Characteristics Of A Russian Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gator

Reaction score
in YOUR opinion, what are some universal characteristics that YOU consider "musts" in a RIS brew???

i've created a recipe that i think will be great, but want to make sure i'm not missing something.........big, complex is what i'm looking for w/ this brew - my holiday brew.

just curious, gator

Thick in mouthfeel, slight alcohol warmth, roasted character that doesn't overpower the palate.

Post the recipe. We'll be nice ;)

To me a RIS is a unique beer experience. I like my RIS to pour much "thicker" than other beer. This translates into a lot of body in the beer. The taste ranges from sweet up front that melds into the bitterness from the roasted malts. I like the hop bitterness to balance out the maltiness since its so high gravity. I'd rather not have any hop flavor/aroma in a RIS though.

Some descriptors from my tasting notes of different RIS's include: roasty, coffee, burnt, chocolate, warming alcohol (not hot!), thick mouthfeel, dark tan head, thick.

Thats my impression.

Post the recipe. We'll be nice ;)

To me a RIS is a unique beer experience. I like my RIS to pour much "thicker" than other beer. This translates into a lot of body in the beer. The taste ranges from sweet up front that melds into the bitterness from the roasted malts. I like the hop bitterness to balance out the maltiness since its so high gravity. I'd rather not have any hop flavor/aroma in a RIS though.

Some descriptors from my tasting notes of different RIS's include: roasty, coffee, burnt, chocolate, warming alcohol (not hot!), thick mouthfeel, dark tan head, thick.

Thats my impression.
I wish you would have imparted this knowledge before I brewed mine yesterday!

:tank: Just kidding.

Gator - It does help if you show us a recipe.

posted this a few weeks ago and haven't made any changes....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/looking-help-w-my-ris-122846/

haven't brewed it yet or bought supplies....wanted some experienced taste buds to help.

i'm "so far" satisfied w/ it, and it scored 100% in the little beer tools calculator FWIW.

it's extract w/ steeping grains.

i should add, i'd like to add some vanilla (i think) considering it's a holiday brew and maybe molasses but have no clue how the latter would affect it.

gator

addendum:

i'll be using wlp007 dry enlish ale yeast or something similar if unavailable instead of the high gravity yeast i listed.

gator

Latest posts

Back