Quantcast

Chemical cleansing?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Sasquatch

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2005
Messages
539
Reaction score
1
I was recently given a carboy by a wine maker, and it was a bit coated with a purple film that just didn't want to come off. So.... I filled the carboy and added some dishwashing machine powder. Half an hour, and it's clean. EXCEPT, I understand those powders leave some residue, so I rinsed with TSP and then water. Am I good to go? Any thoughts on the "impossible" to clean carboy (except, don't get em that way to begin with...)?
 

Kephren

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
215
Reaction score
2
Location
Reno, NV
I've had quite a bit of luck with oxyclean. Leaves it spotless and I haven't used my carboy brush since. Just leave it soaking overnight and rinse well.
 

tnlandsailor

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2005
Messages
533
Reaction score
21
Location
Knoxville, TN
If your carboy is visibly clean and there are no off smells in it, I say you are probably good to go.

Chlorine bleach is good for organic residue. Another great cleaner is PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash).

Prosit!
 
OP
Sasquatch

Sasquatch

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2005
Messages
539
Reaction score
1
I'll have to look for those... never seen either product...
 
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
6,024
Reaction score
152
Location
Twin Cities, MN
Like TNLandsailor mentioned chlorine works great for this type of cleaning. I always take my vessels and do a 2oz to 5g mix and let it sit 24h. Cleans all the grunge right off. Just rinse with hot water, store and use sanitzer when its time to use it. Ditto with bottles. Nothings cheaper either...

Still amazes me that this doesn't get the smell out of plastic though (and why I use glass now)
 

bergstud140

New Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2005
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Does anyone know a good source of where I could purchase some Iodopher? Another question, what sanitizing solutions do you other guys all use besides Iodopher?
 

homebrewer_99

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
19,578
Reaction score
1,192
Location
I-80, Exit 27 (near the Quad Cities)
desertBrew said:
Like TNLandsailor mentioned chlorine works great for this type of cleaning. I always take my vessels and do a 2oz to 5g mix and let it sit 24h. Cleans all the grunge right off. Just rinse with hot water, store and use sanitzer when its time to use it. Ditto with bottles. Nothings cheaper either...

Still amazes me that this doesn't get the smell out of plastic though (and why I use glass now)
Use bleach and let it sit for 24 hours as recommended above.

As for smells, I sanitize and air dry then leave the lid off for a couple of days and the smell dissipates. :D
 

uglygoat

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
2,765
Reaction score
10
Location
Clebland, OH
you can get idophor any where they sell resturant supplies, as well as at beaty solon supply shops, my moms used to dress hair and have idohpor with a bunch of combs in it soaking, never knew what she used it for till i started brewing.. :D
 
OP
Sasquatch

Sasquatch

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2005
Messages
539
Reaction score
1
Bergstud, I use chlorine and/or sodium metabisulphite for sanitizing.
 

Sir Sudster

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 27, 2005
Messages
1,030
Reaction score
2
Location
Buda, Tx
You can use chlorine on glass but do NOT use it on stainless steel . It is corrosive. I learned my lesson when I use to sanitize some of my grolsh bottles with it . It ate the hell out of the stainless steel locks. My homebrew supply sells idaphor in a quart bottle for about $10.00. A little goes a long way. I suspect your local homebrew supply can fix you up with idaphor.
 

homebrewer_99

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
19,578
Reaction score
1,192
Location
I-80, Exit 27 (near the Quad Cities)
Sudster said:
You can use chlorine on glass but do NOT use it on stainless steel . It is corrosive. I learned my lesson when I use to sanitize some of my grolsh bottles with it . It ate the hell out of the stainless steel locks.
Remove the caps from the bottle prior to soaking in bleach water. :D
 

kilroy

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 17, 2005
Messages
110
Reaction score
2
The User Desertbrew has a gadget on his homepage http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com/
called the carboy cleaner. - I made one last weekend, and had the opportunity to use it for the first time on saturday (July 2nd) all I can say - WOW!

Thank you very much Dennis, it is a dream, and it is great for just getting a good rinse out of the carboy :)

ANdrew
 

cygnus128

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
kilroy said:
The User Desertbrew has a gadget on his homepage http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com/
called the carboy cleaner. - I made one last weekend, and had the opportunity to use it for the first time on saturday (July 2nd) all I can say - WOW!

Thank you very much Dennis, it is a dream, and it is great for just getting a good rinse out of the carboy :)

ANdrew
I could be wrong but I thought that was tnlandsailor's homepage...
 

kilroy

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 17, 2005
Messages
110
Reaction score
2
Well thank you to whoever designed it - cause it works fantstically :)

Andrew
 

Born Brewing Co.

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2005
Messages
228
Reaction score
1
Location
Sycamore, IL
I use a no-rinse cleaner. I dumped my 5 gallon bucket in the front yard and the cleanser (1Tsp) burned the hell out of the grass. So, I'm pretty sure it will kill any microrganisms in bottles, buckets, etc.
 
Top