Chest Freezer Specs and Layouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy friends,

Just thought I'd post this info. up for anyone in the chest freezer market. Home Depot has the Magic Chef 7.0 cu. ft. on sale for $168 right now. I took my kegs into the store by my place earlier today and confirmed that you can fit 4 ball locks on the floor for the current model -

View attachment 597320

They fit in really nicely - just a bit of wiggle room. Did not have to force them in at all. Here's the info on the model I tested -
View attachment 597321

The same freezer comes in black, which is kinda nice since I know a lot of us end up painting them black any way. The model I tested was white, but I would assume the black one is the same size. Anyway, hope this helps someone out. Fitting 4 ball locks on the floor of a 7 cubic footer is pretty sweet if you ask me. Cheers and happy brewing.

Keep in mind fwiw the newer ball locks are fatter then the old tall skinny ones pictured. Cheers

Really? Ball locks getting wider? Crap, I better check all mine. Or is this only new production?

Not sure what year they switched over. All my ball locks are aeb Pepsi ones with oldest being 2008. Cheers

I would think it's the "newer" new ones that are on the market, believe they are made in Italy.

But, I don't own any, so I can't measure the O D on them.
Correct there Italian aeb ball locks. Sorry I thought I added that but didn't. Cheers

When did freezers get so skinny? Even the small ones used to be 2ft outside depth so you didn’t have to stagger kegs. I had an old 5cf-ish Roper(GE) that swallowed 3 ball locks and 5# without any mods

I just ordered the Insignia 10.2 Cu. Ft. freezer after my old kegerator died.
There are a few posts here about this freezer, and it looks like it will be able to fit 5-6 5 gallon ball lock kegs and a 20# c02 tank, which is an exciting upgrade from my old system.

My question is, what do you think about getting an extended warrantee on a new freezer? I'll be building a type of collar that I should be able to pop off quite easily, so if the compressor fails due to being overworked (or something like that happens) I could easily remove the collar and pop the lid back on and essentially pretend it was never modified, and get it repaired. But, do you think the warrantees are worth while? Also, has anyone had experience with the longevity of new chest freezers being used as refrigerators with temperature controllers? Any tips to prolong its life?

These things typically run forever or break the first week. I bet 90% of the failures are the start relays. About $5 bucks or so on eBay. Extended warranty is nothing but a money maker for them and hassle for you getting it honored

These things typically run forever or break the first week. I bet 90% of the failures are the start relays. About $5 bucks or so on eBay. Extended warranty is nothing but a money maker for them and hassle for you getting it honored

This is how I typically think about warrantees for most products, but I know absolutely nothing about refrigerator mechanics and don’t even know what a Start relay is or how to diagnose those sorts of problems. So I guess i’m the ideal dupe for an extended warranty.

Do they run forever even with a temperature controller in there, making it start and stop more frequently ?

Relay plugs into back of compressor. If the freezer or fridge won’t kick on it’s almost always that little guy. No difference with the controller. Freezer or fridge works same way the thermostat is just adjusted for a different ranger...same thermostat. The knob is a fine adjustment but there is a hidden screw for course adjusting.

Frigidaire 8.8cf LFFC09M5HW

Download this specification sheet and layout as a high-resolution printable PDF at Dropbox.

imLqxKw.png

Hi, awesome thread! Do the measurements you have here include the hinges on the back? I measured a few of these in store (excluding hinges) but I wrote down different depths. Just want to make sure before placing order online

Is anyone aware of a current-model 7cuft class freezer that will fit 4 ball locks on the floor? Looking to build a counter-height Keezer with top-mounted tap tower and want it to fit in a space 43" or narrower.

What I've found on this model: [edit: Insignia 7cf class NS-CZ70WH6 sold at BestBuy]

"Best answer: Inside dimensions: 32 inches wide, 14.5 inches deep (front to back) and 27 inches from floor to lid. Plus in the lower right floor is a step that is 8 inch wide, 8.5 inch floor to top of step"

So...

insignia_NS-CZ70WH6.jpg

It should definitely fit at least four ball lock kegs with room for disconnects. Less assured is that fifth keg - even though I slightly over-sized the keg diameters at 9.0" I wouldn't count on the 5th fitting as the freezer walls are often not dead square and plumb and the foaming can cause bulging...

Cheers!

Last edited:
What I've found on this model:

"Best answer: Inside dimensions: 32 inches wide, 14.5 inches deep (front to back) and 27 inches from floor to lid. Plus in the lower right floor is a step that is 8 inch wide, 8.5 inch floor to top of step"

So...

View attachment 641662

It should definitely fit at least four ball lock kegs with room for disconnects. Less assured is that fifth keg - even though I slightly over-sized the keg diameters at 9.0" I wouldn't count on the 5th fitting as the freezer walls are often not dead square and plumb and the foaming can cause bulging...

Cheers!
Which model is this?

From the Lowes reviews of the Idylis IF71CM33NW:
"The overall interior length (L-R) is 32" The overall interior width (front to back) is 15" The depth varies. For 23 1/2" of the width it is 26 1/2" deep and for the remaining width 8 1/2" (there is a hump) it is 18 1/2" deep."

So...

Idylis_IF71CM33NW.jpg

Looks like three kegs max sans collar...

Cheers!

Correct. I collared it to make vertical space so I could easily get a keg up on the hump. If I had to fit 5 kegs in there... I'm thinking it would be tight, but do-able.

Just my 2 cents

I bought the idyllis 7.1 a few years ago. I am usually against the extended warranties but this time I decided to buy it for around 24.99 (if I remember correctly) for 3 years. 11 months after owning it, it died. Since I set it up as my keezer I was worried about the return issues I might have. I called the warranty company and after giving my warranty number, they didn't ask many more questions. About a week later I received a check for the full amount. I then went and bought a starter relay and it was back up and running. Its still in use

Current (as of fall 2019) Magic Chef 7cu ft fits 4 ball locks and probably a 5lb tank (but not a 10lb tank) with no collar. Available in black or white at Home Depot.

Since I have 10lb tanks I'm going to add a very short collar just to give enough room to run the CO2 line in from outside without risking drilling the body. I have 2 double tap towers that are going on top which will get a wood top adhered to the lid somehow.

20190922_175234185_iOS.jpg
20190922_175241011_iOS.jpg

Yeah, I was thinking construction adhesive or epoxy. Have another use for epoxy so I was thinking of stopping by one of the marinas and getting a big epoxy kit.

Its definitely going to get heavier with two double-tap towers and a 3/4" thick lid overlay, but it appears the center of gravity will still hold the lid open from mocking it up. This plan wouldn't work against a wall, but its going to sit behind a bar, so the towers will go over the top of the bar as the lid opens.

Has anyone been able to confirm whether the GE FCM7SKWW can indeed fit four ball lock kegs on the floor? My GE FCM7SUWW just died and I was hoping to swap it out with the newer model and keep the collar and everything for my four keg setup. Four kegs in the FCM7SUWW was snug, but they all fit on the floor.

This thread is invaluable. Can it please be made a sticky? I used it to select my first chest freezer several years ago, and I just now spent several minutes searching different things to try and find it again.

Absolutely incredible amount of work here!
Thanks to all who shared, esp...Thadius? and the pic donors...
Giving me the push to finish my build.
Best regards!

Getting itchy to click the BUY NOW on a chest freezer but I have a couple of thoughts...

I want to fit 4 standard ball locks on the floor, with maybe room for a 5th for lagering. Best Buy has an Insignia 10.2 right now for $259, will that be big enough?

It will also likely have to live in the garage here in Chicago where garage temps drop below 32 in the winter for days or weeks at a time. My thought was to use a dual stage inkbird to run the freezer when temps are above 40f and kick on a heater inside the freezer (ceramic reptile heating bulb) if it drops lower than 32f to keep the beer from freezing. I'm assuming that since the compressor won't kick on at all during the coldest months it is safe from damage, is this correct? I've seen "garage-ready" chest freezers but they are kinda pricy.

Thanks to so many posts here, I finally made more progress on my build. Probably over engineered some things and messed a few others up, but what a sense of accomplishment... finally. Still need a thermostat controller and some tubing, but... Time to get brewing.

Attachments

• 004737E0-D0BB-40B8-AB04-605A976A116A.jpeg
    004737E0-D0BB-40B8-AB04-605A976A116A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 167
  • 1EE26268-EA2A-45A5-A533-01ECC4A59480.jpeg
    1EE26268-EA2A-45A5-A533-01ECC4A59480.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 174
  • 7638A282-4542-4349-A71E-EA5BA11D9524.jpeg
    7638A282-4542-4349-A71E-EA5BA11D9524.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 186
  • F4D8F9BF-7640-4F0D-87EA-0A216FDED154.jpeg
    F4D8F9BF-7640-4F0D-87EA-0A216FDED154.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 188
  • E9A6A182-9655-47C3-82C4-289E8B2F3FBF.jpeg
    E9A6A182-9655-47C3-82C4-289E8B2F3FBF.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 193
Has anyone used this one for ball lock kegs? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Chef-5-0-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-in-White-HMCF5W3/305468704

I measured ~16.5" x 13.25" not including the hump. If I draw it, I should be able to get 2 ball lock kegs. I used 8 3/8" and 8 1/2" diameters and they both work.

View attachment 651744
I just bought this 2 days ago for $120 @ home depot. I believe it will fit 2 ball lock 5 gallon cornies. I have an atypical setup, but it fits my 5 gallon ball lock keg + a 2.5 gallon torpedo keg on the floor, then my 5 lb tank and another 2.5 gall torpedo on the hump.

I just bought this 2 days ago for $120 @ home depot. I believe it will fit 2 ball lock 5 gallon cornies. I have an atypical setup, but it fits my 5 gallon ball lock keg + a 2.5 gallon torpedo keg on the floor, then my 5 lb tank and another 2.5 gall torpedo on the hump.

Good to know! It looks like 2.5gal Torpedo Kegs are 9 1/8" in Diameter? Does that sound right? If so, there should be no problems fitting 2 Ball Lock Corny Kegs in. Thanks!

Back