Chest Freezer Specs and Layouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off, thank you for all that contributed to this thread. Tons of useful info in here. Ultimately helped me figure out what I needed for my chest freezer build.

Thought I would share what I wind up with - hope it helps someone like it did for me

Bought the following from HomeDepot. It was on sale, $100 off ref price and holds 10 Ball lock corny's on the floor and one on the hump if needed with collar.

Maytag 14.8 cu. ft. Chest Freezer in White

Model #MZC31T15DW
Internet #205736970
Store SO SKU #1001209522
Unit Price$399.60
Qty1
Total$399.60

View attachment IMG_4075.jpg

Maytag 14.8cf MQC1552TEW

Download this specification sheet and layout as a high-resolution printable PDF at Dropbox.

NbnnITF.png

maytag.jpg

You'd need a full collar, and probably a prop for one of the kegs.
For sure it'd be tight, but it'd fit. If you went with a 10 pound cylinder at 6" D it'd be markedly easier...

Cheers!

View attachment 546714
You'd need a full collar, and probably a prop for one of the kegs.
For sure it'd be tight, but it'd fit. If you went with a 10 pound cylinder at 6" D it'd be markedly easier...

Cheers!
Awesome! thanks for the draft. Considering going with (8) 1/6th and a 20# or 10# instead. What program are you using to make that draft? Thanks so much for all of your help.

I use CorelDraw, I've used it for decades so it's my go-to drawing program for simple stuff.
It's really more of an artistic content creation tool but it has always had a surprising level of support for technical drawings.

fwiw, this is what a 10 pound cylinder could do to ease the crowding...

maytag_02.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Chest Freezer Specs Sheets and Layout Drawings

Like what you see? Click 'Like' at the bottom of this post!

Introduction

A little while back, I discovered the [thread=75449]Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs[/thread] thread that inspired me to build a keezer and a fermentation chamber. I was blown away at how much information has been gathered to date on chest freezer models. Unfortunately, the thread has become increasingly disorganized as it has aged and, at over 60 pages, is unwieldy to browse. I found myself search for hours on hours just trying to determine which freezer could suit my needs (four kegs on the floor, fifth on the hump). As with many of my purchases, it resulted in a huge spreadsheet filled with numbers that I'll never look back at.

In an attempt to help the community here, I decided to utilize my CAD skills to help others vastly shorten their search to find the perfect chest freezer for them. To this end, I've created a specification sheet and layout drawings for several models of chest freezer so that their homebrew capabilities, prices and special features can be browsed on-the-fly. My goal is to gather, synthesize, and present these products for each of 30 models, ranging from 3.5 cu ft to 25 cu ft in capacity.

Thadius! thanks so much! this is awesome! I am about to upgrade from a 7.5 that originally had a double tower, that was upgraded to a triple, and now I want to go much larger. Originally I thought if I had 6 taps and 2 "on deck" that it would be way more than I will ever need.
Of course you can see where this is going. Currently I have 6 kegs with about a gallon in each and can only tap 3 at a time. I am now leaning towards 8 taps and room for 2 to 3 on deck, or a fermenter bucket to try my hand at lagers, after-all, weren't we all weaned on lagers?

I intend to spend a lot of time here over the next few weeks (months?) while I do it right this time. the little guy will become my "picnic" system.

Happy Holidays
Merry Everything and Cheers!

Good Morning!

Looking to create my first fermentation chamber. I've got my ink bird dual temp controller and my brew jacket heat source. Now just need to add the chest freezer for cooling. This seems like a pretty solid deal that walmart just released today -- https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arctic-King-5-0-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-Black/45723096

Does anyone have experience with it? I'm guessing it will not be a problem fitting my 6 gallon plastic carboy in it, but thought I'd check if others have used it. I also plan to convert to kegerator and rotate between fermenting into using the keg.

Arctic King 5 cu ft chest freezer
20.6 D x 28.7 W x 33.5 H Inches
Model # WHS-185C1WSB

I recently bought what was advertised as a 5.1 cu ft chest freezer. After installing a collar, I am able to get 6 ball lock kegs in it. So you'll be fine to fit a (or several) plastic carboy(s) in it.

I recently bought what was advertised as a 5.1 cu ft chest freezer. After installing a collar, I am able to get 6 ball lock kegs in it. So you'll be fine to fit a (or several) plastic carboy(s) in it.
Good to hear! How big was the collar you installed? I plan to add a collar once I get through a ferment/keg/serve cycle.

10". Not only does it give you a bit more room to manipulate kegs and hoses inside, it brings the taps up to a more comfortable serving position. I installed a 110V computer type fan to the collar to keep air circulating inside. It gets a bit noisy, so I have it plugged into the controller so it only runs when the compressor runs. I also have it sitting on a pallet to which I attached wheels. I then "cladded" it will old clapboard I had salvaged from my farmhouse renovation. The clapboard is nailed into the pallet and the collar. The collar is sitting on the chest held in place with silicone. So if I ever needed to convert it back to a freezer, it would be pretty easy and the freezer has not been damaged whatsoever.

Attachments

• Collar.jpg
    Collar.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 885
  • Finished.JPG
    Finished.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 946
10". Not only does it give you a bit more room to manipulate kegs and hoses inside, it brings the taps up to a more comfortable serving position. I installed a 110V computer type fan to the collar to keep air circulating inside. It gets a bit noisy, so I have it plugged into the controller so it only runs when the compressor runs. I also have it sitting on a pallet to which I attached wheels. I then "cladded" it will old clapboard I had salvaged from my farmhouse renovation. The clapboard is nailed into the pallet and the collar. The collar is sitting on the chest held in place with silicone. So if I ever needed to convert it back to a freezer, it would be pretty easy and the freezer has not been damaged whatsoever.
wow that is a fantastic looking setup! Did you use any insulation other than the silicone? Got the freezer ordered. Can't wait to get to work on it.

The silicone was just to "glue" the collar to the chest. The hinges were moved from the chest to the collar and the lid attached to the hinges. The collar itself is insulated. Here it is with 6 kegs almost all in. (The one sticking up eventually slid down to the bottom and leveled itself with the other one sitting on the hump. The white thing hanging from the fan is a closet dehumidifier to reduce condensation.

I just realized, that is not a 5.1 cu ft freezer! That's what I was going to buy in the first place but I ended up getting a 7.2 cu ft Frigidaire model FFFC07M1QW from Lowes. Sorry for the misinformation. But nonetheless, you will be OK with your 5 cu ft model. You'll get your carboy(s) in there no problem and if you turn it into a serving fridge, 4 kegs will fit.

Attachments

• MaxedOut.jpg
    MaxedOut.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 776
No worries. I'm excited the freezer is already coming today so I can work on setup this weekend! Thanks for the tips!

I just bought this chest freezer at Best Buy, holds 3 kegs without a collar (see photo). Details are:
Insignia (Best Buy) 7.0 cu ft Chest Freezer, model NS-CZ70WH6
White only
In-store and online
Pricing: $199.99 but seems to be on sale for 169.99 a lot.
Exterior: 37.25 x 20.75 (incl hinge) x 33.375 H
Interior: 31.875 x 14.5 x 27.75 (top looking down has rounding on edges)
Hump: 8.25 wide, distance from hump to top: 19.375

View attachment 376316

Oh man.. thanks for posting that info.. I am about to pick up one of these tomorrow.. Its running $159 at the moment.. I was thinking of the 5 cu ft model.. but I was nervous it wouldn't be big enough to offer at least a tiny bit of flexibility.. (There is only $15 difference between the 5 cu ft model and the 7 cu ft) This unit ranked high (and a best buy) on consumer reports... I was struggling to find internal dimensions... And you even put in some placemats in to show the size of the kegs...

Awesome..!

I bought the Insignia 5 cu ft. I have in it a sixter with a standard D style coupler and a corny with a 5lb bottle. The bottle fits astride the kegs, however the regulator makes it difficult if not impossible to seat it on the floor. If it had regulators on a manifold then you could have two 5lb bottles in it as well., and use the hump/basket for other stuff. I have the bottle sitting on the hump for now, until I solve the regulator issue.

Oh man.. thanks for posting that info.. I am about to pick up one of these tomorrow.. Its running $159 at the moment.. I was thinking of the 5 cu ft model.. but I was nervous it wouldn't be big enough to offer at least a tiny bit of flexibility.. (There is only $15 difference between the 5 cu ft model and the 7 cu ft) This unit ranked high (and a best buy) on consumer reports... I was struggling to find internal dimensions... And you even put in some placemats in to show the size of the kegs...

Awesome..!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insign...b747d5311e8afd32a34d537341f0INT&skuId=8390027

$120 now

Awwwww Dang that kills me!.. Thats a good price. It has been really good.. I am very pleased and happy I got the 7cu ft one. The only complaint is that the inside walls are very 'dentable'. I put some wooden planks on the bottom to protect the floor.

I just bought this chest freezer at Best Buy, holds 3 kegs without a collar (see photo). Details are:
Insignia (Best Buy) 7.0 cu ft Chest Freezer, model NS-CZ70WH6
White only
In-store and online
Pricing: $199.99 but seems to be on sale for 169.99 a lot.
Exterior: 37.25 x 20.75 (incl hinge) x 33.375 H
Interior: 31.875 x 14.5 x 27.75 (top looking down has rounding on edges)
Hump: 8.25 wide, distance from hump to top: 19.375

View attachment 376316

Ball lock im assuming?

Outstanding work on this thread!!!

I read most the first page of this thread and the last few pages of it. Excellent work.
Gathering info for the smallest chest that will fit under counter top ( not wider that 37.5) and needs to fit 4.
Some of the models I got are newer then the originals that seem to fit 4.

Here's my little list

1. GE-7.0cu ft FCM7SKWW - seems to have the same dimensions as the (GE 7.0cf FCM7SUWW discontinued did fit 4 )

Interior 31.5"(W) 27.5"(H) 15"(D)

Exterior (H) (Inches) 33.5 (D) (Inches) 21.75 (W) (Inches) 37.5

2. Frigidaire 7.2 cu. ft. FFFC07M1TW ((# FFFC07M1QW discontinued did fit 4 )

Interior 32-1/4"(W) 27-7/16"(H) 14-3/4" (D)

Exterior (H) 33.625 (W) 37.375 in (D) 20.687

3. Magic Chef 6.9 cu. ft. HMCF7W2 (is this too small ? HMCF7W was the previous model, people did fit 4)

Interior 21 1/2" (W) 25 1/2" (H) 15 1/2" (D)

Exterior (H) 32.6 (W) 36.9 (D) 22

4. Igloo 7.2cf FRF 470 ( 472 was reported to fit 4)
no info on interior/exterior

Can anyone confirm they have any of the above and an that they fit 4 without collar ?

If know others that you have and fit 4 please reply.

Much appreciated!

Did my best to scan this but has anyone got the dimensions/keg numbers for any of the 3.5-3.6 cu ft chest freezers? They would need a high collar but I am cramped for space in my new place and seriously considering this as an option if i could get 3 ball locks in it with a ~12 inch collar. I am assuming the placement would look like one down, one on the hump, one kinda wedged in half on the hump, co2 outside.

Did my best to scan this but has anyone got the dimensions/keg numbers for any of the 3.5-3.6 cu ft chest freezers? They would need a high collar but I am cramped for space in my new place and seriously considering this as an option if i could get 3 ball locks in it with a ~12 inch collar. I am assuming the placement would look like one down, one on the hump, one kinda wedged in half on the hump, co2 outside.

I second that. Looking for a high efficiency replacement for my 2 tap kegorator and I think perhaps a 3.5/3.6 cu ft freezer with a collar would possibly be perfect. If anyone has one and could provide the specs, I’d be indebted to you.

Outstanding work on this thread!!!

I read most the first page of this thread and the last few pages of it. Excellent work.
Gathering info for the smallest chest that will fit under counter top ( not wider that 37.5) and needs to fit 4.
Some of the models I got are newer then the originals that seem to fit 4.

Here's my little list

1. GE-7.0cu ft FCM7SKWW - seems to have the same dimensions as the (GE 7.0cf FCM7SUWW discontinued did fit 4 )

Interior 31.5"(W) 27.5"(H) 15"(D)

Exterior (H) (Inches) 33.5 (D) (Inches) 21.75 (W) (Inches) 37.5

2. Frigidaire 7.2 cu. ft. FFFC07M1TW ((# FFFC07M1QW discontinued did fit 4 )

Interior 32-1/4"(W) 27-7/16"(H) 14-3/4" (D)

Exterior (H) 33.625 (W) 37.375 in (D) 20.687

3. Magic Chef 6.9 cu. ft. HMCF7W2 (is this too small ? HMCF7W was the previous model, people did fit 4)

Interior 21 1/2" (W) 25 1/2" (H) 15 1/2" (D)

Exterior (H) 32.6 (W) 36.9 (D) 22

4. Igloo 7.2cf FRF 470 ( 472 was reported to fit 4)
no info on interior/exterior

Can anyone confirm they have any of the above and an that they fit 4 without collar ?

If know others that you have and fit 4 please reply.

Much appreciated!

It seems that the Magic Chef 6.9 isn't made anymore. Not in stock at any home depot for 100 miles from Chicago at least. The W3 is the 7.0 cuft one, but the exterior dimensions are quite a bit different, so not sure if it can fit 4 kegs.

Howdy friends,

Just thought I'd post this info. up for anyone in the chest freezer market. Home Depot has the Magic Chef 7.0 cu. ft. on sale for $168 right now. I took my kegs into the store by my place earlier today and confirmed that you can fit 4 ball locks on the floor for the current model -

IMG_0860.JPG

They fit in really nicely - just a bit of wiggle room. Did not have to force them in at all. Here's the info on the model I tested -
IMG_0861.JPG

The same freezer comes in black, which is kinda nice since I know a lot of us end up painting them black any way. The model I tested was white, but I would assume the black one is the same size. Anyway, hope this helps someone out. Fitting 4 ball locks on the floor of a 7 cubic footer is pretty sweet if you ask me. Cheers and happy brewing.

Howdy friends,

Just thought I'd post this info. up for anyone in the chest freezer market. Home Depot has the Magic Chef 7.0 cu. ft. on sale for $168 right now. I took my kegs into the store by my place earlier today and confirmed that you can fit 4 ball locks on the floor for the current model -

View attachment 597320

They fit in really nicely - just a bit of wiggle room. Did not have to force them in at all. Here's the info on the model I tested -
View attachment 597321

The same freezer comes in black, which is kinda nice since I know a lot of us end up painting them black any way. The model I tested was white, but I would assume the black one is the same size. Anyway, hope this helps someone out. Fitting 4 ball locks on the floor of a 7 cubic footer is pretty sweet if you ask me. Cheers and happy brewing.

I'm on my way to pick up the black model this afternoon. I'll confirm if 4 fit...

GE FCM7SUBWW. Fits 3 ball locks and a 20# on the floor. I don’t have any more info since I didn’t buy it. Was used and as soon as it wouldn’t swallow 4 kegs I passed. It came up 1/2” short on the floor width to take the 4th keg

GE FCM7SUBWW. Fits 3 ball locks and a 20# on the floor. I don’t have any more info since I didn’t buy it. Was used and as soon as it wouldn’t swallow 4 kegs I passed. It came up 1/2” short on the floor width to take the 4th keg

1/2 inch is 1/8 inch in each direction.........Massage it...... ;)

Back