PB2 Powder in Choc Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
Wife is pea"nuts" over Reese Cups, so I am investigating ways to make a Sweet Stout with a peanut nuance. I'd typically be worried about head retention with oils from nuts, so I'm looking for ways to introduce the flavor and keep head retention.

I make my sweet stout with a toasted cocoa nib tincture and lactose along with my typical low IBU, 1.060 SG recipe utilizing several dark malts. The Chocolate Milk Stout is her winter favorite, so I'll brew it now to let it age for 4 or 5 months.

I see a couple of options with one being peanut butter "extract" of which I am very skeptical due to the potential of artificial tastes. PB2 powder is very tasty but have no idea how much to use or how to treat it in the boil.

I use conical tanks with dump valves, so I suppose the PB2 will settle out and be removed with a trub and yeast dump. But should I be aware of clumps of peanut powder in the beer? Is there any flavor left when it comes out of suspension?

If anyone has actually made what I'm planning here, please holler so I can make good choices that work in the end. I'm sure pitfalls exist, and with your help, I may be able to avoid them.

Thanks!

I did some playing with the PB2 about a year ago or so. This is what I came up with that worked "SORT OF" we did 1 beer a Chocolate porter (basic A/G recipe) I decided to NOT add any of it to the boil as I feared it clogging my pump. So I split the batch and in 2.5 gallons we added 2.5 oz of the powder straight in the fermenter. In the other 2.5 gallon we added the 2.5 OZ of PB2 to 2.5 oz of Vodka let it set for about a week and added the vodka to the fermenter. I'll have to be honest. Neither was really "GOOD" there was a little flavor of peanut butter with the straight power in the fermenter but the vodka one was NADA! We were going to actually try another batch and add a boatload to the mash but never got around to it.
Sorry I can't be more help but it will give you a little 411 to start with.
Good luck! Keep us posted. I think it will work but may take a few batches to dial it in.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks, Jay, and I am not surprised there was a lack of flavor depth in this beer. Considering the powder is going to precipitate out sooner or later as a protein does, I suppose there goes the flavor. This sounds like a lot of trouble for minimal results.

I have read and see many kits will use some sort of PB extract as a flavoring agent. I noted (reviews) where some folks like the extract taste but I typically note twangs or artificial tastes with extracts. With that said, I did use a hazelnut extract in a brown ale a few years ago and found it quite acceptable. This makes me think nut flavorings may be more natural tasting than fruit extracts as a comparison.

If the PB2 route is potentially a dead-end or pitfall, have you or anyone else on HBT tried an extract determined to be acceptable?

I just tapped a keg of peanut butter cup stout for my wife. After 2 weeks in the primary I added 4 oz. of peanut butter extract to the fermenter, along with 8 oz. of cocoa nibs that had soaked in a few oz. of vodka for 5 days. I let that sit another 2 weeks, kegged and than it sat in the keg 3 weeks before I tapped it. You get a peanut butter aroma and taste right away and than the chocolate comes through. Its not as in your face like a reece's but you can tell its in there, just more subtle. My wife only drinks stouts and when I surprised her with this on her birthday she said she could tell right away there was peanut butter flavor going on. She loves it. Hope this helps.

I just tapped a keg of peanut butter cup stout for my wife. After 2 weeks in the primary I added 4 oz. of peanut butter extract to the fermenter, along with 8 oz. of cocoa nibs that had soaked in a few oz. of vodka for 5 days. I let that sit another 2 weeks, kegged and than it sat in the keg 3 weeks before I tapped it. You get a peanut butter aroma and taste right away and than the chocolate comes through. Its not as in your face like a reece's but you can tell its in there, just more subtle. My wife only drinks stouts and when I surprised her with this on her birthday she said she could tell right away there was peanut butter flavor going on. She loves it. Hope this helps.

Absolutely helps! I needed to hear from someone that at least some of the extracts are acceptable. Can you remember which brand of extract you used?

Its Brewers Best Natural Peanut Butter flavoring extract from homebrew supply. Its funny, on the website they say its natural yet on the bottle it says artificial.

I saw that too! LOL. Maybe there are some natural flavors as well as artificial ones. But your wife's endorsement is all I need. This beer is for my wife too, and I doubt I'll drink much of it. She likes to tap a 4 ounce sampler of Chocolate Milk Stout as an after dinner type of cordial.

I like Brewer's Best PB flavoring. About 1oz per 5 gal works for my taste.

I read too many bad experiences with PB2 to want to bother with it.

I like Brewer's Best PB flavoring. About 1oz per 5 gal works for my taste.

I read too many bad experiences with PB2 to want to bother with it.

I was initially concerned with the oils PB brought to the table, so PB2 looked like a good option. Digging a bit deeper, I don't think I'll waste my time and resources on PB2.

Brewers Best - 1 oz per 5G keg....are you dosing this into a sweet stout?

I saw that too! LOL. Maybe there are some natural flavors as well as artificial ones. But your wife's endorsement is all I need. This beer is for my wife too, and I doubt I'll drink much of it. She likes to tap a 4 ounce sampler of Chocolate Milk Stout as an after dinner type of cordial.
Yea, the beer isn't my cup of tea, but it didn't turn out too bad considering it was my first stab at it. My wife told me to put it in the book and not to change anything.

When the wife gives you a nod of approval....don't change a darn thing!!!

If I can get the ingredient by this weekend, I'll plan to brew it.

Back