Cheap compact wort pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In post #850 I wrote about them not being food grade. I contacted the manufacture and they said the particular one I had wasn't. It seems to be just like the eBay ones. Anyways from post #850 and further on I talked about it.
Got myself a chugger pump and gave the black one to a friend who used it to transfer heating oil.

just a recap since its not mentioned on this thread these black ones have been confirmed to be NOT food grade...
I don't know if you can group all the black pumps together. I'm still waiting to hear from US Solar, but I was told that the black pumps from DG Shenpeng are not good for boiling temperature food use. I'm still waiting for a follow up response to see if they are food safe at lower temperatures. I'm wondering if recirculating mash in the 150-160 degree area is ok? I'll let you know about both if they get back to me.

I don't know if you can group all the black pumps together. I'm still waiting to hear from US Solar, but I was told that the black pumps from DG Shenpeng are not good for boiling temperature food use. I'm still waiting for a follow up response to see if they are food safe at lower temperatures. I'm wondering if recirculating mash in the 150-160 degree area is ok? I'll let you know about both if they get back to me.

Your absolutely correct, Im talking about the "cheap" black pumps... They are the ones being sold for under $50.. like the ones liked in this thread. I dont remember if it was this thread but I mentioned that companies like topsflo ,us solar and even greatbreweh seem to have different ones made to thier specs and likely made from different materials... I know some of them use coated magnets.

I am interested to know if they are ok for lower temps as I have one as well

The pump I bought is listed as ABS and food safe. The Shenpeng website markets this pump for hot food applications.

Do you mind providing a link to the web page for your pump? I believe I had the same one....the info on the label of mine matched the label of the one you had posted pictures of. I had trouble finding it on the Shenpeng website.

Do you mind providing a link to the web page for your pump? I believe I had the same one....the info on the label of mine matched the label of the one you had posted pictures of. I had trouble finding it on the Shenpeng website.

http://www.dgshenpeng.com/en_asp/newsshow.asp?id=203

"Our research and development that the high-temperature food-grade pump can solve two problems above it?" (Food grade at high temperature) "The answer is : You have fully realized !"

There you have it in plainly English. :)

I don't know what pump they're talking about, or if they know what they're talking about, or if they care whether any of it is true, but they're claiming FDA approval for an ABS pump.

There's really no way to know. There could be 10 factories building a pump that looks the same. China is the "replica with no regard for copyright" country. The only way to know for sure is to have direct contact with us manufacturer and probably order 100,000 units. They can say anything they want on eBay or their website. Who's gonna check if they're telling the truth?

I almost guarantee that the FDA has never heard of, nor approved any thing to do with these pumps. Instead of asking the factory in China if they're food safe, why not ask the FDA? There's got to be a way to cross that bridge... At least the answer would be in English.

I just was in contact with the FDA and they stated that they have nothing to do with things like water pumps. According to them there is no such thing as "FDA approval" on a water pump.

At best, manufactures can claim use of FDA approved materials. Even that can be ambiguous, because that approval can change depending on what's coming in contact with the materials (pH levels, alcohol . . . ) not to mention contact time and temperature considerations. The takeaway is that you have to do your own research to determine the level of risk.

In a lawsuit happy environment it’s no surprise that the distributers of these pumps are shying away from “food safe” claims. That doesn’t mean that they’re not safe. It means they’re being told by their lawyers to cover their butts.

Hey all. Just received my black cheap pump from eBay. I am a noob when it comes to wiring these things. I have searched the post and forum for pics or drawings illustrating this but am having a hard time to find simple easy-to-understand drawings. Can anyone help a new AG brewer out?

I am thinking of adding an on/off switch and have several laptop power supply/cords that can be used.

Need 12 volts DC...a couple amps of power, and an on off switch. Pretty simple... Red positive, black negative. Not much of a diagram needed...

Hey all. Just received my black cheap pump from eBay. I am a noob when it comes to wiring these things. I have searched the post and forum for pics or drawings illustrating this but am having a hard time to find simple easy-to-understand drawings. Can anyone help a new AG brewer out?

I am thinking of adding an on/off switch and have several laptop power supply/cords that can be used.

It's not hard at all. Run your hot wire from the power supply to your switch. From your switch wire the hot into your pump. Same thing with the negative side.

Sent from DMAC's iPhone using Home Brew

I took a guess at it and it appears to work: motor turns on - not sure if it pumps water yet as I need some cam-lock fittings to hook things up and run water through.

The computer power supply/cord is 12VDC and 2A. Both wires are the same color - no idea which is hot or cold and I don't own a multimeter - next purchase.

Connected the two wires to the pump wires. First time it didn't do anything when plugged in. Then I swapped the wires since I thought they were backwards. Then it worked! Yahtzee!

No switch installed yet - may make a trip to HD to buy one tomorrow. I'll repost when I am able to get that working, and when I get it to pump water.

Just got a couple of the Solar clone black pumps from Amazon. $29 and free shipping. Hooked up and amazed at the power and flow of this little thing. Perfect for my use for recirculating the mash and handling the counter flow cooling. My friend has a March and I wouldn't trade since the flow is perfect and is almost silent compared to the screaming of his pump. Plus 1/4 the price.

The pump I bought is listed as ABS and food safe. The Shenpeng website markets this pump for hot food applications.
Were?

did you buy this one?

http://www.dgshenpeng.com/en_asp/productshow.asp?id=808

Thats the one I have and that company states in is not food safe... they claim that the plastic is abs and that it should be food safe but not nesessarily at hot temps... they also state that they use an uncoated magnet which comes in direct contact with the liquid your pumping (uses it for coolant actually) and uncoated magnets are not used in foodsafe pumps....

I have since switched to 24v versions of these which I had also been using the 12v versions of for a while... the 24v version matches the flow of the black ones mentioned here and are built for food applications with ppe plastic and coated magnets... they also are waterproof unlike the black ones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6M-19-6FT-H...524?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cecc41e34

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-Elec...685?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cecc0bba5

For what it's worth, I got an email back from US Solar about their black pump after asking about using it with near boiling liquids. I have a US Solar and one of the knock-offs. I use clone for recirculating mash for about five minutes and then pumping to kettle. Never gets much over 165 degrees. The US Solar is used to whirlpool after boil while chilling and does see near boiling temperatures for a short time.

Yes the pump is made with all food grade materials.

Michael Kehoe
US Solar Pumps
570-780-9524

Were?

did you buy this one?

http://www.dgshenpeng.com/en_asp/productshow.asp?id=808

Thats the one I have and that company states in is not food safe... they claim that the plastic is abs and that it should be food safe but not nesessarily at hot temps... they also state that they use an uncoated magnet which comes in direct contact with the liquid your pumping (uses it for coolant actually) and uncoated magnets are not used in foodsafe pumps....]

The pump I have is marked as model 4580K, not 4511.

Just as a data point, I received this from USSolar pumps in regards to whether or not their ceramic ferrite maget on the impeller is food grade coated

"
They are not coated nor do they need to be.
Michael Kehoe
US Solar Pumps
570-780-9524

GreatBrewEH has stated many times that their magnets are coated, Chugger and March coat theirs with stainless steel, so I'm not sure where Mike is coming from.

[...] I'm not sure where Mike is coming from.
I don't know what US Solar uses, but there are grades of stainless that are magnetic and food safe. What ever the case, I trust that he knows what he's talking about. It's your prerogative to choose not to.

Well as another member was told in a response email by the company that makes the topsflo and us solar black pumps in question that these types of pumps without some sort of coating over the bare magnet are not actually able to be FDA approved to be foodsafe so I think thats what hes getting at... While "Mike" May be making the point that the magnet is non harmful and will not leach harmful minerals or chemicals into the wort as far as he understands. the Canadian company actually has these pumps especially modified and speced with coated magnets for their distribution as far as I know.

I don't know what US Solar uses, but there are grades of stainless that are magnetic and food safe. What ever the case, I trust that he knows what he's talking about. It's your prerogative to choose not to.
Hmm this statement from "Mike" is coming from a guy whos distributing, rebranding and selling many different pumps from many different manufacturers overseas, He is selling and profiting from these right? Not to accuse anyone of anything but you cant blame a guy for taking that statement with a grain of salt... The distributor is often last to find out when the maker takes shortcuts for profit themselves...Im not sure which pump we are even referring to for sure since US solar sells/rebrands a lot of chinese brands of pumps it seems including the tan ones with the actual food grade coated magnets.. at least they are selling them with their name on them on ebay.

BTW I dont believe the magnets are stainless at all....That would make a very very weak motor. They are just bare magnets at least my little black pump that shared the same manufacturer just has a bare black magnet. which is very I switched to the FDA approved tan ones with an actual coated magnet and non ABS housing...

Sorry, my bad- the pump I asked about was the TS5 Stainless model. Same model most people have if they have the little black pump

Hmm this statement from "Mike" is coming from a guy whos distributing, rebranding and selling many different pumps from many different manufacturers overseas, He is selling and profiting from these right? Not to accuse anyone of anything but you cant blame a guy for taking that statement with a grain of salt... The distributor is often last to find out when the maker takes shortcuts for profit themselves...Im not sure which pump we are even referring to for sure since US solar sells/rebrands a lot of chinese brands of pumps it seems including the tan ones with the actual food grade coated magnets.. at least they are selling them with their name on them on ebay.

BTW I dont believe the magnets are stainless at all....That would make a very very weak motor. They are just bare magnets at least my little black pump that shared the same manufacturer just has a bare black magnet. which is very I switched to the FDA approved tan ones with an actual coated magnet and non ABS housing...

US Solar is a large and reputable pump company, not just "Mike" reselling some **** he got off of Alibaba.

which is very I switched to the FDA approved tan ones with an actual coated magnet and non ABS housing...
From what I've read previously here, none of the pump are FDA approved. At best they are made of materials that are FDA approved under very specific conditions.

BTW I dont believe the magnets are stainless at all....That would make a very very weak motor.
Are you saying that you know for a fact the 400 series stainless would make a weak motor? It has the same attraction to magnetic forces as steel and is the stuff used to make induction ready cookware. Can you make a magnet from it? I don't know.

What makes you so sure that you're not being lied to when it comes to the tan pumps and the material they're made from? Believe what you want to believe if it helps you sleep better. At some point we have to make our own judgement call as to the real life dangers involved. Your persistence sounds more like and attempt to convince yourself that you've made the right choice, and you want everyone else to follow along.

From what I've read previously here, none of the pump are FDA approved. At best they are made of materials that are FDA approved under very specific conditions.

Are you saying that you know for a fact the 400 series stainless would make a weak motor? It has the same attraction to magnetic forces as steel and is the stuff used to make induction ready cookware. Can you make a magnet from it? I don't know.

What makes you so sure that you're not being lied to when it comes to the tan pumps and the material they're made from? Believe what you want to believe if it helps you sleep better. At some point we have to make our own judgement call as to the real life dangers involved. Your persistence sounds more like and attempt to convince yourself that you've made the right choice, and you want everyone else to follow along.
Not at all but I am trying to clear up what being said here with whats already been discovered by others here including myself to be untrue assumptions.
I'm simply stating how I interpreted the info when I researched it and stopped using my black pump.

here is the pump I use..http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brushless-1...f57&pid=100009&prg=20131227121020&rk=1&rkt=4&. or http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Solar-H...497?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58b5b1ffc9 Its the last one listed and every single distributor advertises it as food grade PPE plastic which is VERY unlike the plastic black ones which sellers answers range from yes to no as far as food safe and the manufacturing company that makes them stated while they are safe as far as they know they have not been tested or certified and are made of abs plastic(which is not fda approved above 170 degrees in most cases) with exposed magnets.
Here are the black ones that normally have uncoated magnets (keep in mind there are NO fda approved pumps with exposed magnets, must be a reason right?) so unless US solar has these made with spaecial magnets as great brew NOW does they will have regular exposed magnets.(BTW great brew had to go to the manufacturer and pay extra to have their pumps specially made with coated magnets, this is what brought the price up on them according to their website)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-Hot-W...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2c62c88300
I pulled both of these apart and the tan ones do have sealed magnets so the only thing touching the wort is plastic, ceramic and a stainless disc inside the pump.

I know mine does not have a stainless magnet because stainless while magnetic if its the right grade still has piss poor magnetic properties. the weaker the magnet the weaker the pump. Plus I pulled mine apart and found the same black magnet material as you would find in a regular small dc motor. also the same man made material as some refrigerator magnets. Its not metal... drop it on the floor and it breaks. But since you have one of these pumps in question its easy enough for you to pull it apart and look just as I did with mine right?

US Solar is a large and reputable pump company, not just "Mike" reselling some **** he got off of Alibaba.

Look I'm not implying anything what I am saysing if when you get a quote like the one above which doesnt explain anything from anyone whos selling that product IMHO I would take it with a grain of salt.
What does large reputable company mean? Are you implying that they actually designed and manufacture their pumps? Because short of that I dont see what would make them so reputable? Especially with the poor explanation on whether the pump is food safe or not like previously quoted? The fact is that the pumps they sell are exact clones of multiple Chinese pumps made by different manufactures... this means that the us solar ones are at least made in china and unless every other company is taking thiers molds and making copies then yes they are just distributors of rebranded goods like many other American companies these days who try to make it seem otherwise.

I for one would really like some clarification of who makes what and what the differences really are?
Since you know more than me about this company and these pumps maybe to can clarify things a bit?
I really would be thrilled to be proven wrong and if the "US Solar" pumps are in fact made differently by us solar themselves to better standards I would purchase them but I see NO evidence of this. So far the only difference that's been shown is higher prices than the counterparts direct from china...

Toyota is a large reputable company, and they knew the prius had an issue with their electronic throttle sending units. They chose to sell them anyway. Just saying...

Additionally, I know 400 series stainless would make for a damn weak pump. Yes, it IS magnetic to an extent, but not nearly as much as mild steel. It can have something stick to it, but you will rarely, if ever, see stainless steel magnets being marketed as exceedingly strong.

Additionally, I know 400 series stainless would make for a damn weak pump. Yes, it IS magnetic to an extent, but not nearly as much as mild steel. It can have something stick to it, but you will rarely, if ever, see stainless steel magnets being marketed as exceedingly strong.

Not to mention that grades of stainless that are magnetic can and do rust because of the higher amount of ferrous steel in it.... that wouldn't make a very good pump for food liquids..

Not to mention that grades of stainless that are magnetic can and do rust because of the higher amount of ferrous steel in it.... that wouldn't make a very good pump for food liquids..
Funny that everything from cutlery to surgical instruments to, yes, valves and pumps are made with different 400 series stainless. You better get on their forums and tell them to stop.

Funny that everything from cutlery to surgical instruments to, yes, valves and pumps are made with different 400 series stainless. You better get on their forums and tell them to stop.
I know all about it.... Just spent $80 on a kitchen knife for Christmas that requires hand washing because of it... and yes I have had them rust. With Cutley and surgical instruments its a tradeoff for a hardered grade of metal that will hold a better edge longer... but a knife is easy to clean and dry.
stainless pumps are almost always a regular 304 or 316 stainless and those are and independent pump head driven by a regular motor without the liquid being used to cool the internals of that motor like these small dc pumps...

That said, I'm not saying I couldnt be wrong. Im proven wrong all the time,
Please show me an example of one of these pumps your talking about? Hell I'd like to just see a an example where they use stainless steel instead of magnets in a motor...

Point being before you took me on this wild goose chase we were talking about these us solar style pump and the "clones" sold under other names and the magnets in them.... As I already stated I own one labeled under the manufacturers logo (The swirl mark on the body indicates shenpeng I believe?) do you? and I pulled mine apart to find the magnet is the same material as in all my brushless aquarium pump heads...

You should pull yours apart and share pictures and end all this if your so sure is stainless steel?

Funny how there are countless alloys of stainless steel, where some alloys are less prone to rust than others.

Also, a pump is by definition not one and the same as the motor driving the pump (the magnetic part). For a perfectly food grade pump, the pump housing would be sealed from the motor (like chugger and the likes).

Wikipedia is a good place to start if you want to know more about these subjects.

The more magnetic stainless is the easier it will rust period... Jorgensk did a good job of simplifying what I was trying to say.

BTW most induction cook wear uses a 4xx grade of stainless attached to the bottom of the cook wear on the outside where its subjected to the heat but not directly to the food.... not all but most. some sandwich the metal in the bottom.

I pulled mine apart to find the magnet is the same material as in all my brushless aquarium pump heads...

You should pull yours apart and share pictures and end all this if your so sure is stainless steel?
On the left is the clone. On the right the US Solar. Both have sat for over three weeks without being taken apart. Both magnets were still wet when I took them apart. If this rust buggy man you worry so much about were an issue it would have started to form by now.

Unlike you, I don’t have the ability to look at the magnet material and know its composition. They look pretty close to the same to me. I don’t know what material they’re made of or if there is a thin transparent coating. What I do know is neither one show any signs of anything that would suggest that they are contaminating my wort. No rust. No corrosion. No wear. No reason to believe that what US Solar is saying about the magnet is not true.

DSCF5469.jpg

I know all about it.... Just spent $80 on a kitchen knife for Christmas that requires hand washing because of it... and yes I have had them rust.
Congratulations on the purchase. My (highly magnetic) inferior Cutco knives have been mishandled for almost 20 years and show no signs of rust or corrosion. Guess I’m just lucky, but if your knives are rusting with normal use, you might want to get your money back.

BTW most induction cook wear uses a 4xx grade of stainless attached to the bottom of the cook wear on the outside where its subjected to the heat but not directly to the food.... not all but most. some sandwich the metal in the bottom.
All the magnetic induction cookware that I've seen is the same stainless top to bottom. The difference being that some have aluminum or copper clad bottoms to distribute the heat and they don't need special treatment to prevent rust.

Latest posts

Back