Chloramine in Cooled Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveDiedDancing

Reaction score
I feel like I’m being overly paranoid, but while chilling my wort today (6 Gallons), I noticed a small leak where the hose meets the chiller and some tap water full of chloramines got into my wort. My estimate is probably only a tablespoon or so as it was a very slow leak and I caught it pretty quickly. I used to be on a well and am not sure what the threshold is for problems related to this. Thank you all in advance.

No, there could be some perceptible damage. But I'd still relax and wouldn't worry about it. You might be able to pick up a chlorophenol note in the beer or not, but I'm betting that nobody else would.

Thank you Martin very much for the response. This beer actually was headed to a competition. I’ll probably still enter it so I suppose time will tell. Thank you again.

No, there could be some perceptible damage. But I'd still relax and wouldn't worry about it. You might be able to pick up a chlorophenol note in the beer or not, but I'm betting that nobody else would.
From one tablespoon? I respect your opinions Martin, but I don’t agree that it would be perceptible.

Back