Chinese food

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You ever have checkers?
Here's what I've learned:
All of those places, if they are made to the company's specifications are pretty darn good.
I like Checkers. Who doesn't like a stacked burger with a bunch of everything?
If I have any issue is that the chains insist on using a flattop/steel surface to cook the meat. They do it because the solid surface is easy to monitor, clean, etc. Burgers are far better grilled.
Only problem.
Edit: We have 5 Guys. Great system, really great. They do the flattop. The burger sits in the grease and water to cook and it tastes fried rather than grilled.
I worked for a long time in the restaurant business and cleaning a broiler (grill) doesn't add that much to the cleaning.

Here's what I've learned:
All of those places, if they are made to the company's specifications are pretty darn good.
I like Checkers. Who doesn't like a stacked burger with a bunch of everything?
If I have any issue is that the chains insist on using a flattop/steel surface to cook the meat. They do it because the solid surface is easy to monitor, clean, etc. Burgers are far better grilled.
Only problem.
I love me some checkers i love all fast food spots cheaper and greasier the better 😆

Can White Castle be beat? Those are the exception to the rule for sure. Greasy is pleasing as its own category.
Also, here in Detroit, they are paying $15/hour.
I ate 30 WC burgers one time,bombed 🤦🏻 Just packing em in one after another

I ate 30 WC burgers one time,bombed 🤦🏻 Just packing em in one after another
I'm not certain I could do (something I would try though) that but I'm no slouch and have a good overeating pedigree. I used to (emphasized) eat seven McDonald's double cheeseburgers for lunch every day. That included something like ten ketchup packets with each burger. I can eat $20 worth of Taco Bell.
When I was a kid at an end-of-year football party, 11 years old maybe?, I ate seven hotdogs. I regularly eat an actual large pizza (16"). As an adult, the key is to only do those insane things less than once a month.
Never liked how my relatives looked at me when I would just bury ridiculous amounts of food.
I'm tall and naturally large, relative to all members my family, so I'm a bit of a freak.
I do miss eating large numbers of McDonald's double cheeseburgers though.

I'm not certain I could do (something I would try though) that but I'm no slouch and have a good overeating pedigree. I used to (emphasized) eat seven McDonald's double cheeseburgers for lunch every day. That included something like ten ketchup packets with each burger. I can eat $20 worth of Taco Bell.
When I was a kid at an end-of-year football party, 11 years old maybe?, I ate seven hotdogs. I regularly eat an actual large pizza (16"). As an adult, the key is to only do those insane things less than once a month.
Never liked how my relatives looked at me when I would just bury ridiculous amounts of food.
I'm tall and naturally large, relative to all members my family, so I'm a bit of a freak.
I do miss eating large numbers of McDonald's double cheeseburgers though.
Wow bro 👊🏻🙌🏻

Is anyone else suspicious if the pizza is too perfectly round???

Yup. Perfectly round = machine-made crust. OK for frozen pizzas, but if it's a restaurant pizza I won't be back. Hand-made crust, or GTFO.

I admit to enjoying frozen pizzas, something I ate more of during the pandemic when I didn't want to dine in. In MN we have one brand, Heggie's, that I would put up against just about any delivered pizza around here. They're close to $10 in the grocery store, but worth it.

I can't believe I'm extolling the virtues of frozen pizza, but here I am. ;) I must be hungry.

Yup. Perfectly round = machine-made crust. OK for frozen pizzas, but if it's a restaurant pizza I won't be back. Hand-made crust, or GTFO.

I admit to enjoying frozen pizzas, something I ate more of during the pandemic when I didn't want to dine in. In MN we have one brand, Heggie's, that I would put up against just about any delivered pizza around here. They're close to $10 in the grocery store, but worth it.

I can't believe I'm extolling the virtues of frozen pizza, but here I am. ;) I must be hungry.
But you can watch the guy make the pizza right in front of you, being able to make a pizza perfectly round is a suspicious thing? Idk guys i love ya but wtf? i can make a beautiful, handmade perfectly round pizza and its clean i swear

But you can watch the guy make the pizza right in front of you, being able to make a pizza perfectly round is a suspicious thing? Idk guys i love ya but wtf? i can make a beautiful, handmade perfectly round pizza and its clean i swear

I'd like to subscribe to your pizza-making YouTube channel. ;)

Anyone who says there is no such thing as inedible pizza has never been to St Louis.

That's what I'm saying! Processed mozzarella, provolone, and swiss. And salty. Blech. Didn't finish more than two small pieces.

I have found a good NY-style bagel, though. Saturday mornings only. Get on line at 8, store opens at 9, by 10 they're sold out. It's worth it for the taste of home.

That's what I'm saying! Processed mozzarella, provolone, and swiss. And salty. Blech. Didn't finish more than two small pieces

Hmmmm... not sure I've ever detected any of those actual cheeses in Provel. Always seemed to me that it was more a mix of wood glue and whey.

Velveting. There's several methods - for me, the easiest is to coat the sliced chicken in a tsp of baking soda for about 20 minutes, then rinse it off.
Thats it! I just made a quick stir fry and velveted the chicken thats the secret thanks alot

Totally going to try that too, thanks!
I can confirm it works, i partially froze the breast, sliced it thin against the grain, 3/4 tsp baking soda per 8 oz breast, let it sit 20 mins , rinsed, i blanched it in boiling water for 15 seconds then added to stir fry to finish, it was identical in texture to Chinese restaurant, super tender and not dry in the least, im gonna velvet everything now

Apart from velveting, a lot of takeaways lightly poach the chicken first as you did, then of course they only spend 30 seconds in the wok as its on a 40kW burner. I think the "wok burner" on my cooker is 1 tenth of that .

Apart from velveting, a lot of takeaways lightly poach the chicken first as you did, then of course they only spend 30 seconds in the wok as its on a 40kW burner. I think the "wok burner" on my cooker is 1 tenth of that .
Yeah thats definitely a issue on the home wok, next time im taking my wok out to the 100,000 btu turkey burner

I hear ya , real Italian Napoli style pizza is great but its soupy and chewy compared with to NY pizza, and i never had pizza outside of NY in chigaco or other states famed for their pizza
I am surprised by your comment. I have had many Napoli style pizzas in Italy, Europe and even North America, and have never had one that I would call soupy. Always just minimal toppings and crispy. Is this a New York thing?

I'm assuming Long Island has as good of pizza as NYC? Some chefs have migrated here from that way to Detroit. It's lucky to have them around.
I was able to have authentic pizza there many times over a three month period.
One style I don't have any sound reference for is Chicago style. It looks good though.
I thought the Neapolitan was an accurate representation though.
Yup, a fair number of Brooklynites populated Long Island opening pizzerias and Italian bakeries and pork stores.

I am surprised by your comment. I have had many Napoli style pizzas in Italy, Europe and even North America, and have never had one that I would call soupy. Always just minimal toppings and crispy. Is this a New York thing?
To be fair, i did not try lots of different places in italy but the ones i did try soupy and chewy is a good description, utensils were needed as for NY pizza no utensils just fold and eat

Back