Check out my recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Nice Guy

Reaction score
Two questions, does this sound good, and what style is it? I'm calling it an amber ale right now. Here goes... (it was brewed yeserday) Thanks!

Pre-boil "tea"

4 oz crystal 40
2 oz special roast

Then...
6# light DME
1 oz Fuggles bittering
1/4 oz Hallertau bittering

Then after that I added:
3/4 oz Fuggles
3/4 oz Hallertau
These were added continously during the boil with "major" additions at 30, 15, 5, and 1 minutes

Nottingham Yeast

I was going to do an ordinary bitters with 4.5# DME and the Fuggles only but after steeping the special roast I thought it might be a bit tangy so I went for a bigger beer.

I'd bump up the 60min additions to get 30+ IBU and call it a ESB. 1.5 oz of both should do it.
hopville . "ESB" Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale) Recipe
Here it is at over 30 IBU,
http://hopville.com/recipe/71377/ex...glish-pale-ale-recipes/esb-2009-06-17-version
More crystal would be good too, like 8 oz or so.

edit,
Sorry, just realized you brewed it already. IsoHop.
http://morebeer.com/view_product/7835/102162/IsoHop_Bitterness_Extract_1_oz
A few oz of malto dextrin would be good in it as well.

What was the boil volume?

A little light on the hops and specialty grains IMHO...though you could call it a British Pale Ale.

OK, Cool. I thought it might be a little weak on the specialty grains, high on the DME too. I did this because I planned on doing something different but I thought the special roast might overpower it upon tasting. I wish I would have thrown twice as much crystal in, but it's all good'

I started off with a 4.5 gallon boil and added 1 gal cold water to it for a total of 5 gallons. My OG was 1.059

I like the fact that this could be a bitter or a pale ale, mmm....

Thanks again and I'll let ya'll know how this turns out.

Maybe it will come out good, I just wanted a good old plain beer. (but awesome of course)

Back