Chemipro Oxi - white spots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pixelhussar

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I use Chemipro Oxi no rinse sanitizer to sanitize my equpiment and bottles. It works well, except it leaves limestone like white spots on the surface. My supplier told me that this is a cosmetical problem only, but still...

...you know, I'm a little anixous abot filling bottles that has white spots around it's neck, particluarly if cap onto these spots. Not to mention that if someone opens one of my bottle, this white stuff is the first thing he sees.

How do you usually handle this issue?

Thanks.

Let me refresh this question.

I also use only Chemipro OXI and have noticed that some white spots appear on some bottles (green only, and never on brown bottles). Because I don't have any problems, I just don't pay attention.

You need to use an acid rinse after the alkaline cleanser to remove the scaling and inorganic residue.

You need to use an acid rinse after the alkaline cleanser to remove the scaling and inorganic residue.

You don't think OXI is enough? It is designed to clean less dirty items and disinfect at the same time.

Proper cleaning and sanitizing procedure for all brewing equipment is: water rinse, alkaline cleaner, water rinse, acid cleaner/rinse, water rinse, sanitizer. Take a short cut and get what you pay for.

I know some people who use only hot water for washing and disinfection and say that's enough. They say they don't want chemicals in beer.
I personally wash the fermenter mostly with hot water only, and I add OXI every tenth time or less. For the bottles I always use OXI.

Anyway I will try to use SAN after OXI for the bottles even though I had no problems with the infection.

Beer is made out of chemicals.
You are made out of chemicals.
Besides hydrogen, our atoms were forms via nuclear fusion in the core of a star billions of years ago. No reason to be ashamed of that. :)

I prefer to use proper cleaning methods to fully minimize the risk of contamination and bottle bombs. All the cleansing agents get rinsed away with water.

Some people prefer to take shortcuts; sometimes they're contamination-free for a good while, or they just don't recognize the signs of contamination when there's not a pellicle staring them in the face.

Beer is made out of chemicals.
You are made out of chemicals.
Besides hydrogen, our atoms were forms via nuclear fusion in the core of a star billions of years ago. No reason to be ashamed of that. :)

I prefer to use proper cleaning methods to fully minimize the risk of contamination and bottle bombs. All the cleansing agents get rinsed away with water.

Some people prefer to take shortcuts; sometimes they're contamination-free for a good while, or they just don't recognize the signs of contamination when there's not a pellicle staring them in the face.

I wanted to repeat the Brulosophy experiment, but it failed. Maybe because I didn't have enough experience back then. I haven't tried that since. Now I only work with yeasts that are not so sensitive to temperature (US-05, BE-134, M29). As far as I can remember, even then there was no problem with contamination but there were too many esters. The beer could be drunk, but it tasted bad.

In any case, I support your view that it is always better to do more about disinfection, it's just a question of whether it's really necessary.

I have to buy Chemipro SAN (like StarSan) so I'll try how it will work on these white spots on some bottles.

It is not only clear to me why it only occurs on a smaller part of the bottles and never on the brown bottles?

Latest posts

Back