Chest Freezer Specs and Layouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely appreciate this thread. I was able to blindly (with a modicum of confidence and without being able to see a floor model) buy an Insignia 7 cu ft chest freezer today as a result.
When I got it home, I was able to confirm it will hold (4) ball locks on the floor. Plus room for a 2.5 gallon keg on the hump.
Bought it from Best Buy @ 229.99
Model: NS-CZ70WH0 SKU: 6385046View attachment 755034
Very nice. Might have to look into that.

The first keezer I bought fits 4 kegs and a 5lb CO2 tank on the collar. I bought what I thought was a dupe version of my first keezer, and it's like an ass hair smaller. I can't fit in a 4th keg. Ticked me off...

Definitely appreciate this thread. I was able to blindly (with a modicum of confidence and without being able to see a floor model) buy an Insignia 7 cu ft chest freezer today as a result.
When I got it home, I was able to confirm it will hold (4) ball locks on the floor. Plus room for a 2.5 gallon keg on the hump.
Excellent! Ditto for me, and I'm ordering this one from BB today.

You guys should look into some sort of shock absorbing mat to put in the bottom of these. I put a dime size hole in mine from a full commercial metal bottom keg when I lost my grip on the handle. It only fell maybe 3-4 inches, but the metal is super thin on the inside.

We need to start a GoFundMe for @thadius856 and lure him back to the thread and his hobby that led to the Greatest Thread in Beer History. Man, I wish he was still creating the layout files. But I do enjoy coming back and re-reading previous posts by all of the threads conbtributors. Great stuff here.

Do you happen to know the exterior dimensions for this one? My magic chef died and I am trying to have it fit in my keezer enclosure.

Do you happen to know the exterior dimensions for this one? My magic chef died and I am trying to have it fit in my keezer enclosure.

I see it's 20 bucks cheaper now...
  • Product Height
    33 1/2 inches
  • Product Width
    32 1/10 inches
  • Product Depth
    21.7 inches

I see it's 20 bucks cheaper now...
  • Product Height
    33 1/2 inches
  • Product Width
    32 1/10 inches
  • Product Depth
    21.7 inches
I was mostly curious about if the width was accurate. My magic chef was 35.5 inches. And my cabinet can only handle that width but I can adjust the height of the colar. Mine could fit the same amount in so I think the insignia is the way for me to go especially they have one Instock local. I'd be stock for the smaller width for extra ventilation for it.

I was mostly curious about if the width was accurate. My magic chef was 35.5 inches. And my cabinet can only handle that width but I can adjust the height of the colar. Mine could fit the same amount in so I think the insignia is the way for me to go especially they have one Instock local. I'd be stock for the smaller width for extra ventilation for it.

It is. I measured this morning before I looked that up

Model: NS-CZ70WH0 SKU: 6385046

Would you be so kind as to share the internal dimensions? Height (to inner lip), Hump height, width, depth

Trying to pick between this Insignia ( NS-CZ70WH0) and the Frigidaire ( FFCS0722AW). Unfortunately, none of the stores in my area have floor models, though half will lie about it over the phone to get you onsite lol.

I searched, but I couldn't find where the master "flat file" aka excel sheet was ever posted.

I have an exterior width limitation so it would be great to filter the database to only those models under my limit.

I was looking for the smallest chest freezer I could use for fermentation chamber. I searched this thread but found no posts confirming the use of a 3.5 cu ft.. In any case, I purchased a Magic Chef 3.5 cu. ft. Manual Defrost Chest Freezer from Home Depot. In case the link goes bad, it is model #HMCF3W5. I am able to confirm I can fit my one Chapman Univessel fermentor without modification. I will build a wood shelf to fill in void at bottom so compressor hump height is the usable height. Also, will use a blow off tube instead of usual airlock. 19 1/4 " h x 15 5/8 d x 16 1/4 " w. This works perfect for my use case.

I have no experience with chest freezers, but I'm just wondering how you get everything to not freeze up? Can the thermostat be set to above 32*.

I have no experience with chest freezers, but I'm just wondering how you get everything to not freeze up? Can the thermostat be set to above 32*.
You install an external temperature controller that allows you to set what temperature you want it at. Basically you plug the freezer into the controller and the controller into the wall. The whole thing takes maybe 5 minutes.

I just got back from Home Depot. The magic chef 7.0 fits 3 kegs. I brought my kegs there. The off brand vissani 7.0 fits 4 on the floor. $229 and I grabbed it.

Thanks, I picked this one up at HD today for 219$ it holds two tall corny kegs no sweat but with three talls and a squat one no luck. I only have one squat one so it should not be a problem.

I just picked up a Criterion 7.0 at Menards for 198. On sale until April 8. Never heard of the brand but can confirm 4 ball locks fit on the floor

Attachments

• C8CC1138-17CB-4245-9783-36B660D2FAF0.jpeg
    C8CC1138-17CB-4245-9783-36B660D2FAF0.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Model: NS-CZ70WH0 SKU: 6385046
Thanks. I am looking at that one. The 10 cu ft one also looks tempting, but is nearly twice the price. I have a 5 cu ft Insignia (my ferm chamber) that I have been very happy with.

Anyone have any experience with this small chest freezer? 21.46 in x 21.46 in x 33.26in tall (exterior), was wondering if it could fit 1 or 2 5gal kegs.
You'll have to get the exact internal dimensions, especially the floor dimensions of the deep end, next to the hump. That's where the 2 kegs will be standing. It has to be over 8.5" wide to fit a ball lock keg. And over 19" long to fit 2 of them, next to each other.

A (true) ball-lock keg is 25" tall with a diameter of 8.5".

[Added] Given the outside dimensions I would doubt you can even fit one keg in there, and definitely not 2. Although the inside height will be sufficient, the inside floor space down from the hump, is most likely not.

Last edited:
You'll have to get the exact internal dimensions, especially the floor dimensions of the deep end, next to the hump. That's where the 2 kegs will be standing. It has to be over 8.5" wide to fit a ball lock keg. And over 19" long to fit 2 of them, next to each other.

A (true) ball-lock keg is 25" tall with a diameter of 8.5".

[Added] Given the outside dimensions I would doubt you can even fit one keg in there, and definitely not 2. Although the inside height will be sufficient, the inside floor space down from the hump, is most likely not.

If you look at the 4th pic on the home depot site, it appears like it doesn't have a hump. Is that possible? maybe the whole interior is on top of the compressor? Ideally I would like to find the smallest chest freezer than can fit 2x 5gal keg and and I can run the co2 from a tank outside. I could installer a collar to drill in holes for 2 taps and co2 input. I guess the only way to determine is to order it, measure it and return it if not needed. Seems like it's sold out now :(

If you look at the 4th pic on the home depot site, it appears like it doesn't have a hump. Is that possible?
I doubt that is the case. When I looked at small chest freezers at Best Buy, they had a very narrow well. In the very last picture it looks like there is a section on the left that might be 1 ft wide where the stuck items like pizzas down into the well. So I think in the 4th picture, all you see is the top of the hump. I am sure you could use this with a collar. I don't see any lines to the lid that would cause issues (often for lights).

If you look at the 4th pic on the home depot site, it appears like it doesn't have a hump.
Every chest freezer I've ever seen has a hump, it houses the compressor. To make things worse, the hump takes up a relatively large space in smaller freezers, such as the one you're eying up.
Buy larger.

You can also use a keezer/kegerator for cold crashing and lagering beer, while dispensing other ones.

About the smallest chest freezer that will fit two ball locks in the well, leaving the space on the hump for the co2 bottle or extra storage, is 5 cu. ft.

I put this one together about a year ago. It’s a 5.0 Vissani from the Orange Box. I opted not to add a collar as I wanted the smallest unit, in all dimensions, possible. The keezer is in the space between the sofa in our living room and the dining table in the adjacent kitchen/dining space. This house is 3 beds, 2 baths, with separate utility/laundry room, all sqeezed into 1000 sq ft and no basement. Space is at a premium.

To mount the faucets I built a small box out of scrap plywood and mounted it on one corner of the lid, using 3” pass through shanks to pass the beer lines through the lid and into the box. There’s room (just barely) on the hump for a 5 lb co2 bottle and regulator, a homemade light fixture for a heat source, and a small fan to minimize condensation. The two kegs fit, diagonally, in the well with about 1\2” between them. I have had one ball lock and one converted pinlock in it but the second keg to go in was a press fit. There’s room in one corner of the well for a 16 oz aluminum beer bottle, filled with water, and stuffed into a beer koozie with the Inkbird temp probe inside the koozie, so the controller is measuring liquid temp, not ambient temp in the freezer.

The interior dimensions are:
20 1/8” wide
16 9/16” deep
27 1/4” tall in the well, 19 3/4” over the hump
The well is 13” wide, the hump is 7 1/8” wide.

2FD6F2BE-2074-4FB8-8892-631FEE0E62DD.jpeg
89B5E276-9782-4803-8037-426C951BE059.jpeg
93C59471-01DC-4B93-A8B9-F05F449DF53C.jpeg

About the smallest chest freezer that will fit two ball locks in the well, leaving the space on the hump for the co2 bottle or extra storage, is 5 cu. ft.

I put this one together about a year ago. It’s a 5.0 Vissani from the Orange Box. I opted not to add a collar as I wanted the smallest unit, in all dimensions, possible. The keezer is in the space between the sofa in our living room and the dining table in the adjacent kitchen/dining space. This house is 3 beds, 2 baths, with separate utility/laundry room, all sqeezed into 1000 sq ft and no basement. Space is at a premium.

To mount the faucets I built a small box out of scrap plywood and mounted it on one corner of the lid, using 3” pass through shanks to pass the beer lines through the lid and into the box. There’s room (just barely) on the hump for a 5 lb co2 bottle and regulator, a homemade light fixture for a heat source, and a small fan to minimize condensation. The two kegs fit, diagonally, in the well with about 1\2” between them. I have had one ball lock and one converted pinlock in it but the second keg to go in was a press fit. There’s room in one corner of the well for a 16 oz aluminum beer bottle, filled with water, and stuffed into a beer koozie with the Inkbird temp probe inside the koozie, so the controller is measuring liquid temp, not ambient temp in the freezer.

The interior dimensions are:
20 1/8” wide
16 9/16” deep
27 1/4” tall in the well, 19 3/4” over the hump
The well is 13” wide, the hump is 7 1/8” wide.

View attachment 822930View attachment 822931View attachment 822932
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vissani...h-LED-Light-Type-in-White-DCM5QRWW/317213436?
Do you think this is the same model? It says 4.9, your pics look exactly what I'm looking for: 2 kegs and a co2 tank

weird, when I click on the link it goes to:
"Vissani 24.8 in. 4.9 cu. ft. Manual Defrost Chest Freezer with LED Light Type in White"
Sorry for my misunderstanding, I meant the link in your original post #818 points to the 3.5 cf Magic Chef.
Disregard.

Yeah, that’s the one I have. When I bought it, at the local HD, it was part of a blue light special. They had a row of Vissani freezers in a couple of different sizes. The sign on the display called it 5 cu ft but the actual specs call it 4.9.
Thanks for the info, I got lucky and found one in great condition on craigslist. I was able to fit 2x 5gal ball lock kegs and a 5lb co2 with regulator. The freezer is very light weight and easy to move around.

Last edited:
Back