto the peanut butter and cocoa.
4. Allow to sit for 3-4 days.
5. Add 4oz of cocoa nibs to the secondary and let sit for an addition 6-7 days. 10 days total from initial transfer.
6. After ten days proceed to bottle with appropriate carbonation methods. Optimal ready time for this brew is 4 months from brew date.

This is my first attempt of this. I was a little low on my OG because I over shot my batch sparge volume and lost about a gallon. When i siphoned the beer onto the PB2 and cocoa i made no attempt to mix it together. If some one wants to try giving it a good mix and letting it all settle i would love to hear the results.

I am fermenting the same brew now. I had a Very active primary fermentation and Just added the same peanut butter powder. I probably took it out of primary a little early but I'm cool with the results regardless.

Anyway I gave a gentle mix of the p2b after I siphoned the beer in. I had some activity in the airlock for two days and now it's pretty dormant.

I took had an issue at the infusion but I still bet it will come out good. Like my dad taught me "there's No such thing as a bad home brew Just a lesson to be learned So it comes out better every time"

Just added my cacaco nibs. So in doing So I took a sample. Roasted malt coffee flavor were both strong. Peanut butter was really hidden. It had a somewhat peanut after taste.

Hoping it will be better after some carbonation and the cacaco. I did not add the coco powder like you did.

This is for a 5gallon batch.

For thoses saying the peanut flavor is hidden, this brew needs a good 4 months before drinking. You really need to let the flavors meld together. The soonest i will drink this brew is christmas time. I brewed mine octiber 5th.

caioz1jp said:
This is for a 5gallon batch.

Mine was also 5gallon I had to boil down I was at 7gallons starting.

I agree that letting it set will help the flavour. I'm going to let mine sit in secondary for 14 days instead of 10. Then drop in my keg and Carb it for three weeks.

I have been letting it sit in my keg for one week now. I'm probably going to continue aging it until mid December if I can keep my hands off of it that long.

When I took it out of secondary to keg it I could smell the coco more than peanut butter.

The peanut butter is going to be the last thing you taste. Once the cocao and roastyness settles it should be more pronounced. Im againg mine in a carboy to help settle the cocao.

To anyone that has brewed this successfully, did you soak the nibs or any of the other additions in anything to prevent bacterial infection? This is the first beer I've had to add anything post-boil.

Hi emprbasist, this is a great brew and I am sure you will love it. To answer your question, no. I did not do anything other than open the package and toss it in there. Now you might want to inspect the package before adding to make sure there was no opening that might cause infection or contamination but you should be fine as long as they remained sealed.

Hi emprbasist, this is a great brew and I am sure you will love it. To answer your question, no. I did not do anything other than open the package and toss it in there. Now you might want to inspect the package before adding to make sure there was no opening that might cause infection or contamination but you should be fine as long as they remained sealed.
Thanks for the reply. One additional question... I just noticed I ended up adding way too much cocoa powder. When I was reading the recipe I must have gotten the cocoa powder and the cacao nibs mixed up, because I added 4 oz of cocoa powder.:drunk: So instead of 1/4 cup, 4 oz was probably closer to 2 cups (half of the container). So this is going to be realllly chocolatey. Do you think I should just leave out the cacao nibs? I was really hoping the peanut butter flavor would come through.

hm. hard to say but if it were me: I would just add the suggested amount of cocoa nibs and make a note of each addition (powder and nibs) in my brew log and see how it goes.

Worse case scenario you get more of the chocolate like flavors. I was expecting the cocoa to be a bit more pronounced but they acted like an aroma more than anything. I would suggest that at worse (in addition to the above) your chocolate might overpower the peanut butter. none the less you will end up with a great beer!

I'm new to the brew thing but interested in trying this one out. Could someone convert this recipe to 1or 1.5 gallon batch size for me. I've seen there's software but haven't tried it out yet. Or is it as easy as just doing 20% of everything? Thanks

I'm new to the brew thing but interested in trying this one out. Could someone convert this recipe to 1or 1.5 gallon batch size for me. I've seen there's software but haven't tried it out yet. Or is it as easy as just doing 20% of everything? Thanks

I can scale it for you this after noon with actual numbers but the easiest thing would be divide ever weight by 5 (or5.5, cant remember how i posted the recipe.) And that will be a pretty goood estimate

I can scale it for you this after noon with actual numbers but the easiest thing would be divide ever weight by 5 (or5.5, cant remember how i posted the recipe.) And that will be a pretty goood estimate

Ok sounds good no rush. Ill check your actuals to estimate see what gets tweaked. Are there any special rules when tweaking sizes anyone know of?

For 1 gallon All grain
2.35# 2row
3.2oz flaked oats
5.2oz chocolate malt
1.6oz carapils
1.6oz caramel120L
1.6oz roasted barley
2.6oz of pb2
1oz cocoa nibs
5.7grams of chinook@60
4.3 grams of spalt @60
2.8grams od spalt @10
I have never done such a small amount so i would recomend BIAB method since you could easily out 1.5 gallons on a stove and just steap the grains for an hour at 155. I would drop the cocoa powder and just use a full oz of nibs. Im not gonna lie your better off doing at leats 2 gallons and probably going extract. With such a tiny amount of water i think the efficiency will be too low.

My Brew partner and I brewed up the all-grain version of this last weekend. Hit 1.069 on OG for 6 gallons in the fermenter, 74% efficiency. Stoked about that.

It's chilling at 64F on s-04 yeast that's been churning like a mad-monkey since monday morning. I'm thinking about splitting it into two 3 gallon batches after a 2-3 week primary and keeping one plain and one with the peanut butter and cacao nibs.

My Brew partner and I brewed up the all-grain version of this last weekend. Hit 1.069 on OG for 6 gallons in the fermenter, 74% efficiency. Stoked about that.

It's chilling at 64F on s-04 yeast that's been churning like a mad-monkey since monday morning. I'm thinking about splitting it into two 3 gallon batches after a 2-3 week primary and keeping one plain and one with the peanut butter and cacao nibs.

I hit 1.071 I really like the flavor that cocoa brings and the pb just finishes so nice. I am aging some in a bottle. This has become my new favorite homebrew. I'm going to make it again in a few months after my lemon head IPA or my blackberry white ale. You won't be disappointed with this tastey treat.

You won't be disappointed with this tastey treat.

No kidding! I got back from our christmas caravan to see the fam and it was time to cold crash the stout, so of course I did a gravity/sample first. Man, this stuff tastes really great already! I just finished cold crashing (to drop the chocolate and peanut solids since the s-04 dropped itself a LONG time ago!) and we're bottling in a couple of days. Can't wait to see what this thing turns into with a few months of hair on its chest. I think my wife is gonna like this a little too much, it's got her two favorite things, stouts and chocolate.

Ok so i am brewing this one again this weekend. First of all this brew has been a smash hit. People still say there is no way I brewed it. Any way this time i am changing two things. First i am adding about 1.7oz of pb2 at flame out. Second, when going to secondary i want to make sure the pb and cocoa are mixed very well to really disperse the ingredients. I obviously will be carfull not to airate the beer. Im thinking about a gallon should get it all i to solution.

I believe it fits under american stout. I have thought about using the chocolate pb2 and may do it this weekend when i brew it.

Ya, +1 for Caioz1jp, when I plugged it into Beersmith it's closest match is American Stout.

I mixed my PB2 and cocoa powder in vodka to kill off any yeast or bacteria first and then added it to the mix. I think I won't do it that way again. It would have taken WAY too much vodka as that PB2 turns to a thick unwieldy paste and I still had to stir it in by hand.

Next time I think that I'll dissolve it in water, boil it, let it cool and then add it. If anyone has found a successful way to mix it in smoothly, I'd love to hear it!

I just added it directly in powder form. It's still aging but so far it has turned out great.

Btw, I used one jar of regular pb2 and one chocolate pb2. But I added wayyy too much cocoa powder on accident, still tastes great. Not even over chocolaty

finally brewed my 1 gal batch today. process was great ended up 17.8 -17.9 brix so about 1.073-1.074 OG bubbling few mins after airlock put on.

Bottled this morning, 5.55 gallons --> 55 bottles. Tasted great, chocolate malt nose, bitter sweet malty chocolate stout flavor with the tiniest peanut-butter after glow.

Added back 3g of rehydrated dry yeast (after being in secondary for over a month with a higher ABV, I chose to not risk having too little yeast for priming) to 4.3oz corn sugar. Finished at 7.8% ABV after accounting for the vodka I added to the PB2 and Cocoa powder.

Can't wait to taste it carb'd up and conditioned a bit more.

So this brew sits on the powdered pb and coco powder for only 10 days?

Has anybody kept it on those ingredients longer?

I kept it on the cocoa and pb for at least 2 weeks. I gently stirred it when I first racked it on top of the ingredients in the secondary. No problems keeping it on them longer that I know of.

Kept mine on the PB2 and cacao nibs/cocoa powder for about a month. We just bottled it monday, so I tasted it uncarbed, but it was super smooth.

I've only brewed 2 beers so far, and wanted to try a Stout for my next one, and this sounds amazing! I have a couple questions though, if you guys dont mind helping a total noob out! I have not done All Grain brewing, and don't think i'm quite ready to try it yet. So, what would you recommend i use for either a DME or LME? Would the DME or LME only replace the Domestic 2 Row, and i'd still be mashing the oats, chocolate, carapils, caramel, and barley? I'm a total novice when it comes to brewing right now, but i've tried reading lots of threads and the "how to brew" website, yet I still don't quite understand some of the processes! Thanks for any info.

jswansonjr said:
I've only brewed 2 beers so far, and wanted to try a Stout for my next one, and this sounds amazing! I have a couple questions though, if you guys dont mind helping a total noob out! I have not done All Grain brewing, and don't think i'm quite ready to try it yet. So, what would you recommend i use for either a DME or LME? Would the DME or LME only replace the Domestic 2 Row, and i'd still be mashing the oats, chocolate, carapils, caramel, and barley? I'm a total novice when it comes to brewing right now, but i've tried reading lots of threads and the "how to brew" website, yet I still don't quite understand some of the processes! Thanks for any info.
Midwestsupplies.com sells an extract version of this kit. If you find it on their website you can see the ingredients on the side of the box, and maybe in the pdf instructions attached.

Midwestsupplies.com sells an extract version of this kit. If you find it on their website you can see the ingredients on the side of the box, and maybe in the pdf instructions attached.

Awesome, i will check that out, thanks!

Wow. Just wow. This turned out so thick and delicious. My wife is over the moon on this recipe (and so am I!).

Super chocolate and pb nose, very malty chocolate taste and pb aftertaste. Nice frothy light brown head. This is a keeper!

image-3033929310.jpg

Very nice! Mine has been setting for a few months turned out great. I ended with a lot of oil so the head is mild but still tastes amazing!

Back