Cheap and effective ways to store 50lb sacks of grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check with your local bakery, donut shop or if your local grocery store has an inhouse bakery. Ask for the 2-3 gallon plastic bins that the ingredients come in. They have lids with gaskets so they seal air tight and keep out the critters. They may give them to you or sell for a reasonalable price.
I’ve done this several times at my local Fred Meyers (aka Kroger).They always have these buckets laying around. The only time they didn’t was when they had just thrown them out.
I use these med size buckets for Vienna and Munich malts. The also work great for wood pellets and crab bait buckets.

Also check Craigslist for water storage containers. There’s a whole cadre of buckets used in the commercial food industry. Think corn syrups, honey etc.
I bought 8 gallon buckets w ratcheting lids. It’s been a while but I think I paid $15 or so. Also purchased 20 gallon barrels that we use for emergency water storage, but they could easily be used for grain storage as they have lids w gaskets. It’s a great way to recycle these plastics that would just be thrown away.

Two 5-gallon white buckets. (the white ones are food-grade) I use the black non-gasket snap on lids. The gasketed lids are too hard to remove, and the expensive Gamma lid I tried broke. I store the buckets in my basement utility room; it stays pretty cool year round.

If the bag's not open yet sometimes I just leave it in the bag, and keep it off the floor for a variety of reasons.

For my smaller bags of grain (< 20#) I store them in my Vittles vault.

For my large bag of two row (>50#) I store them in my 70 qt rectangular mash tun.

Back