Checking FG in glass carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkiller001

Reaction score
Hey all:
I have my imperial stout sitting in my basement in a glass carboy. Its been there a little over 2 weeks, and I'm getting ready to bottle it.
I have two questions:
1) how do I know if I need to pitch a second yeast before bottling? does temperature make a difference? I'm in Philly, and there's been a cold snap (and my heater broke... :drunk:)
2) what's the best way to check the gravity without taking all the beer out of the carboy? there's a fair amount to dried krausen above the brew, so I can't put the hydrometer directly in and get a reading...

if there's still kraeusen, you don't need to check it yet, you just need to chill and let it do its thing.
But anyway, the best way to get some out is to get a graduated cylinder that your hydrometer will fit in and a "thief", which is basically a glass tube. You put the thief in, stick your thumb over the end, and pull it out (with beer in it), then put that beer in the graduated cylinder, then you can measure.

the krausen has settled back, but has left it's mark, and there is a huge cake at the bottom of the carboy.
Is there a way to do it without buying more equipment? or some DIY type project? I'm a bit tapped out after the new carboy, and the grains/malt for this bad-boy...

Did your hydrometer come in a plastic tube? You could use that as your sample container in a pinch. Then you just need the famous turkey baster to get your sample out.

Does the racking cane seem like a reasonable substitue?

And how about the other question:
Additional yeast?

Why would you pitch more yeast? It has only been a couple weeks right? I have heard of people having success bottle conditioning after several months in secondary. There is plenty of yeast in suspension.

Racking cane might work, but you'll probably have to do numerous dips to get enough for a sample. Just put it in, plug the end with your thumb and pull it out. Like you did as a kid with a straw in your pop.

S3N8:
I've read that additional yeast will help with carbonation in "larger" beers (this one started at 1.085 -- and my readings tend to be low). Not to mention that my heater is broken, and I'm worried that the temperatures in my basement may be causing the yeast to settle out: as I said above, the yeast/sediment cake is huge.

S3N8:
I've read that additional yeast will help with carbonation in "larger" beers (this one started at 1.085 -- and my readings tend to be low). Not to mention that my heater is broken, and I'm worried that the temperatures in my basement may be causing the yeast to settle out: as I said above, the yeast/sediment cake is huge.

I bottled a 1.096 Barleywine after a month in primary, a couple weeks in secondary, temps in the high 60s. No problem. 3 weeks, fully carbed. Its still got a way to go till it hits its stride, its only 3 months old, but fully carbed. Seriously... there is still plenty of yeast.

Sanitized turkey baster works nicely.

I have a 6.5 gallon carboy and was worried about the length of a turkey baster that I would need to get a sample of wort out with. So, I go to several stores, and finally find one that seems like it will be long enough. So I pick it up, bring it home, sanitize my hydrometer and the baster, then stick it in the carboy, and then angered eyes and cuss words. I was literally hovering over the surface of the wort about 2 mm. So, it looks like I'll be getting a thief.

While on topic, what do you guys/girls think about that thief from Fermtech that you can put a hydrometer into and then take a sample and then put the wort back when you're done. Its the one that looks like the outer shell of an auto siphon. I realize that I won't be able to "sample taste" the wort but more beer in the end I guess.

While on topic, what do you guys/girls think about that thief from Fermtech that you can put a hydrometer into and then take a sample and then put the wort back when you're done. Its the one that looks like the outer shell of an auto siphon. I realize that I won't be able to "sample taste" the wort but more beer in the end I guess.

I love the "Wine Thief" which I believe is essentially the same thing (gravity plunger at the bottom of the plastic tube). Easily accomodates the hydrometer and easy to read the results. When your all done, hit the plunger stem against the inside neck of the carboy and all the beer goes back in the fermenter....no more lost samples!!! :tank:

Just remember to save that last half inch for a lil taste test.

Lost samples? Lost samples!? None of my samples were lost! I know right where they went when my hydrometer was done with 'em! :D

Sample taking tips I learned:
1) If your turkey baster is too short add a piece of tubing to the end.
2) If you have an auto-siphon take the center plunger out and the outer tube works like a thief.

Sample taking tips I learned:
1) If your turkey baster is too short add a piece of tubing to the end.
2) If you have an auto-siphon take the center plunger out and the outer tube works like a thief.

that too, and very smart, are you a genius by chance?

Great idea BTW. I have an auto siphon that I broke trying to clean some hops out. I refused to throw it away because I knew I would find something to do with it, eventually, someday, down the road...

I wouldn't recommend putting your test smaple back in...It's just a few oz's and a huge risk cor contamination. No need...Swallow!
-E

Back