Chest Freezer for 4 Carboy Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanoj

Reaction score
I have an 8.8 cubic foot freezer that I converted to a fermentation chamber. Works like a charm. My "problem" is that it only holds two carboys and we have begun doing double batches of 10 gallons and we need more space.

I am looking at getting the smallest chest freezer that can handle 4 of the biggest (widest actually) carboys I may come across.

This one I am looking at right now is 12.9cu ft: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?productId=3045125

or this 14.8cu ft: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?productId=3529016

Anyone have any experience with either? The first one looks like it may be a bit too small. The second is going to be big enough.

I may just cut out some circles in cardboard and take them to the store. How big should I make them? My carboys appear to be 12" in diameter, but I am hoping to be prepared for wider ones if I come across them in the future.

Thanks for any input in advance.

-Sean

I made circles 13" dia. to try in a freezer at the appliance store before purchasing. Ended up with a 8.8 cu ft Frigidaire that holds 2 buckets or carboys on the floor and a bucket without air lock on the hump.

I might suggest that you simply invest in another small freezer so that you can do 20 gal. batches or two different 10 gal. batches with different requirements at the same time.

The 8.8 ft that I have now is working perfectly for a 10 gallon batch. I just find myself wiht a lager in the box and wanting to do an ale. I was thinking that with an 8.8 and a 14.8 (or smaller) I could have 4 carboys lagering and 2 carboys chugging at ale temps. Maybe even have one double as a keezer for serving at big parties.

I was hoping that someone on the board would know if I could get away with a 12.9ft and get 4 carboys in it. I will post my cut-out results when I have them.

-Sean

I have a 14.7ft that I'm using for a fermentation chamber. It fits 4 carboys and some blow off growlers nicely. However, it will not hold the carboys with milkcrates which is unfortunately for moving them in and out.

I don't brew that much volume right now, but as I start to brew more and more, I'll start to make better use of the space in a fridge/freezer by aging/storing batches in kornies. The fridge in my shed can hold 6 of them and still have wasted space in it. I'll probably cut out the separation between the fridge and freezer compartments (assuming there are no coolant lines in there). That way I'll be able to fit 12 kornies in there.

I bought a Whirlpool 14.8cf chest freezer (Model number EH151FXTQ) for ~$400 delivered from Lowes.

I put two 6.5gal carboys and two 6.0gal carboys (10 gals each of a popcorn pilsner and an Oktoberfest) in it yesterday. I am using a Ranco analog controller until my digital unit arrives from Hong Kong (see the Aquarium Thermostat thread in this forum).

The freezer is plenty big for four of the bigger carboys. It also has the little shelf portion over the compressor that is probably 9 inches wide that would fit blow-off containers or yeast starters easily.

I don't have pictures or interior measurements yet, but will try to get something soon. Exterior is approximately 30" deep by 46" wide by 34" tall. I am guessing interior dimensions are 24" deep by 40" wide by 34" tall. It has a light in the interior of the lid. The lid has a lock (plastic key). It comes with four plastic baskets that drop in to fit on two different levels (2 on each level). It also has an adapter to add a hose to the drain. The interior is steel, with rounded corners that should make it easier to clean. Otherwise, not much to it.

The thing kicked on without problem and developed a slight frost in the interior that made it obvious that there are cooling pipes in all four walls. I am hoping to weld up a frame with casters for it to sit on. That way I can build a table for it to roll under and out of the way. More room in the garage that way.

It is energy star compliant, so that should keep the operating expenses down. The tag says $38 per year to run it.

I bought a Whirlpool 14.8cf chest freezer (Model number EH151FXTQ) for ~$400 delivered from Lowes.

I put two 6.5gal carboys and two 6.0gal carboys (10 gals each of a popcorn pilsner and an Oktoberfest) in it yesterday. I am using a Ranco analog controller until my digital unit arrives from Hong Kong (see the Aquarium Thermostat thread in this forum).

The freezer is plenty big for four of the bigger carboys. It also has the little shelf portion over the compressor that is probably 9 inches wide that would fit blow-off containers or yeast starters easily.

I don't have pictures or interior measurements yet, but will try to get something soon. Exterior is approximately 30" deep by 46" wide by 34" tall. I am guessing interior dimensions are 24" deep by 40" wide by 34" tall. It has a light in the interior of the lid. The lid has a lock (plastic key). It comes with four plastic baskets that drop in to fit on two different levels (2 on each level). It also has an adapter to add a hose to the drain. The interior is steel, with rounded corners that should make it easier to clean. Otherwise, not much to it.

The thing kicked on without problem and developed a slight frost in the interior that made it obvious that there are cooling pipes in all four walls. I am hoping to weld up a frame with casters for it to sit on. That way I can build a table for it to roll under and out of the way. More room in the garage that way.

It is energy star compliant, so that should keep the operating expenses down. The tag says $38 per year to run it.

If your going to use it as a fermentation chamber I would recommend putting a cup or two of calcium chloride in there (Damp Rid). I didn't at first and had some moisture problems inside which let the freezer rust a bit on the seems. Functionally fine, but looks like crap. It's cheap stuff and you can get it at a pool store in bulk.

great thread im looking into buying a chest freezer for carboy fermentation. Thanks for all the great info. ill post back here when i get my setup going. cheers

Back