The Double Dingleberry (Double Chocolate Milk Stout)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacktardBrewmeister

The Mad Zymurgist
Reaction score
Brewing this monstrosity, with the thought of putting it on Nitro. I got 7 lbs of free cocoa nibs so I vacuum packed em and am thinking of recipe ideas for em. This is a one of them based of my oatmeal stout recipe, which really, I may not need the oatmeal now that I think about it... could put in more Maris Otter instead. To be honest I have only worked with cocoa nibs one other time and mostly worked with imported chocolate and powders (the powders can die in a fire)... so this may be good, this may be ****. But I'll drink it. b^^

Batch Size: 5 gallons
Est. OG: 1.069
Est. FG: 1.024
ABV: 8.25%
Est. IBU: 24.89
Mash: 90 Minutes
Boil: 60 Minutes

11 lb Maris Otter
2 lb Flaked Oats
1 lb C-40 or C-120 (have not decided)
1.5 lb Chocolate Malt
0.5 lb Rice Hulls
16 oz Cocoa Nibs (8oz after 75 minutes of Mash, 8oz at 15 minutes left in boil)
2 oz East Kent Goldings (1oz at 60 minutes and 1oz at 15 minutes left in boil)
1lb Coconut Sugar (for nutrients and a bit more ABV at 15 minutes left in boil)
2 Tbsps Homemade Vanilla Extract (at 15 minutes left in boil)
8 oz Lactoste (at 15 minutes left in boil)
1 or half whirfloc tablet
1 pkg Safale S-04

Bring water in kettle to 165, add grain, then set to 152-154. After 75 minutes of mashing add 8oz of cocoa nibs. Drain grain then cold sparge, then bring kettle to boil. Toss in 1oz EKG at 60 minutes left, then add Coconut Sugar, 8oz Cocoa nibs, Whirlfloc, Lactoste, 1oz EKG, and Vanilla Extract at 15. Cool and add to carboy. Pitch yeast and store.

ADD: Just realized I put this in the wrong area of the forum like a fool!

Last edited:
Use 8oz of c40 and 8oz of c120, gives it a bit of complexity. Also add 2 oz of vanilla extract instead of 2 tbsp. Im working on mine still and will be adding a lot more chocolate extract to the recipe.

If you’re going for some marketing novelty of 16 oz of cocoa to which you’ll give a fancy name and a fluffy back story to, then I’d say proceed. But I wouldn’t waste a pound of cocoa in the mash and boil. You’re going to lose so much of the flavor and aroma. Make a tincture or “dry hop” with it. Unless you just hate having extra on hand and wish you had less. Same with the vanilla. I wouldn’t waste it during the boil.

Agreed - especially for vanilla, but even chocolate character is ephemeral, and will easily be blown away in the boil.
fwiw, for my 10 gallons of ~1.107 imperial stout I use 16 ounces of low fat cocoa powder at flame out, and a pound of marinaded nibs and vanilla beans post-fermentation...

Cheers!

If you’re going for some marketing novelty of 16 oz of cocoa to which you’ll give a fancy name and a fluffy back story to, then I’d say proceed. But I wouldn’t waste a pound of cocoa in the mash and boil. You’re going to lose so much of the flavor and aroma. Make a tincture or “dry hop” with it. Unless you just hate having extra on hand and wish you had less. Same with the vanilla. I wouldn’t waste it during the boil.

Really, with the cocoa nibs, I just want to get them down to a more manageable setting as I weighed my package of them (that I got for free from a going out of business brewery) and it weighed in at 7lbs 5oz ish. I have 46 ounces of homemade vanilla extract so I just figure add it in the boil for shits and giggles to see what it does and then do more in the secondary with both cocoa nibs. So this is experimental to me with mash and boil dicking around, but I figured it would be neat to see how it turns out and if and what I need to do for secondary.

A light roast of the nibs will help bring out the flavor. adding a touch of vanilla will aid that. What these guys above said, adding to boil will only ruin any flavor you want. add after fermentation and soak for at least a week then taste from there.

Ok, the beer has been brewed. Only negative so far is the og is 1.059 and that is because I didn't have any coconut sugar on me, I forgot to order it and decided to just go on without it. So no worries, I didn't add the chocolate or yeast in the boil. The question now becomes how much nibs to use... I planned on 1lb but I think that might be too much. ><;

Back