Cheap compact wort pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may have assumed this already but some of the chinese sellers are actually using US based warehouses to ship from now to cut down on the shipping time.
I Doubt "Ying" is a Texan...
I suggest waiting to leave any feedback for a while...Its strong motivation for them to be responsive if you have issues with the pump.

You may have assumed this already but some of the chinese sellers are actually using US based warehouses to ship from now to cut down on the shipping time.
I suggest waiting to leave any feedback for a while...Its strong motivation for them to be responsive if you have issues with the pump.

Yes, I did assume that Ying was not Texan, and probably an USA re seller of a Chinses pump

Shipping was SUPER fast!!!

Steve

:rolleyes:
Chinese is Chinese, buy cheap and take our chances, most times it works out great. I have had very good response buying off EBay, not so good on Alibaba.
Great response from vendors on the forum including those selling Chinese components.
Bought 3 ITC-1000 temp controllers, one had a issue and was quickly replaced!

I purchased a Second pump off ebay, as a replacement.

from Seller = yingsale123

The pump actually shipped from Texas
The pump worked while i was installing it.
I am going to test it this weekend

Shipping was SUPER FAST

I can not recommend the seller further, as i have not tested it fully
I am not the seller, or related to the seller.

I just thought yous guys would like to know of a US seller of the pump

=$17

Steve

I just ordered 2 of these from Ying... going to use ball valves to control flow. Need to find some nice cheap DC converters

I just ordered 2 of these from Ying... going to use ball valves to control flow. Need to find some nice cheap DC converters

I dug up the plug and play power supplies from the early parts of this thread.

THESE

Hoping these are still the best choice for the 12v tan pump...

Last edited by a moderator:
I dug up the plug and play power supplies from the early parts of this thread.

THESE

Hoping these are still the best choice for the 12v tan pump...

I have two of those exact power supplies that came with other devices that have failed... my opinion is buy an extra because they dont last long. one was actually bad when new.

Last edited by a moderator:

These Chinese sellers that are using us warehouses will definitely respond to missing or bad reviews. I just bought a cheap 7" touchscreen from an Amazon seller that claimed to be and ended up shipping from inside the U.S. The driver board was DOA on arrival. I sent the seller notice and warned others in my review to be cautious. As a result I didn't have to use the Amazon return system and instead they sent me a complete kit as a replacement (the touchscreen is actually 2 different devices that can both be bought separately from the same seller). They could/should have just sent me a replacement screen or at least just the driver board. And they sent it next day fedex. All the while begging me to hurry up and change my review.

These Chinese sellers that are using us warehouses will definitely respond to missing or bad reviews. I just bought a cheap 7" touchscreen from an Amazon seller that claimed to be and ended up shipping from inside the U.S. The driver board was DOA on arrival. I sent the seller notice and warned others in my review to be cautious. As a result I didn't have to use the Amazon return system and instead they sent me a complete kit as a replacement (the touchscreen is actually 2 different devices that can both be bought separately from the same seller). They could/should have just sent me a replacement screen or at least just the driver board. And they sent it next day fedex. All the while begging me to hurry up and change my review.

So far every similar situation I've been in resulted in the same type of treatment... I recently had an android tv box (for kodi/xbmc) that failed after I left positive feedback... they still had me ship it to new jersey and shipped me a replacement even though there was no warranty and they weren't obligated to do so..
I see so much talk of bad experiences from ebay and really dont get where it comes from since I have over 1,000 purchases and no such bad experiences? I'm just really lucky I guess?

I may be missing something when it comes to the power supplies you guys are using, I have a 12 volt rechargeable compressor with a 12 volt out "cigarette lighter" jack and a substantial battery inside. Couldn't I just trickle charge the battery and run off the 12 volt out?

I may be missing something when it comes to the power supplies you guys are using, I have a 12 volt rechargeable compressor with a 12 volt out "cigarette lighter" jack and a substantial battery inside. Couldn't I just trickle charge the battery and run off the 12 volt out?

Yes you could... and technically if its a "75 amp hr" battery you could run the pump for just over 75 hrs off one charge...but remember that battery is like 14-13 v which likely wont be an issue.

The thing is , it costs like $7 for a real dc power supply capable of driving the pump correctly.

I just suggest staying away from the cheap wall wort ones myself since I have so may fail... I ordered to replacements in the last two months fore friends laptops that have failed...

Yes you could... and technically if its a "75 amp hr" battery you could run the pump for just over 75 hrs off one charge...but remember that battery is like 14-13 v which likely wont be an issue.

The thing is , it costs like $7 for a real dc power supply capable of driving the pump correctly.

I just suggest staying away from the cheap wall wort ones myself since I have so may fail... I ordered to replacements in the last two months fore friends laptops that have failed...

Do you have a suggestion for the power supply to replace the wall wort?

Ok, I finally started using the 12 volt solar pump to circulate my mash. Works quite well so far. Here is my video [ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FLhvtD_jxlg[/ame]

A couple pages back someone posted a US seller for these pumps. My original lasted around 2 years before I broke off the wires on accident. This one from the US seller has been on and off. It doesn't work well with PWM. It also gets stuck (even after cleaning) just about every time I use it. Hitting it on something hard seems to get it working.

Anyway, it could just be me. But I would be hesitant to purchase from that seller again.

A couple pages back someone posted a US seller for these pumps. My original lasted around 2 years before I broke off the wires on accident. This one from the US seller has been on and off. It doesn't work well with PWM. It also gets stuck (even after cleaning) just about every time I use it. Hitting it on something hard seems to get it working.

Anyway, it could just be me. But I would be hesitant to purchase from that seller again.

I did have one that behaved the same way (I didnt by it from a us seller that I know of) but I kinda got lucky I guess and figured out what was wrong with it.

I dropped and cracked the pump face on one of my extra 12v pumps so at that piont I decided to experiment... I took the magnet/impeller from the 12v pump and swapped it with the finicky 24v pump I had... this completely resolved the issue I was having. for some reason the coating on the magnet of the original was too thick in areas and coming in contact with the pump walls if it got hot and swelled at all it would sometimes stall or not start up...

This was one pump out of the 7 I have bought so far.

I dont really see how the seller makes a difference unless they dont make good on replacing them if a problem is reported to them in a timely matter... These pumps all come from 2 factories and are identical except color shade from what I see. these sellers just buy them in bulk for like 10 bucks a piece and mark them up and sell them. I've actually had Chinese suppliers offer to sell me boxes of product to do the same thing.. US sellers have the time advantage so they usually charge 1/3 or so higher (Sometimes much more) for the same good since many people either want it faster or for some reason are misguided into feeling its better somehow.
There are actually a lot of otherwise unemployed people that just buy and resell this stuff on ebay at a markup to support themselves. They store it in their basement or garage...

The pwm thing could be the frequency of the pwm controller itself..many are for driving leds and not motors.
Even with the right one they are finicky to get at say half speed they seem to go from all or nothing really quick on the knob... This is why I bought a flow meter because it was hard to tell otherwise what was going on.

I'll have to see if I can cannibalise the old and get it working better. The new one is slightly different, maybe just a newer model. I didn't know they came from the same place, I'll keep that in mind if/when I get a new one.

The PWM isn't a big deal for me. I had good luck using an LED PWM to control the old one. A ball valve is just as easy.

Slightly off topic, but I recently saw on ebay a cheaper brewing pump from Australia. Similar specs to the chuggar type pumps but 100$ or so less. Deal breaker was the shipping fees.

Thanks for all the info on this thread. I recently bought a 24v solar pump and AC adapter off ebay along with the PWM speed controller and power button. Used it this past weekend and it worked like a charm. I thought at one point the pump had failed but I soon found out my hop bag was clogging the intake on the kettle (woops). Hopefully I didn't damage the pump. At $18, if I ever do burn up the pump, a replacement won't break the bank. Still making some adjustments but here are a couple picks of the current setup.

Do you have a parts list/links for everything you bought? That looks like a very clean setup, I especially like the black box :mug:

How many amps would you recommend for a single 24v pump? I think 7a would be overkill for me.

1 amp would work but from what I found 2 amp does appear to effect the pumps startup strength for the better.. The 2 or 3 amp supplies are the best value on eBay from what I remember at like $5-7..

1 amp would work but from what I found 2 amp does appear to effect the pumps startup strength for the better.. The 2 or 3 amp supplies are the best value on eBay from what I remember at like $5-7..

Awesome, ordering the pump, power supply, and pwm today!

Do you have a parts list/links for everything you bought? That looks like a very clean setup, I especially like the black box :mug:

I believe that box is the RadioShack Project Enclosure 5x2.5x2". I have since built a "$50 Herms" and moved my pump to a small toolbox seen here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=6927914&postcount=223

If you need actual part numbers I can try to look those up from my emails, but most things were purchased through Ebay(pump/power) and BargainFittings.

I got my 24v pump in the mail, but like everything else I recieve, it arrived broken.

Can I still use it like this, or will it likely break off?

20160226_074555.jpg

I got my 24v pump in the mail, but like everything else I recieve, it arrived broken.

Can I still use it like this, or will it likely break off?

If it works fine and you're not going to return it, glue or JBweld another plastic, steel, or aluminum mounting bracket to the existing one, so you have 4 mounting holes again. That's if you need it mounted. Or use a U-bracket over the pump body.

Thanks, I think I will try to JB weld the broken piece.
I haven't tested it yet, but on the plus side the seller is sending me a new one free of charge so I will have a spare :mug:

I picked up 2 of the 24v pumps. I welded up my own 3 tier gravity stand system, so this is my cheap way to start to get used to using pumps before going to a chugger/march. When I save up that much money I will weld up a single tier stand.

I am planning to use one with a PWM as a whirlpooling pump on my boil kettle with my immersion chiller. Those that use it this way, do you start the pump with 5 min left in the boil to sanitize it with boiling wort? Just wanted to make sure the boiling wort doesn't effect the life span of the pump.
(I have mine mounted directly to the ball valve coming out of my boil kettle via cam lock connector.)

The 2nd one I was just going to use to pump water from my HLT to my mash tun (to speed up gravity). I have seen some people recirc their mash tun. Are you guys just using it as a vorlauf tool basically? No reason to have it constantly recirc in a cooler Mash Tun since it would just cool the mash right?

I picked up 2 of the 24v pumps. I welded up my own 3 tier gravity stand system, so this is my cheap way to start to get used to using pumps before going to a chugger/march. When I save up that much money I will weld up a single tier stand.

I am planning to use one with a PWM as a whirlpooling pump on my boil kettle with my immersion chiller. Those that use it this way, do you start the pump with 5 min left in the boil to sanitize it with boiling wort? Just wanted to make sure the boiling wort doesn't effect the life span of the pump.
(I have mine mounted directly to the ball valve coming out of my boil kettle via cam lock connector.)

The 2nd one I was just going to use to pump water from my HLT to my mash tun (to speed up gravity). I have seen some people recirc their mash tun. Are you guys just using it as a vorlauf tool basically? No reason to have it constantly recirc in a cooler Mash Tun since it would just cool the mash right?
I use them with a rims for recirculating or step mashing as I did yesterday... Was able to step mash and bring my whole mash from 122 to 154 in about 15 minutes yesterday ended up with 83% efficiency on my ESB

I dont use the mounting flanges on any of the 3 pumps I have in my system. I installed the inline with camlock fittings for easy removal if needed but they generally stay permanently installed and I flush them with pbw every couple brews.

I use it with a rims for recirculating or step mashing as I did yeasterday... Was able to step mash and bring my whole mash from 122 to 154 in about 15 minutes yesterday ended up with 83% efficiency on my ESB

I can see how it would be useful with a RIMS set up. But not without.
I have a Hot Rod Heat Stick, but I wouldn't use that in the mash as I doubt it would spread the heat out correctly.
Already starting to look at brew stands I can weld up this summer. Do I got Brutus 10 propane or look into electric... Decisions decisions... oh yeah, and money....

I can see how it would be useful with a RIMS set up. But not without.
I have a Hot Rod Heat Stick, but I wouldn't use that in the mash as I doubt it would spread the heat out correctly.
Already starting to look at brew stands I can weld up this summer. Do I got Brutus 10 propane or look into electric... Decisions decisions... oh yeah, and money....

Herms would be another (cheap) alternative.

Well, I haven't read through all 8237+ posts in this thread but I ended up using the same pump and PWM controller referenced in several posts here and elsewhere. Appreciate folks sharing their ideas.

Plumbed it all in to a project box. I grabbed a 24V DC supply I had from another piece of equipment, and added a DC power jack on the side. Added some SS QD's, and here she is:

2016-02-15_182200977_A493C_iOS.jpg

Well, I haven't read through all 8237+ posts in this thread but I ended up using the same pump and PWM controller referenced in several posts here and elsewhere. Appreciate folks sharing their ideas.

Plumbed it all in to a project box. I grabbed a 24V DC supply I had from another piece of equipment, and added a DC power jack on the side. Added some SS QD's, and here she is:

Got a pic of the inside? Trying to figure out how you got the 'in' and 'out' on the same side of that little box. Since the pump has them in a 'L' configuration.

So, how much into that whole little box? PWM, Power Supply, Pumps, box etc?
I am guessing something similar in costs to mine:

Pump $17.31:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/36116338235...49&var=630516827839&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
PWM $8.55:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-6-30V-12...333969?hash=item21074be091:g:MoEAAMXQyY1TWMQa
Power Supply $11.45
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Strip-1...hash=item3f584197b4:m:m2a-sdFK6dvz6aPa_WrlxQw
Box ??
I put just the controller in a box like this $6.88:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_10008-223-E989NNJL_1z0xc70__?productId=3127463&pl=1

So around $45
I had the power supply already though.

So, how much into that whole little box? PWM, Power Supply, Pumps, box etc?

Not a big eBay fan, prefer to shop Amazon w/ Prime when possible... although you can save a buck here and there on eBay, I find the headache often not worth it.

For me:

24V Pump- $21

PWM controller: $15

QD's- $4 ea.

Project box: $7

CPVC parts/washers: ~$4

Power supply & connectors: $free (I had in my parts bins)

So somewhere in the neighborhood of $55.

Back