Chocolate coffee chili stout from kit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ploppythesausage

Reaction score
I plan on making a chocolate coffee and chili stout (you may have figured this part out yourself) sometime next week using a Coopers Stout kit as the base.
I had a look on Coopers website that had a recipe for an Extra Stout that used the Stout kit + 1.5kg Dark LME + 500g brewing sugar. Works out around 6% if i remember correctly.
Well I bought the Stout kit + 1kg of Dark DME + 1kg Brewing Sugar. I was also thinking of using maple syrup at one point and reducing my final amount to 4 gallons instead of 5 (I used a recipe calculator to try and 'Imperialise' the stout).

I'm not sure though of how much hops is in the Stout kit and whether using all that extra sugar and malt extract would make it too sweet.
I don't want it too bitter but not cloyingly sweet either (different style I know, but I find the Rochefort 10 an ideal balance for a strong beer). Will the higher alcohol content combined with any coffee or cocoa bitterness counteract this?

I've also heard of adding a soured can of Guiness (pour it into a sterilised container in the fridge for a month before adding to wort) to add sourness. Any thoughts on this too?

Many thanks! Appreciate your wisdom as always :mug:

Back