Cheap container to make lager yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valvefan

Reaction score
Hi all

I want to make a lager but my Erlenmeyer flask is only 2 litres. I have read that 4 litre starters are appropriate for 20 litre (5 gal) batches of lager. Are there any cheap alternatives to buying a 5 litre flask to make my lager starters?

Thanks

Valvefan

I use a gallon milk jug to start with 3L then step it up with another 2L after that. As long as the bottom is flat ish it seems to work fine on my stir plate. The plate is a little too small to keep the jug balanced so I put the plate with the jug on it inside a bucket to keep it from tipping.

One gallon glass jugs work great for starters. You can usually find them with cheap wine you can drink or pour down the drain, for less than the empty price with shipping.

My LHBS has 1 gallon jugs for $4. I haven't moved up to a flask and agitation and they work great (my efficiency is lower though).

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Back