check this out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tellish33

Reaction score
This isn't the greatest pic or the best glass (coke glass from McDonald's) but its a GREAT homebrew. This is my second brew, Shot In The Dark.

ForumRunner_20120411_214537.jpg

That looks pretty bad. If you need to you could send the rest of them to me and I will dispose of them for you.

Jk. Looks great

Share the recipe!!!! It looks great

No problem. Here it is.

SHOT IN THE DARK
5 Gallons

Ingredients:
1/2 lb DME (for starter)
7 lbs Dark DME
1/2 lb U.S. Crystal 20
1/2 lb U.K. Chocolate Malt
1/2 lb U.K. Roasted Barley
1/4 lb Hersheys Unsweetened Cocoa
1/2 lb Brown Sugar
1/2 lb Dark Roast Coffee (ground)
16 HBU Perle Hops (Bittering Hop)

Yeast WLP001 (California Ale)

O.G. 1.073-77
F.G. 1.010-22

They say to ferment for 1 week in primary. Make a coffee cold extraction 24 hrs before you rack to secondary. 1/2lb coffee with 24 oz of cold tap water. Add strained coffee mixture to secondary and then rack. Leave beer in secondary for 2 weeks, prime, botttle and age for 2 or more weeks. (The beer will get better with age)

Here is what I did:
Brew Day was 1-22-12 O.G. was 1.074
1-29-12 added coffee mixture
2-8-12 transfered to carboy
3-10-12 bottled F.G. was 1.020

(1.074-1.020)x131.25=7.8%

I didnt follow precisely but it still turned out great. There was a death in my wifes family so things got thrown off a little. This does get better as it ages. Good luck! Let me know how it turns out if you try it.

Make your wort using 2 gallons of water. Bring water to a boil. When water is boiling, add DME, brown sugar and cocoa. Return water to a boil and add the bittering hops. Boil for 60 minutes. Cool to 75. Add 2 3/4 gallons of room temp water, aerate and pitch yeast starter.

No problem. Here it is.

SHOT IN THE DARK
5 Gallons

Ingredients:
1/2 lb DME (for starter)
7 lbs Dark DME
1/2 lb U.S. Crystal 20
1/2 lb U.K. Chocolate Malt
1/2 lb U.K. Roasted Barley
1/4 lb Hersheys Unsweetened Cocoa
1/2 lb Brown Sugar
1/2 lb Dark Roast Coffee (ground)
16 HBU Perle Hops (Bittering Hop)

Yeast WLP001 (California Ale)

O.G. 1.073-77
F.G. 1.010-22

They say to ferment for 1 week in primary. Make a coffee cold extraction 24 hrs before you rack to secondary. 1/2lb coffee with 24 oz of cold tap water. Add strained coffee mixture to secondary and then rack. Leave beer in secondary for 2 weeks, prime, botttle and age for 2 or more weeks. (The beer will get better with age)

Here is what I did:
Brew Day was 1-22-12 O.G. was 1.074
1-29-12 added coffee mixture
2-8-12 transfered to carboy
3-10-12 bottled F.G. was 1.020

(1.074-1.020)x131.25=7.8%

I didnt follow precisely but it still turned out great. There was a death in my wifes family so things got thrown off a little. This does get better as it ages. Good luck! Let me know how it turns out if you try it.

Wow thats very interesting!!! Cocoa and coffee, great!

I have to apologize. I do not know. This was a kit put together by my LHBS. I can do a little more investigating tomorrow. I know it is a Perle hop. They call this a Imperial Mocha Stout. Let me see if I can find out the AA and qty.

Wow thats very interesting!!! Cocoa and coffee, great!

YES! Its GREAT! My third brew was a Founders Breakfast Stout clone. Just did it two weeks ago. Its still in primary. It has two different coffees (1 in primary, 1 in secondary) and 2 different chocolates at the end of the boil (dominican cocoa nibs and bakers chocolate). Cant wait for this one!

For anyone still interested...I called my LHBS and they said the Alpha Acid is 6.5% and it was 2oz. of 16 HBU Perle Hops. Sorry it took awhile to follow up.

This is definitely a GREAT beer!

For anyone still interested...I called my LHBS and they said the Alpha Acid is 6.5% and it was 2oz. of 16 HBU Perle Hops. Sorry it took awhile to follow up.

This is definitely a GREAT beer!

HBU = AA% * wgt (for 5 gallon batch)
=> 6.5 * 2
=> 13

Any idea how they get 16? I may be way off base here, I only just read the HBU calculation yesterday. :)

It must be 2.5 oz. If you to that formula with 2.5, then you get 16.25. I would assume that would be the 16 HBUs. Sorry, I probably just didn't hear him clearly.

Back