Changing my FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whovous

Waterloo Sunset
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I know the numbers I get from BeerSmith or anywhere else are just estimates, but bear with me...

My latest brew is close to finishing. I was at 1.013 yesterday with 14 quarts in my Catalyst fermenter. BeerSmith projects a finish of 1.011. I removed a quart of trub via the Mason jar and replaced it with a quart of RO water to avoid adding O2 when I replaced the jar and reopened the valve. If my math is right, this reduced my SG from 1.013 to 1.012. Did I also change my FG from 1.011 to 1.010? I think so. Am I missing something?

Dilution with a quart of water would indeed drop the current specific gravity by one point. If the beer continues to ferment to the original prediction the dilution would still apply, so 1.010 would be the final gravity...

Cheers!

I would guess that the dilution of the current gravity would also drop the FG. But whether it is one point or 4 or 5 points is all up to the yeast and how much sugar there is that they are able to convert.

Back