Cheers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyDarling

Reaction score
Hey guys! I've been checking out this forum for a few weeks, mostly looking at all the DIY content you guys have going on here. I'm a single working mom, so buying an expensive brewing system is pretty much out of the question for me. Ive brewed a few times with friends but I'm trying to get my own home-set up going.

I'm starting with a bare-bones set up. Burner, pot, carboy, fermenter, and insanity. Once I can get a decent brew the hard way I will start working for a larger set up. I'm thinking 3 tier with a pump is my goal in the next year.

Looking forward to getting some tips from you all! :tank:

Welcome to the club!

Forget glass carboys, they're not worth the risk or the money (unless you use them for long, long term aging). Use buckets for fermentation instead. Cheap, easy to clean, and they bounce if you drop them, no harm done.

The only way I've done it was with glass car boys. Do you maybe have a link to how to make the bucket?

Using buckets for fermentation is as easy as they look. Most of this is common sense, but since you asked, here it goes, in detail.

Procedure for bucket and lid:
  • Note: Pay attention to cleaning under the grommet where the airlock goes, or push the grommet out.
    Don't scratch or abrade the bucket or lid.

• Clean: PBW, Oxiclean Free - kitchen sponge with the soft felt-like scrubby side, no Scotchbrite/abrasive pads.

• Sanitize: Starsan, IOStar, Iodophor, or bleach (not preferred) - Wipe on liberally with sponge, spray bottle or soak.

• Rinse: Only if your sanitizer needs to be rinsed out - Therefore, use Starsan, preferably, it's no-rinse.

• Fill with wort while keeping the large opening covered with sanitized lid and/or foil, so nothing drops in, aerate, pitch yeast, snap lid on.

• Place in fermentation area or chamber: Bucket has a handle.

• Insert airlock: First spray Starsan around the grommet.

To take gravity samples without lifting the lid, you can sneak a skinny 1/4" tube down the grommet hole. Always sanitize that lid area when doing so. Reinsert airlock.

When ready to rack clean the lid and area around the rim very well (small washcloth), spray Starsan liberally around and underneath that rim area. Do it again. Then pry off the lid carefully and slowly (use that special plastic prying tool if you must).
Wipe the bucket rim with a small washcloth soaked in Starsan (not dripping).

Rack with an autosiphon or racking cane and a racking cane clip that clips on the bucket edge and holds the cane in place, along the side. While racking, cover the bucket opening with a clean and sanitized lid and/or foil, so nothing drops in.

Clean the bucket and lid as outlined above. Some hot PBW and that soft scrubbing sponge do wonders, or use a nylon non-abrasive brush. You can also soak in warm water with some PBW or washing soda. Rinse, sanitize and (important!) let dry. Store with lid loosely on top to prevent dirt and dust from falling in.

Yes! I like this bucket idea. I like the ability to see the bubbles in the clear carboy, sanitizing seems like a huge pain in the ass. I will look very seriously into this bucket idea.

Speaking of sanitizing, I manage a restaurant where we have sanitizer pre mixed with water to make it food safe. Do you guys think this is good enough for beer? My plan is to just bring all my equipment into work and clean it there.

Yes! I like this bucket idea. I like the ability to see the bubbles in the clear carboy, sanitizing seems like a huge pain in the ass. I will look very seriously into this bucket idea.

Speaking of sanitizing, I manage a restaurant where we have sanitizer pre mixed with water to make it food safe. Do you guys think this is good enough for beer? My plan is to just bring all my equipment into work and clean it there.

Sure, the carboy gives you a nice display of a torrent in a big glass bottle with foam and all, but realize it should be kept in a temperature controlled environment for better beer results. So it will be in a plastic tote or large cooler with water and a few ice bottles in a cool spot in the house. It should also be covered to protect from light, sunlight in particular. So much for display, unless you make a Saison, they like it warm.

Once you've seen it, the display is not that important anymore. The results, good beer, is what you're after.

Carboys, either glass or plastic, are much harder to clean than buckets. Glass is also heavy, slippery, and potentially very dangerous. Yes, it has its uses, but those are beyond basic brewing. The bucket is the easiest and cheapest alternative.

If you're really serious into home brewing, please read John Palmer's How to Brew (linked to an older and a bit dated online edition) or better yet, buy the book (2006, 3rd edition, about $12 at B&N). It's indispensable. A new, 4th edition seems to be in the works, but that will be a while.

Sanitation:
The book goes into cleaning and sanitation. Everything that touches your wort or beer after the boil needs to be sanitized. Everything: vessels, lids, stoppers, stirrers, hoses, funnels, strainers, hydrometer, yeast pouch, yeast re-hydration cup, air lock, thief, racking canes, siphons, tubing, bottle bucket, bottles, caps, bottle fillers... again, everything!

Sanitation also should be done immediately before you use it, so from that perspective you need to sanitize where you brew, test, rack, and bottle. Besides for food service having different sanitation standards than brewing, there's no point to schlep all that stuff back and forth, it will not remain sanitized by brewing standards. Cleaning and sanitation is way easier than it sounds. Palmer says: "After a while, it becomes 2nd nature" [sic]. And it does!

Get an 8 or 16oz bottle of Starsan. 1 oz makes 5 gallons (I usually only prepare 2.5 gallons) and you can keep it in a (covered) bucket for weeks. A spray bottle is very handy too. The stuff works quickly and your equipment remains sanitized while wet or foamed up. It's a no-rinse sanitizer, don't fear the foam!

Please read the different sections and stickies on this board. If you know a home brewer, attend a brew day with him or her, or participate in a brew class at a Brew Store if it all looks confusing. Or YouTube.

HBT and Google are your best resources.

Let's get brewing!

IT'S ME AGAIN!

So, check out what I got:

img_3102.jpg

Thanks for the advice. It's an amazing book with tons of information- much of which is above my head at this moment- but the more I read the more I learn.

I've also made a list of my needs to start my first brew:

5-gallon stainless steel pot with lid
Digital thermometer
Propane burner
Food-safe 6.5 gallon bucket (with a lid and a grommet for fermenting)
An airlock for the fermenter
A syphon with a racking cane and bottle filler attachment
Measuring cups and stirring spoons
Bottle brush
Bottle caps
Bench capper
A ****load of starsan sanitizer

I'm still considering another bucket for a bottling bucket... And I'm not sure about what kind of airlock- Do you guys like the 3 piece or the bubble?

HALP! I'm gathering equipment rapidly- and your advice has been more than helpful.. <3

Back