Chemical cleansing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
I was recently given a carboy by a wine maker, and it was a bit coated with a purple film that just didn't want to come off. So.... I filled the carboy and added some dishwashing machine powder. Half an hour, and it's clean. EXCEPT, I understand those powders leave some residue, so I rinsed with TSP and then water. Am I good to go? Any thoughts on the "impossible" to clean carboy (except, don't get em that way to begin with...)?

I've had quite a bit of luck with oxyclean. Leaves it spotless and I haven't used my carboy brush since. Just leave it soaking overnight and rinse well.

If your carboy is visibly clean and there are no off smells in it, I say you are probably good to go.

Chlorine bleach is good for organic residue. Another great cleaner is PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash).

Prosit!

I'll have to look for those... never seen either product...

Like TNLandsailor mentioned chlorine works great for this type of cleaning. I always take my vessels and do a 2oz to 5g mix and let it sit 24h. Cleans all the grunge right off. Just rinse with hot water, store and use sanitzer when its time to use it. Ditto with bottles. Nothings cheaper either...

Still amazes me that this doesn't get the smell out of plastic though (and why I use glass now)

Does anyone know a good source of where I could purchase some Iodopher? Another question, what sanitizing solutions do you other guys all use besides Iodopher?

desertBrew said:
Like TNLandsailor mentioned chlorine works great for this type of cleaning. I always take my vessels and do a 2oz to 5g mix and let it sit 24h. Cleans all the grunge right off. Just rinse with hot water, store and use sanitzer when its time to use it. Ditto with bottles. Nothings cheaper either...

Still amazes me that this doesn't get the smell out of plastic though (and why I use glass now)

Use bleach and let it sit for 24 hours as recommended above.

As for smells, I sanitize and air dry then leave the lid off for a couple of days and the smell dissipates. :D

you can get idophor any where they sell resturant supplies, as well as at beaty solon supply shops, my moms used to dress hair and have idohpor with a bunch of combs in it soaking, never knew what she used it for till i started brewing.. :D

Bergstud, I use chlorine and/or sodium metabisulphite for sanitizing.

You can use chlorine on glass but do NOT use it on stainless steel . It is corrosive. I learned my lesson when I use to sanitize some of my grolsh bottles with it . It ate the hell out of the stainless steel locks. My homebrew supply sells idaphor in a quart bottle for about $10.00. A little goes a long way. I suspect your local homebrew supply can fix you up with idaphor.

Sudster said:
You can use chlorine on glass but do NOT use it on stainless steel . It is corrosive. I learned my lesson when I use to sanitize some of my grolsh bottles with it . It ate the hell out of the stainless steel locks.

Remove the caps from the bottle prior to soaking in bleach water. :D

The User Desertbrew has a gadget on his homepage http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com/
called the carboy cleaner. - I made one last weekend, and had the opportunity to use it for the first time on saturday (July 2nd) all I can say - WOW!

Thank you very much Dennis, it is a dream, and it is great for just getting a good rinse out of the carboy :)

ANdrew

kilroy said:
The User Desertbrew has a gadget on his homepage http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com/
called the carboy cleaner. - I made one last weekend, and had the opportunity to use it for the first time on saturday (July 2nd) all I can say - WOW!

Thank you very much Dennis, it is a dream, and it is great for just getting a good rinse out of the carboy :)

ANdrew

I could be wrong but I thought that was tnlandsailor's homepage...

Well thank you to whoever designed it - cause it works fantstically :)

Andrew

I use a no-rinse cleaner. I dumped my 5 gallon bucket in the front yard and the cleanser (1Tsp) burned the hell out of the grass. So, I'm pretty sure it will kill any microrganisms in bottles, buckets, etc.

Back